The Song Remains "largely the same"

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Doctor Strangelove
Top Up Player

The Song Remains "largely the same"

Post by Doctor Strangelove »

Dear all I recall my post of 19 December 2006 as follows:

"The majority of posts on Bombertalk in the last few weeks have been 'tres negative and disrespectful of the efforts of the Club and players to put us back on top again.

Dermot Brereton was asked after the Carlton game what it would take to make the EFC a top team. He said : a less crowded forward line and elite mid fielder.

Everyone should stop being critics and hop on board. We probably have the most potent forward line in the AFL, a top 3 backline and 3 great young ruck options (Hille, Laycock and Ryder) AND the new improved Angus Monfries.

Then for the centres pick from JJ, Jobe Watson, Stanton, Hislop,Bolton,Winderlich, Dyson, Mark Johnson, McVeigh , Camporale, Dempsey , Lovett, Davey, Bradley, Houliand Peverill. WE ONLY NEED 5 FROM THIS GROUP TO STAND UP, THAT IS 5 FROM 16. We should not underrate the capabilty of JJ and Camporale to lead this group.

Lets all get on board !!!!!!!!!! """

IT IS REALLY INTERESTING BUT THE SONG REMAINS ALMOST THE SAME EXCEPT KNIGHTA FOR SHEEDS AND GOLDEN DRAFT PICKS FOR HIRDY

It seems that we cut out the "dead wood" from the team and retired who need to be retired. It seems the MIDFIELD is still the key to the Essendon nirvana. Let's hope the song changes by next year.

Happy New Year to all! :D
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

Happy New Year to you too, Dr S. Good to hear from you again.
Actually, I'm hoping the song does NOT remain the same at all, but rather we begin to climb our "stairway to heaven". 8)
On the Rookie List

Post by 84859300 »

*gets his lighter out and starts swaying it to the tunes*
First name: Mr
Second name: period
Last name: T
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Has had about as many posts over the years as LZ!!

But back to the point of the post. The mid-field did stand up last year (2007). I believe we were ranked top 4 in clearances which is largely driven by mid-fielders getting early possesion.

Big issues were Turnovers and Poor disposal once we got the ball and these skill errors will improve as the team matures. But as they say, possession is nine tenths of the law and we are well on our way in this regard.

The other majoe issue is our defence. I dont think we have a Top 3 defence. In fact I think its a bottom 3 defence.

Fletcher remains a great asset but an attacking defender - not a goal restricting defender. Michael had an average first year but even if he improves he remains a negating, one dimensional player.

The rest are average or unproven defenders. NLM is loose and has poor disposal, McVeigh is committed but I believe better suited to Mid-Field, Slattery is new and McPhee in no-mans land.

Ryder would be wasted at CHB and must surely play on the ball. He is the next Stephen Michael in my opinion (possibly the greatest player to not have played VFL/AFL)

So I think we need to get better disposal/decision making into the mid-field group supported by a more accountable defensive unit. That will win us the 2 additional games we need to make the Finals in 2008
Doctor Strangelove
Top Up Player

Post by Doctor Strangelove »

I agree with your comment re Macphee, he is going to the wing or forward line.

But why is everyone so hard on NML? When fit he is an outstanding rebound defender!

Sheedy played Ryder in defence as learning experience, sometimes at the cost to the team. He will be better for it.

I think Slatts will be a beauty and McVeigh had great year. We can find one more small defender I am sure!

I still argue the midfield and the related rotations which are the key!
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Doctor Strangelove wrote:I agree with your comment re Macphee, he is going to the wing or forward line.

But why is everyone so hard on NML? When fit he is an outstanding rebound defender!
Because he has poor skills and makes some terrible, terrible decisions.
Doctor Strangelove wrote: I still argue the midfield and the related rotations which are the key!
Precisely, but its also the lack of pace.
JJ, Pev, Stanton and Watson can not play in the same team at all. I would only have Stanton and Watson in the starting 18 and Pev on the bench. As much as I hate to say this, JJ is GONE. Should spend the entire year in the VFL.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Doctor Strangelove wrote:I agree with your comment re Macphee, he is going to the wing or forward line.

Sheedy played Ryder in defence as learning experience, sometimes at the cost to the team. He will be better for it.

I think Slatts will be a beauty and McVeigh had great year. We can find one more small defender I am sure!

I still argue the midfield and the related rotations which are the key!
I agree, NLM is one of the most underated players at our club. His pace off the half backline is a godsend. He hold down his defensive role well and can play tall and short. He is a genuinely tough competitor who never takes a backwards step. Even against Barry friggen Hall!