Pretty Good Effort, but........

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Pretty Good Effort, but........

Post by robbie67 »

....even the scum can win in this competition.

That being said, I like the game plan a lot, and some of our guys have seemed to develop. Houli, Dempsey, Dyson all looked like they have taken a step or two. Mal looks super fit, and that spells big trouble for other clubs. I loved the way we ran in waves, and hunted in packs. The pressure we put on when Brisbane had the football was first rate, and with Davey to return that may only intensify. Hocking, Reimers, and Jetta are all nice and hard at it as well. Even the rookies looked good tonight, that Atkinson kid is built like a brick shithouse, and Magin has a bit of poise, and some abilty as well.

The not so good? The on-going hamstring saga of Gumby. The look like Tarzan, play like Jane career of Johns. The in-ability of our ruckman to get first hands on it, even against relative kids.

All in all, pretty good though.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

At the end of the day Rob, we had a very young side out there and they played with a lot of poise and ferocity at the ball and ball carrier.

Yes, I know it's only the comedy cup but the effort tonight was very pleasing especially from a lot of the kids.

Great to see Dempsey get through the game although I got a bit sick of the commentators saying how courageous his marks were :roll:
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
sconsey
On the Rookie List

Post by sconsey »

A few things I noticed...

- I liked Hille and Laycock rotating through the forward line
- Dyson got plenty of the pill, disposal was messy in first half, but seemed to clean it up a bit.
- Monfries looked damn hungry!
- Hocking just ran and ran, looks the goods!
- Nash, man I love his skills. 28 possesions, nearly everyone of them damaging.
- Magin looks like an exciting type of player. Didn't do alot, but when he was around was exciting.
- Tackling was ferocious!!!
- Loved Dempsey running off the HBF. Very creative, and very speedy.

What I didn't like...

- Gumby's injury!
- Our body use was good in the ruck, but still couldn't get the ascendancy in the hit-outs to advantage!

But, it's only pre-season, lets hope we can continue to put it together. Go the Dons!!!
Sartorius
Club Captain

Post by Sartorius »

Considering we took basically our worst possible squad (ie. rested our best 10 players) there were some very good signs. But yes, the performance doesn't lead to us winning the flag.

The game plan worked, and some tactics worked very nicely, which will continue into the home and away season. Almost every player showed good signs and it looks like there will be a battle for places, which is what we need.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

I couldn't care what the game is practice match, nab game, regional or season game a win is a win and I will cheer just as hard as if it was a grand final I'm sticking to the positives it was a great win even though Brisbane were underdone and we didnt have everyone in either. Really good performance!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: Pretty Good Effort, but........

Post by BenDoolan »

robbie67 wrote:....even the scum can win in this competition.

That being said, I like the game plan a lot, and some of our guys have seemed to develop. Houli, Dempsey, Dyson all looked like they have taken a step or two. Mal looks super fit, and that spells big trouble for other clubs. I loved the way we ran in waves, and hunted in packs. The pressure we put on when Brisbane had the football was first rate, and with Davey to return that may only intensify. Hocking, Reimers, and Jetta are all nice and hard at it as well. Even the rookies looked good tonight, that Atkinson kid is built like a brick shithouse, and Magin has a bit of poise, and some abilty as well.

The not so good? The on-going hamstring saga of Gumby. The look like Tarzan, play like Jane career of Johns. The in-ability of our ruckman to get first hands on it, even against relative kids.

Where the hell did he come from? f*** he looked good. We've got some really good rookies around the place.
Essendunny
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

BenDoolan wrote:

Where the hell did he come from? f*** he looked good. We've got some really good rookies around the place.
It's possible we picked him up from the Ben Doolan training school of excellence. Got him early before Ben's assistant, Grant Thomas got to him. :P
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

robbie67 wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:

It's possible we picked him up from the Ben Doolan training school of excellence. Got him early before Ben's assistant, Grant Thomas got to him. :P
Then he's gonna be a gun! :lol:
Essendunny
CameronClayton
High Draft Pick

Post by CameronClayton »

Reimers, I like his style; guaranteed to get up the noses of opposition supporters.

Houli, Nash & Hocking, hard working midfielders that are all gonna be 150 gamers (Hocking maybe 100+).

We harass, tackle the into the turf, stand the mark & creep a few yards to slow play down, & we run like there is no more tomorrow.

No more 'coralling bullshit'.

Defensive pressure all over the ground is better than I have seen it for years.

Magin is that smart arse rover type we haven't had since Sean Denham, but reminds me of Ezard.

Myers & Pears can both play.

The future is looking bright
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

BenDoolan wrote:

I think he came off Bendigo's list last year. Knights obviously thinks he has something to offer.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
sconsey
On the Rookie List

Post by sconsey »

At least with Gumbleton's Hamstring, it was done early in the year. we have a month till season proper, So at worst he may only miss the first couple of rounds. Atkinson looked good as well. Seen as he is about to turn 23, should be ready to fire on all cylinders this year.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

I agree with pretty well everything said so far. Hard to judge our overall improvement, given the weakness of the opposition, but certainly some good signs.

Magin looked classy - a bit Mercuri like, dare I say? Where did we get him from?

Atkinson - get this boy (actually man - I think he's 23 or something) off the rookie list and on to the main list!

Reimers - I can see why he and Scotty tangled. He has a bit of mongrel in him. Good - we need some of that. :evil:

Dempsey - the running rebounding half back role seemed to suit him nicely.

Nash - great skills. I liked having him as the designated kick in after a point.

I guess most of us were watching the kids to see how they went and the new game plan and liked what we saw.

I also watched some of the "old" players. I thought JJ looked as fit and hungry as ever - maybe still a place for him? Pev did okay too. I thought NLM, playing up forward later in the game, looked like he wanted to play.

A few negatives - Gumby's injuries, CJ promises everything in the first few minutes of the game and then fades, McPhee as a forward didn't seem to fire.

Now bring on the REAL season. I can't wait!
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Absolutely filthy on Gumby getting hurt. Doubt we will see him before the mid point of the season.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
juff
Top Up Player

Post by juff »

Filthy wrote:Tackling...tick.

Pressure and chasing...tick.

Manning up...tick.

Defensive pressure...tick.

No coast to coast goals....tick.

Pace....tick.

Better skills....tick

Play on and move the ball quickly at all costs....tick

Fitness....tick

Gumbleton :( :( :(
and following the above you would have to say:

Knighta....tick

Gumby's injury is down to the footy gods
keri
Regular Senior Player

Post by keri »

Filthy wrote:Tackling...tick.

Pressure and chasing...tick.

Manning up...tick.

Defensive pressure...tick.

No coast to coast goals....tick.

Pace....tick.

Better skills....tick

Play on and move the ball quickly at all costs....tick

Fitness....tick

Gumbleton :( :( :(
that's pretty much my opinion on last night. It was great to see that hunger.
"Let's face it. If I didn't exist, you'd pay someone to invent me"
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

If KNIGHTS can keep this up,well done to him.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

I really didnt know what to expect last night when i saw the squad of players we sent up there but i must say after that exciting performance things are def looking up. i know its just the NAB cup but the young guys were terrific.

Magin and Atkinson are very exciting rookies and no doubt we will see them at senior level at some stage this season. The overall attack on the ball from players like JJ, Gussy, Reimers, Hocking and co was sensational as was the pressure in both the forward line and defence.

i know Johns got a lil injured and wasnt on the field in the second half but it was still a lil disappointing. He started like a house on fire then faded. Tonight was the night against a relatively inexperienced Brissy backline to fire and he just didnt deliver.

I liked Hille and Laycock rotating and moving forward, Hille in particular proved too much for the Brissy backs. I would have liked them to win a few more hitouts but our guys ended up winning the majority of clearances.

Im a little excited to read that 5-9 of our senior boys will be back next week so the overall depth of the club looks to be in pretty good shape.

too bad about Gumby though, you gotta feel for the kid. :(
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

billyduckworth wrote:I agree with pretty well everything said so far. Hard to judge our overall improvement, given the weakness of the opposition, but certainly some good signs.

Magin looked classy - a bit Mercuri like, dare I say? Where did we get him from?

Atkinson - get this boy (actually man - I think he's 23 or something) off the rookie list and on to the main list!

Reimers - I can see why he and Scotty tangled. He has a bit of mongrel in him. Good - we need some of that. :evil:

Dempsey - the running rebounding half back role seemed to suit him nicely.

Nash - great skills. I liked having him as the designated kick in after a point.

I guess most of us were watching the kids to see how they went and the new game plan and liked what we saw.

I also watched some of the "old" players. I thought JJ looked as fit and hungry as ever - maybe still a place for him? Pev did okay too. I thought NLM, playing up forward later in the game, looked like he wanted to play.

A few negatives - Gumby's injuries, CJ promises everything in the first few minutes of the game and then fades, McPhee as a forward didn't seem to fire.
Now bring on the REAL season. I can't wait!
Very true, maybe it would be better for him to play on a wing where he will be much stronger that most players in the position

We will have a stacked forward line this year with all the options we have. Lloyd, Lucas, Davey and Lovett still to come back with the latter two having stints in the midfield and the two rotating ruckman down there.
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

Monfries might look hungry but Calthorpe didn't, jesus. If I was Monfries I'd watch myself, as would any other player with a food as part of his name.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
Sartorius
Club Captain

Post by Sartorius »

Mcphee hardly played from half time due to Hamstring tightness. Don't know when that happened though. I forgot he was meant to be out there for a while.