Some observations...

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
gringo
Club Captain

Some observations...

Post by gringo »

1. Houli: love the way he cuts inside and goes up the middle. He really straightened us up today. Great poise under pressure and consistent disposer of the ball.

2. Stanton: got the ball in dangerous spots today and chased a little harder (operating at about 30% in this department). I felt he was more effective today than some other games where he has had 30 touches.

3. Jetta and Davey: both have fantastic work ethic and put opponents under enormous pressure, whether up forwards or down back. Lovett is quickly falling behind these two.

4. Rucks: both Laycock and Hille rucked well today and were effective forwards. Could potentially become a very damaging combination for EFC this year. THey will be required to rest up forwards without exception now that Lucas has been injured and CJ, Gumbleton and Neagle are injured/not up to it yet.

5. Dyson: Did a couple of nice things today, but needs to show more. A big opportunity next week to prove he is the real deal. Otherwise, I'd prefer Pev in the team to tag one of Geelong's elite midfielders.

6. Lloyd: Moved as well as he has for years. Great kicking at goal (although field kicking was poor) and took some excellent grabs. Showed some real toughness too, although this is what we have come to expect from the Velvet Sledgehammer.

7. Longergan: (think that's his name?): How smooth was this bloke? Amazing poise under pressure. What a great find.

8. McPhee: Less brain fades than usual, but still LOVESSSSSSSSSSSS to do something moronic if he thinks he can get away with it. Needs to be more decisive on the lead - at times as he was caught running around in circles at times, which is fine if you are a dog, but he's not so he should desist.

All in all, a very enjoyable day at the Dome. I eagerly await our date with the Cats.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Re: Some observations...

Post by robrulz5 »

Was very happy with Lloyd's marking. He was beating 2 or 3 North players at a time in contests.

Houli was brilliant, not overly quick but seems to dodge players at will.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Very good assessment gringo.
Essendunny
CameronClayton
High Draft Pick

Post by CameronClayton »

gringo wrote:1. Houli: love the way he cuts inside and goes up the middle. He really straightened us up today. Great poise under pressure and consistent disposer of the ball.

2. Stanton: got the ball in dangerous spots today and chased a little harder (operating at about 30% in this department). I felt he was more effective today than some other games where he has had 30 touches.

3. Jetta and Davey: both have fantastic work ethic and put opponents under enormous pressure, whether up forwards or down back. Lovett is quickly falling behind these two.

4. Rucks: both Laycock and Hille rucked well today and were effective forwards. Could potentially become a very damaging combination for EFC this year. THey will be required to rest up forwards without exception now that Lucas has been injured and CJ, Gumbleton and Neagle are injured/not up to it yet.

5. Dyson: Did a couple of nice things today, but needs to show more. A big opportunity next week to prove he is the real deal. Otherwise, I'd prefer Pev in the team to tag one of Geelong's elite midfielders.

6. Lloyd: Moved as well as he has for years. Great kicking at goal (although field kicking was poor) and took some excellent grabs. Showed some real toughness too, although this is what we have come to expect from the Velvet Sledgehammer.

7. Longergan: (think that's his name?): How smooth was this bloke? Amazing poise under pressure. What a great find.

8. McPhee: Less brain fades than usual, but still LOVESSSSSSSSSSSS to do something moronic if he thinks he can get away with it. Needs to be more decisive on the lead - at times as he was caught running around in circles at times, which is fine if you are a dog, but he's not so he should desist.

All in all, a very enjoyable day at the Dome. I eagerly await our date with the Cats.
This is something I'd didn't notice from watching it on the telly, but it is good to see. I watched blokes like Slatts & Lonergan very closely though, as often the hard working, lower skilled blokes don't get any of the glory, but both those blokes worked hard putting pressure on the Roos & they both had brilliant games - if you aren't sure, what a replay of all the off the ball stuff they did.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Stants was tagged heavily by one of the best taggers (and biggest dogs) in the game, so I thought he did ok. Courage isnt his strong point but did good things with the ball, and layed some shepeards when required. Had an interrupted pre-season so will need some time to get fully into it.

Disappointed a bit with Dyson. I am a fan but didnt think he did enough today, needs to lift on Sunday against the cats.

Hille played very very well. He is getting angry and when someone who is 6'6" and weighs 110kg gets angry, its a good sign. Also good that he beat his opponents today in the center and smashed them around the ground, he has had his troubles in the past against Hale and McIntosh.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

For a second gamer I thought Lonergan was exceptional. A great spin and evade in the middle of the ground during one passage of play was the difference between losing possesion/momentum and building on what we had. The poise and awareness was fantastic. Took possesion, looked up about to be tackled, spun out of trouble and delivered inside 50. Was great to see. Earlier in the game NLM had a similar sort of situation but got an attack of clumsiness and we lost the ball and they kicked a goal.

Stanton struggled to get into the game being tagged, but shook in the 2nd onwards enough to be a solid contributor. Dyson went missing to an extent, which was disappointing.

McVeigh is stepping up as one of the premier players in the league, which is also great to see. He's had so much potential for so long now, it's good to see it coming to the forefront.

NLM and McPhee on the forward line are good moves. McPhee's brain lets him down in the backline and too often costs us on the scoreboard. Up forward he provides a strong contest (something we'll need without Lucas there) and can't do as much immediate damage with brain fades (which hopefully he'll be eradicating from his game).

Dempsey was very good today, I thought. Bobbed up all over the ground, took quite a few strong marks at critical moments and managed to get a fist on some important balls in defence at times. Hit targets well, great pass to spot up JJ running forward for that goal to go ahead in the 2nd. Ran hard. Thought he was very good.

Lloyd seems to have finally overcome his apparent mental issue with his goal kicking and that hamstring. Long goals today were sensational and "gun-barrell-straight", thanks Dennis. Will be interesting to see how he goes against a good defensive unit without Lucas there to work in tandem with. Here's hoping the man is back.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

Yep - agree wtih everything there Boyleroom, particularly about McPhee's brain fades having less direct impact up forwards.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Bullshit on the rucks. Won less taps than the North guys and were tapping at a far lower advantage percentage. 8% of Hille's were to advantage! Far too many of his hitouts just dribble along the ground. But he was good around the ground and up forward.

McPhee was aggressive but not stupidly so, as has been in the case previously. Worked really well.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Gossy7
Club Captain

Post by Gossy7 »

Good post Gringo.

I might just add an observation of my own.

Nathan Lovett Murray- He slipped under the radar and kicked 4 goals, and he is one of our most valuable players in my opinion. He is great overhead and can play either ends of the ground. Hes reasonably quick, although the odd thing he has a brain malfunction like he did when he played on and the bloke smothered it and i think they might have got a goal out of it. Anyway, to kick 4 goals in a game is a magnificent effort, especially when he wasnt a pernament forward.