Player Review # 6: Angus Monfries

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Player Review # 6: Angus Monfries

Post by bombercol »

I love this kid.

Courage, endeavour, effort you can never question.

Made a few blues but who didn't this year?

Off memory over twenty goals for the year. (I'll stand corrected).

Fully deserved his awards on B&F night.

One of our positives for the year.

7/10
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

5.5/10 I was actually disappointed with him. But I'll openly admitt my expectations were probably to high.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Monfries is still an adolescent in a man's game, but quickly showing he isn't perturbed by bigger and faster.
He's courageous and sometimes spectacular, but needs to concentrate on the team things a little more.

I'd like to see him front and centre of the hf line packs for 3/4's of every game, with a 1/4 in the middle periodically.

Another development year, still needs more muscle, but it's a steady development nonetheless.

6/10
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

will be very good just needs a little bit of time to get settled into knowing what he has to do
jjono
High Draft Pick

Post by jjono »

Big, bold, brass set of knackers on this young bloke! Love the way he attacks the pill and puts his body on the line when needed. Needs a bit more consistency in his disposal and decision making, but overall a clear positive in our shithouse season.

7/10
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

6.5/10

Solid year, without being spectacular. Only 2 years in the system, so expect improved consistency next year. Could start to move towards the middle of the ground, with his body slowly filling out.

When he gets the ball, normally something positive will happen, which is a good sign!
lozza89
Regular Senior Player

Post by lozza89 »

Yeah i think every one had high expectations on gus this year, but i think he will begin to play at those expectations in the year to come.
Did some great things this year, and his courage for the ball cannot be questioned. If the bal if there to be won, he will go and get it, no matter who his opponent is.
Needs to bulk up a bit, but pretty happy with his year.
7/10
azza78
High Draft Pick
Location: Cairns, FNQ. Home of the mighty Cairns Draught, may it RIP

Post by azza78 »

Solid year for a kid still in his football infancy. Showed some verstality with his ability to play forward and kick goals, but his future is in the midfield.

Totally fearless on the football field. Throws his body into dangerous situations with scant regard for safety, and several teammates would do well to emulate his attack on the pill.

No question he is a star of the future. Has good skills and is a very smart player, and as his body matures and he gets stronger and bigger he will become a tremendously important player for this club.

6.5/10
sash
On the Rookie List

Post by sash »

Monfries would have to be one of my favourites in my team. Courage, desire, still has improvement in him. Just needs to find the ball mroe and keep his hunger and attack on the ball. Not overally quick but still has got good skills and could become a important part of the team.

7/10
2QIK4U
On the Rookie List

Post by 2QIK4U »

I agree that he had a good season. However, where do we play him the most? Upforward or rotate through the midfield? Personally, I think he is most dangerous upforward - not sure if he is fast enough for the midfield.

6/10
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

Definitely one of the (few) positives for this year.

I think F111 is right - he should play mostly up forward with just the occasional stint in the midfield. I don't see him as a genuine midfielder - a little too tall, for a start.

Also, I'm not sure that I agree with those of you asking him to "bulk up". Yes, his body is still adolescent, but "bulking up" sometimes backfires and slows a player down too much. Maybe just allow his body to develop naturally.

Anyway, a bright future ahead for this young lad with lots of g & d.

7/10
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

class act, desperate for the footy, will get better with bigger body

6/10
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Will be a very important player in years to come.

I'll give him a 6/10.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

billyduckworth wrote:I think F111 is right - he should play mostly up forward with just the occasional stint in the midfield. I don't see him as a genuine midfielder - a little too tall, for a start.
Are we talking about the same dude? He is 182cm, 7cm shorter than Judd, the best midfielder in the AFL.
billyduckworth wrote:Also, I'm not sure that I agree with those of you asking him to "bulk up". Yes, his body is still adolescent, but "bulking up" sometimes backfires and slows a player down too much. Maybe just allow his body to develop naturally.
Agree. He can't aford to be slowed down.

I think he should play forward. He showed he has a knack for crumbing and when Lovett pushes further up the ground, still having a crumber in the forward 50 is vital. Plus there are plenty of young midfielders coming through.
bueller
High Draft Pick

Post by bueller »

Sorry if i'm a bit late posting on this one but i want to give my congrats to Monfries for his excellent season.

He generally looked sharp, and always put his body on the line.

I think he has the makings of a future captain, although i don't know his character but he could be a superstar on field.

6.5/10
antcl
Top Up Player

Post by antcl »

Reminds me of Mercuri in the way he moves. So no, he shouldn't bulk up too much, but instead get run into his legs.

Bit of an issue over kicking for goal, but has a lot of class. Some absolute brilliant games, and some quiet ones. Not sure just how good this kid could be, he shows signs but has some issues (eg. size).

Love to see him play, but needs to get more of the ball.

6.5/10