The Loss We Had To Have

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

The Loss We Had To Have

Post by BenDoolan »

Eveything had been going too well for everyone. Matthew Knights had enjoyed a great period of positive performances throughout the NAB Cup and a great first up win on his AFL premiership season debut against the Roos. The club had also enjoyed fantastic articles just about every week since Knighta's appointment.

Now the club has received a massive reality check on how far we are actually from being a top team. We just played our 2000/2001 equivalent yesterday, and that is the gap between the 2 teams. Now it's a matter of how Matthew Knights reacts and how playing group gains strength from the loss rather than let it erode confidence. Learn your lessons, re-focus, and give Carlton a lesson of their own next week.

Looking forward to the response.
Essendunny
bpdons
High Draft Pick

Re: The Loss We Had To Have

Post by bpdons »

Completely agree
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

Massive wake-up call. Need to step up against Carlscum this week. If we lose to them, I think I'll kill myself.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
citizenerased
On the Rookie List

Post by citizenerased »

i wouldnt say it was one we needed to have. a little early for that, but i think it was an unavoidable one and we should forget it and move on.
geelong are too good and this team is too early in its re-structuring process to worry too much about wins and losses.
The Super Nintendo formerly known as Chalmers
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

citizenerased wrote:i wouldnt say it was one we needed to have. a little early for that, but i think it was an unavoidable one and we should forget it and move on.
geelong are too good and this team is too early in its re-structuring process to worry too much about wins and losses.
I think it is. Too much good press over the past 6 months. Need to knuckle down and work harder on the deficiencies. The good thing is that these guys are still learning, developing and will get better. I certainly don't think this loss is all that bad. It will depend how they respond to it though. If they have any character or belief in themselves, they will get straight back on their bike and move on. Next week is more about a test of character rather than a test of skill IMO.
Essendunny
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Ossie wrote:Massive wake-up call. Need to step up against Carlscum this week. If we lose to them, I think I'll kill myself.
Im completely with you on that. Carlton has been a bit of a bogey side of ours even as they have been near the bottom of the ladder so hopefully the boys take a lot from yesterdays hiding and find ways of turing that into a nice big win against the blues on sat night.

I doubt we will be the only team to get belted by the cats this season, as they said on the radio yesterday, better to be thumped by Geelong than lose by 100 points to a team not considered top 4 material.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Ossie wrote:Massive wake-up call. Need to step up against Carlscum this week. If we lose to them, I think I'll kill myself.
Ill be seeing you on the Westgate as well if that happens.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Im actually not sure what i'll do if we lose to Carlton.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Trying not to think about it. Still in shock after yesterday's drubbing. Expected the loss. Heck, I even thought that we might lose by 6 -8 goals... but 100 points? Totally shut us down. Of course, everything went their way. We've had those days too... although they were 7 or 8 years ago now.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
Rotorog
Top Up Player

Post by Rotorog »

BenDoolan wrote:Eveything had been going too well for everyone. Matthew Knights had enjoyed a great period of positive performances throughout the NAB Cup and a great first up win on his AFL premiership season debut against the Roos. The club had also enjoyed fantastic articles just about every week since Knighta's appointment.

Now the club has received a massive reality check on how far we are actually from being a top team. We just played our 2000/2001 equivalent yesterday, and that is the gap between the 2 teams. Now it's a matter of how Matthew Knights reacts and how playing group gains strength from the loss rather than let it erode confidence. Learn your lessons, re-focus, and give Carlton a lesson of their own next week.

Looking forward to the response.
Am with you on this one BD. All the doom sayers will be writing us off after this one. F@#$k em. Every team has had it's up and downs. Geelong will have theirs coming to them post 2007/08 just as we had ours post 2000.
The Oracle has spoken.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

The young players now know a number of things: How hard they need to work on the field, how strong they need to be and how skilful they need to be, etc.

Looking forward to this week to see how the team responds.
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

I'm quite nervous about this weekend.

Another 6 day break - has anyone else noticed that we have 3 in a row to commence the season with.

They traditionally grow a leg against us and we traditionally act like spectators against them.

They beat us once last year after we headed them by 8 or 9 goals - but then let them get 3 quick ones in time-on in the second quarter, to go into the long break with confidence and a somewhat less daunting task ahead of them.

In the repeat performance they were playing us on a break until it was time to Tank and then we fell over the line in quite unconvincing fashion.

This is a must win for both teams. As important to us as the North game was - even more important to the Scum and their wing-nutted Hobbit coach.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.