Essendon v St.Kilda Pre Match Discussion

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Essendon v St.Kilda Pre Match Discussion

Post by BenDoolan »

Suffer JP, beat ya this time! :P

Well, we are look down the proverbial barrel this week. A team without Lucas, Lloyd (perhaps), and McVeigh - a hell of a lot of class and experience just not there. And I saw Dustin Fletcher awkwardly limping at the Windy Hill fitness centre this morning at my daughter's swimming lesson. Add David Hille to the equation, who is obviously struggling with a shoulder complaint, and we've lost a fair chunk of clout in our team.

Back's to the wall stuff next week....
Essendunny
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Re: Essendon v St.Kilda Pre Match Discussion

Post by Doctor Fish »

Hopefully the Saints might lose a couple to injury as well... Otherwise, we're going to get a caning.

[-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

It will certainly be a battle especially if we dont have Lloydy back this week. I have heard that in todays game Riewoldt is struggling, whats the chance that he turns it on against us next week.... hopefully Ryder can completely shut him down. I didint think our forward line was that bad last night but with players like Hudghton and Fisher in defence for the Saints our work will certainly be cut out for us.

Welshy and Monfries should return for us you would think.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:It will certainly be a battle especially if we dont have Lloydy back this week. I have heard that in todays game Riewoldt is struggling, whats the chance that he turns it on against us next week.... hopefully Ryder can completely shut him down. I didint think our forward line was that bad last night but with players like Hudghton and Fisher in defence for the Saints our work will certainly be cut out for us.

Welshy and Monfries should return for us you would think.
Riewoldt had nearly 20 possessions and took 13-14 marks so he wasn't struggling (except kicking for goal again :lol: )

Trying to stop him, Kositchke and Gehrig will stretch us and our ruckment will need to play very well. King was exceellent for the Saints today and looks to be in good touch.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Royza
Club Captain

Post by Royza »

Went to the game. Saints were crap. Reiwoldt played a good game minus kicking for goal. The rest of their team was shite. Cats didn't play that well, but turned it on when they needed to. I think we're a good chance, just need to be accurate in front of goals. We will definitely be too quick for them.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

BenDoolan wrote:Suffer JP, beat ya this time! :P
:twisted: OH ITS ON :evil: :P :P
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Looking forward to the challenge. Their tall forward will cause us all sorts of problems but we did beat them last year and all of Gehrig, Reiwoldt and Kosi were playing.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

We desperately need Lloyd to play, 'cause he's a big chance to kick a bag if he does. Everything Hudghton has done so far this year suggests he's played on one year too many, and none of his potential replacements like Sam Fisher or Matt Maguire are true negating defenders.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Bendigo Bombers lost by 20 points today, but these guys were listed in the best players: C. Johns, D. Chartres, J. Johnson, D. Daniher, D. Myers . Andrew Welsh played 3 quarters. Hopefully Lloyd and Monfries are ready next week, and Welsh will definitely come in and possibly JJ.
Essendunny
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

jimmyc1985 wrote:We desperately need Lloyd to play, 'cause he's a big chance to kick a bag if he does. Everything Hudghton has done so far this year suggests he's played on one year too many, and none of his potential replacements like Sam Fisher or Matt Maguire are true negating defenders.
Agree with comments on Hudghton. He is still playing a defensive role from several years ago and gives away frees and turns the pill over. We can really exploit this if we can get it into the forward line oftern enough, which brings as squarely back to the centre breaks.

I looked closely at the centre line ups for the past two occasions and too ofter saw both Jobe and Pev in there as if nothing had changed. By that I mean no blistering break away pace. Jobe really struggled against the Dogs and I realise Pev usually has a tagging roile and has to follow his mark but too many times we see our ruckman winning the tap only to see us fumble the ball or the opposition shark it. I really want to see more of Davey and Lovett in at the centre ball ups. I know they are light, but by Christ, they are quick and less likely to fumble chances.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Filthy wrote:
robrulz5 wrote:Looking forward to the challenge. Their tall forward will cause us all sorts of problems but we did beat them last year and all of Gehrig, Reiwoldt and Kosi were playing.
Suspended :wink:
Awesome. :lol:
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

We're the AWAY TEAM and WE WILL STILL wear -

BLACK GUERNSEY WITH RED SASH!

Don't be WEAK ON THIS Ray!
nathanskinner
Top Up Player

Post by nathanskinner »

Anyone heard news on Lloyd?

Monfries should definately be in, was an illness i heard. If no Lloyd then Johns has to come in, dont see any sense in playing Laycock one out in the 50 like last Fri.. his too slow, and when the ball hits the deck the turnovers cost us. Ive been reasonably happy with CJs forward line pressure in the past.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

nathanskinner wrote:Anyone heard news on Lloyd?
Apparently the scans showed he had a build-up of fluid in the calf and is a chance to play on Friday night. My guess is he probably won't, based on the fact that Knights seems to hate playing players who aren't 100%, unlike his predecessor who regularly fielded underdone players.
Fraz
Top Up Player

Post by Fraz »

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=446690
Bombers optimistic over Lloyd return
"Essendon are optimistic captain Matthew Lloyd will play St Kilda at Telstra Dome in Friday night's round five AFL game after he was cleared of any major damage in his right calf muscle.

The Bombers full-forward sat out his side's loss to the Western Bulldogs last Friday night because of the injury.

But scans revealed Lloyd has a build-up of fluid in the calf, which caused the soreness.

The Bombers might yet regain their spearhead for the match against the Saints, depending on how he trains this week.

"The results of the scans are very good news, there is no tear and Matthew is a possibility to return to the side on Friday night," team manager David Calthorpe said.

"Matthew's calf improved significantly over the weekend and the results of today's scans make us more optimistic that he will play, which would be great news for the club and our fans.

"While he is very important to our side we won't be taking any risks with him.

"We need to wait and see how he pulls up after training during the week but, for now, the signs are good."

Lloyd's return would provide a much-needed target in Essendon's forward line, as centre half-forward Scott Lucas is still sidelined by a knee injury.

The Bombers have one of the longest injury lists in the competition, which also includes midfielder Mark McVeigh, whose great start to the season was derailed by a hamstring injury suffered against the Bulldogs.

McVeigh could miss up to four games and Essendon coach Matthew Knights admits Essendon might have to investigate why the club has suffered so many hamstring injuries in recent times."
Good news.
sconsey
On the Rookie List

Post by sconsey »

Fraz wrote:
http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=446690
Bombers optimistic over Lloyd return
"Essendon are optimistic captain Matthew Lloyd will play St Kilda at Telstra Dome in Friday night's round five AFL game after he was cleared of any major damage in his right calf muscle.

The Bombers full-forward sat out his side's loss to the Western Bulldogs last Friday night because of the injury.

But scans revealed Lloyd has a build-up of fluid in the calf, which caused the soreness.

The Bombers might yet regain their spearhead for the match against the Saints, depending on how he trains this week.

"The results of the scans are very good news, there is no tear and Matthew is a possibility to return to the side on Friday night," team manager David Calthorpe said.

"Matthew's calf improved significantly over the weekend and the results of today's scans make us more optimistic that he will play, which would be great news for the club and our fans.

"While he is very important to our side we won't be taking any risks with him.

"We need to wait and see how he pulls up after training during the week but, for now, the signs are good."

Lloyd's return would provide a much-needed target in Essendon's forward line, as centre half-forward Scott Lucas is still sidelined by a knee injury.

The Bombers have one of the longest injury lists in the competition, which also includes midfielder Mark McVeigh, whose great start to the season was derailed by a hamstring injury suffered against the Bulldogs.

McVeigh could miss up to four games and Essendon coach Matthew Knights admits Essendon might have to investigate why the club has suffered so many hamstring injuries in recent times."
Good news.

Extremely good news!