If the skip was injured.

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

If the skip was injured.

Post by robbie67 »

He shouldnt have f***'n played. Sh*thouse performance.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Re: If the skip was injured.

Post by bomberdonnie »

Worst game I have ever seen him play

Made the mediocrity of Hudghton look like a champion...

Enough said
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

Lloyd was drowned by the flood. (Bloody ex Sydney Swans assistant coaches)

The amount of times you saw no one in the St Kilda forward half of the ground when we were going forward....Lloyd wasn't great, he had a few nice efforts but basically we had no space in our forward line, especially in the first half.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

bombercol wrote:Lloyd was drowned by the flood. (Bloody ex Sydney Swans assistant coaches)

The amount of times you saw no one in the St Kilda forward half of the ground when we were going forward....Lloyd wasn't great, he had a few nice efforts but basically we had no space in our forward line, especially in the first half.

Youre being too kind Col. Lloyd is a good enough player to make things happen. He just didnt. The writing was on the wall when he went the dive in the 1st quarter, and then threw the silly girly punch at Hudghton at 1/4 time. Terrible leadership.
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

I think Lloyd's game, especially early, pretty much summed up how we responded to the way St. Kilda came out to play against us and shut down our run. It pretty much took us to the third quarter to figure out what to do.

I reckon an 80% fit Lloyd is still worth a gamble given the calibre of the player. Even if he's crap he'll still demand their best back man. Hudghton is an honest player at best and his mates up the ground certainly helped his cause against Lloyd. McPhee being down for most of the game didn't help Lloyd's cause at all either.

In Lloyd's defence, he was prepared to lay a tackle and still make a contest and I don't think he gave up, even the best of players have a rotten night every now and again and I've never question his leadership. Even McPhee who wasn't great,still kept at it and tried to present and make something happen. Lucas not being there is hurting us a lot.

Talking about leadership, I might be jumping the gun, but little Houli did not stop having a crack all night. Let's hope his development continues because he has future leader potential.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Absolutely.

I could handle him having a bad game, but his complete lack of anything resembling on field leadership really means his captaincy should come under very close review.

There was his dive early in the game, his pathetic "nothing" hit on Hudgton, and then in the last quarter when he finally had the chance to kick a "captain's goal" in the last quarter when we still had the chance to win, he misses!!

Think he is a good off field captain, but his lack of on field leadership, simply means that we cannot continue to allow him to have the leadership. Got to give it to McVeigh as soon as he's back and then start grooming the next generation under him.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Hard to believe he was our weakest link out there tonight.
Essendunny
merc_2
Regular Senior Player

Post by merc_2 »

I never thought I would say this, but I wanted him dragged tonight. He was one major liability. Our forward line functioned better last week without him.
ace076
Regular Senior Player

Post by ace076 »

embarassing captain's game yet again. There has simply been too many of these such games since he has been ccccccccccccc aptain!!! I cannot even bring myself to call him that! Get Spike in NOW!!!
GLORY GLORY MAN UNITED

Founding Captain of the Bombertalk Blacks.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Must've been injured - he was absolute poo this evening. And i spent all week thinking that, if he played, he had a chance to kick a bag against a past-it Hudghton. Jesus.
bpdons
High Draft Pick

Post by bpdons »

He was fricken useless tonight and he has been for a long while.
Stop blaming others Matthew, start being creative again, he's not even 1 dimensionable - beaten by a bloody pensioner tonight, he's nothing anymore. reduced to nothing. Highest paid player on our list - DO SOMETHING! We follow you from end to end each week and you continually give us nothing. Even when you're having a craphouse game, we still cheer you on, please...do something please
bpdons
High Draft Pick

Post by bpdons »

Sadly enough i watch Lloydy more than any other player - due to the amount of love i have for him. I really do believe that on his day he is bloody almighty. Complete match-winner (like those 2 goals in 2 minutes against Carlton in 99 when we needed them most).
But i would have to say since that stupid finger injury he's just not had the dominance on his opponents. With such a quick midfield - now more than ever he should be 2-3m infront of his opponent on the lead.
Tonight against the saints in particular (no one was dropped back to fill the gap - they played him 1-on 1). Why is he constantly made to take pack marks? He;s not leading. More times than i could count (possibly 5) he started leading then stopped. We kick the ball to where he's stopped. Opposition punch, ball cleared. Keep running, i'm sick of him starting a lead and then not continuing. Obviously he is great enough to know what he's doing, or has others giving him advice on how to play the game to the ultimate level, but c'mon you are making your opponents look like they are A-grade defenders which they are not always. It;s all becoming too much at times.
On the Rookie List

Post by 84859300 »

bpdons wrote:Why is he constantly made to take pack marks?
Good full forwards are called on to do that all the time........
First name: Mr
Second name: period
Last name: T
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Filthy wrote:Easy to beat with no protection from Maggots and being triple teamed a la crap Sydney style and Laycock having a cuppa watching on instead of using his body to help out. Scotty missing is a huge reason for his patchy form.

Oh and a midfield sitting in the stands doesn't help and the service from those there....atrocious.

http://bombertalk4.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5264
I think it's all too easy to blame delivery and umpires on last night's performance. The team kicked 14.3 (great accuracy) and Lloyd contributed 0.1 and only took 1 mark. Again he went to ground far too easily in a contest. I know it's a habit of his, but when he doesn't grab it, the defenders run away with ridiculous ease.
Essendunny
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

The delivery was pathetic all night - but he was still fairly ordinary.

I think enough people know my thoughts on the Mcveigh v Lloyd captaincy issue so no need to drag that up again!

Boy we did miss Spike out there tonight.
srams
Top Up Player

Post by srams »

BenDoolan wrote:
Filthy wrote:Easy to beat with no protection from Maggots and being triple teamed a la crap Sydney style and Laycock having a cuppa watching on instead of using his body to help out. Scotty missing is a huge reason for his patchy form.

Oh and a midfield sitting in the stands doesn't help and the service from those there....atrocious.

http://bombertalk4.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5264
I think it's all too easy to blame delivery and umpires on last night's performance. The team kicked 14.3 (great accuracy) and Lloyd contributed 0.1 and only took 1 mark. Again he went to ground far too easily in a contest. I know it's a habit of his, but when he doesn't grab it, the defenders run away with ridiculous ease.
His performance last night was poor. No doubt about it. But he wasn't on his Pat Malone. We had 39 inside fifty's for the match. Our forwards were having a bad night and it doesn't help to turn it around if your getting few opprotunities.

I think having a full forward as captain works when you have other leaders in the midfield taking control such as Hirdy last year and Spike until the injury this year. To me the question is where are our other onfield leaders and will they stand up?

Hille was good last night and has shown he can do it, Stanton seems a likely choice on his stats alone but watching from a distance he seems a quiet type of bloke, Dyson/Houli/Jetta/Davey and Lovett are trying to establish themselves as senior players, Watson can probably do more in that area and Monfries sems to have the hardness to put his body on the line but really needs to rediscover some form.
Mick
On the Rookie List

Post by Mick »

In the first half I reckon I could have beaten him the way the ball was being delivered, ie, high above his head so that he had to prop and stop. Perfect for a backmen to come over the top and punch the ball away. the second half was another story all together. Tried to take chest marks on the lead instead of hands out in front. Result. Punched away by Hudghton. Then can't kick a goal from 30 metres out direct in front.
Not sure whether a lack of a pre-season is having an effect but his problems need to be sorted out quickly.
Duff Beer Krusty Burger Buzz Cola Costington's Department Store Kwik-E-Mart Stupid Flanders Park - Home of the Springfield Isotopes
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

Definitely the worst game I have ever seen Lloyd play.
Lazycock was a complete embarrassment.
Watson kept handballing to someone in a worse position than himself.
Slattery giving away stupid free kicks.
Even the normally reliable Nashy made a couple of clangers.

In fact, I suppose you could look at it this way...
considering how poorly we played, it's a miracle we were only beaten by 5 goals (not 20, like against Geelong).
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

I watched Lloyd closely on Friday night. I lost count the amount of times he made a lead and had his opponent beaten, had to double back and lead again. Why can't the midfield just kick the ball instead of too many handballs that gave St.Kilda the time to flood back? There is no doubt Lloyd misses Lucas out there. Lucas would take a mark , turn around and kick the ball long to Lloyd in the goalsquare where he would have his opponent 1 on 1 instead of competing against 3.

He is in bad form but should not have all the blame.