Captaincy poll

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.

Who would you prefer as captain?

Lloyd
19%
McVeigh
81%

Total votes: 36

andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Captaincy poll

Post by andrewb »

The comparison was inevitable after Mcveigh's performance last week...
stryper
High Draft Pick

Re: Captaincy poll

Post by stryper »

Sorry to say Mcveigh should be Captain...
Lloydy I don't believe has that ability...
That is Not to say that he isn't valuable still...
KaaN10
Regular Senior Player

Post by KaaN10 »

McVeigh.
dheal
Top Up Player

Post by dheal »

McVeigh Captain & Hille V/C
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

I've already made it clear that Macca should be the next captain. I believe they should really consider a leadership change for next year.
Essendunny
Sartorius
Club Captain

Post by Sartorius »

I'd really feel sorry for Lloydy to lose it, the club means so much to him and he really means well for it. But he just can't be inspirational enough from the goal square, and he shouldn't be playing up the ground. Mcveigh has shown he can turn a match, and get others involved. Lloyd is a champion player, a champion full forward, but Mcveigh has become the spiritual leader at Essendon. He should be the next captain. Maybe from next year, and Lloydy can do a Hirdy and play his final two years without the captaincy, just focusing on his own game.
Scott
On the Rookie List

Post by Scott »

Short f****** memories you f****** people!!!!!
On the Rookie List

Post by 84859300 »

BenDoolan wrote:I've already made it clear that Macca should be the next captain. I believe they should really consider a leadership change for next year.
So where are we at now Benny....do we keep 18 for the rest of this year or mount a change, as is expected under the "new rules" coaching panel??
First name: Mr
Second name: period
Last name: T
stryper
High Draft Pick

Post by stryper »

Scott get with the program...
No-one is bagging Lloydy...
Has been a superstar but NOT cut out to be captain!!! and Never was...

Thats Life...

MJ was also a star at one point but now he is in the green pastures to retire!!!

Age catches up with everyone unfortunately...
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

84859300 wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:I've already made it clear that Macca should be the next captain. I believe they should really consider a leadership change for next year.
So where are we at now Benny....do we keep 18 for the rest of this year or mount a change, as is expected under the "new rules" coaching panel??
What do you mean, numbers? You suggesting a change of leadership during the season?
Essendunny
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Scott wrote:Short f****** memories you f****** people!!!!!
No, I have a long memory. Ask me a question, and I'll probably answer it.
Essendunny
On the Rookie List

Post by 84859300 »

BenDoolan wrote:
84859300 wrote:
What do you mean, numbers? You suggesting a change of leadership during the season?
Let's say, I'm not adverse to it......but I await my shouting down in 3, 2, 1.......
First name: Mr
Second name: period
Last name: T
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Name a game where he has shown great ON FIELD LEADERSHIP!!

He hasn't done, good leader of the ground, shocking leader on the field. Still an absolute champion full forward and club champion, however, that does not hide the fact that McVeigh and Hille are both far superior on field leaders!!!
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

Yeah, the question needs to be asked.

There's no doubt Lloyd has been a great champion of this club, but great players don't automatically make great captains.

I think the role requires a presence all over the ground, and when Lloyd does roam out of the forward line as he tends to do it hasn't always been successful.

For mine, McVeigh. Swap the role over as what happened with the Hird/Lloyd, O'Donnell/Hird, Thompson/O'Donnell, TD/Watson (and so on) transistions. (i.e give the new captain support from the old captain in the first year/years of that new captainancy). Seemed to have worked well in the past.
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

I called this last year, McVeigh will contribute each week, Lloyd may not.

I don't care about ability, but a captain must have an impact week in week out.
merty92
Top Up Player

Post by merty92 »

Mcveigh all the way, then one of the young guns after him.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

I love McVeigh and I think he'd make a great captain but its ridiculous to put this poll up the morning after the worst game of Lloyd's career.

Lloyd had been a great servant of this club over a decade. Let's not give him up just yet.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

I would like for Lloyd to see out the year and after round 22, have a thorough look at whether the captaincy is an extra burden on him that he doesn't need.

In saying that, if he ends up with 80 goals, then he wont have to think about it for long.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Typical response when things do not go our way. Sack the Captain!!, Sack the coach!!, Sack the fitness staff!! Sack the players. Lloyd is the captain. He has earned the captaincy. Sure he had a shocker but the delivery to him was shit and Hudgston was all over him like a cheap suit, in most instances illegally. (check out this morning's Age).

I find that these sorts of discussions re giving up the captaincy are futile because:

a). It aint going to happen
b). next week he kicks 6 against the filth and all is fogotten

Lloyd was chosen with the support of both Hird and Sheedy, two fairly astute judges of character. Time to support the Captain, not bury him.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Filthy wrote:
ealesy wrote:
Name a game where he has shown great ON FIELD LEADERSHIP!!

He hasn't done, good leader of the ground, shocking leader on the field. Still an absolute champion full forward and club champion, however, that does not hide the fact that McVeigh and Hille are both far superior on field leaders!!!
Love most of your work Ealsey but he did show a lot of grunt in the Norf game when we lost Scotty and was pretty good against the Scum after 1/2 time. Delivery and service in the Pussy's and last night games was very ordinary (skill errors) I am sure you will agree.
Difference standing up as a full-forward and standing up as a captain.

The North game, and Carlton game I feel it was far more th leadership displayd by the likes of McVeigh and Hille that lift the team that then lead to Lloyd having greater opportunities, that he was able to take because he is a great fullforward.