Stanton

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Stanton

Post by Rossoneri »

GET THAT #5 OFF YOUR BACK.
Yes guys, you guessed it, it's a critical thread about Stanton. Im stunned that people gave him as our best player. Sure he had 25 touches, but at 60% effeciency, what does that tell you?

He had a direct hand in three of Collingwoods first 4 goals, with stupid handballs that either missed the target or went to an Essendon player with 3 on him. His kicking over the years has gone from poor to ordinary to average and now it is back to ordinary. If you're an inside midfielder, go in and get the ball, if you're and outside midfielder, work on your disposal.

Im guessing he got the number 5 jumper because they thought he would show some leadership? Hasn't once shown it, and these last two weeks without McVeigh, we really needed him to stand up and do something. He seems to run pretty fast when he has the ball, but when chasing back, he is huffing and puffing.

I mean fair dinkum set shot within 50 and he kicks it out on the full?

I am so over this guy it is not funny anymore. No he wasn't our worst player yesterday, but more is expected of him and he fails to deliver time and time again. Maybe when the Gold Coast team comes out and they have 8 picks in the top 20, we can get a pick for him as they would at least want an experienced midfielder, even if he isn't any good.

BenDoolan - Who wore #5 before TD? So far Stanton is the worst #5 for 30 years, I just want to see how far back we can go.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: Stanton

Post by BenDoolan »

Rossoneri wrote:GET THAT #5 OFF YOUR BACK.
Yes guys, you guessed it, it's a critical thread about Stanton. Im stunned that people gave him as our best player. Sure he had 25 touches, but at 60% effeciency, what does that tell you?

He had a direct hand in three of Collingwoods first 4 goals, with stupid handballs that either missed the target or went to an Essendon player with 3 on him. His kicking over the years has gone from poor to ordinary to average and now it is back to ordinary. If you're an inside midfielder, go in and get the ball, if you're and outside midfielder, work on your disposal.

Im guessing he got the number 5 jumper because they thought he would show some leadership? Hasn't once shown it, and these last two weeks without McVeigh, we really needed him to stand up and do something. He seems to run pretty fast when he has the ball, but when chasing back, he is huffing and puffing.

I am so over this guy it is not funny anymore. No he wasn't our worst player yesterday, but more is expected of him and he fails to deliver time and time again. Maybe when the Gold Coast team comes out and they have 8 picks in the top 20, we can get a pick for him as they would at least want an experienced midfielder, even if he isn't any good.

BenDoolan - Who wore #5 before TD? So far Stanton is the worst #5 for 30 years, I just want to see how far back we can go.
Well anyone who follows TD and Hird is going to be the "worst" No.5 in th elast 30 years in all seriousness. Prior To TD it was Gary Parkes (a reasonably talented wingman).
Essendunny
Stocksy
On the Rookie List

Post by Stocksy »

I thought the same thing, BUT who does compare to James Hird?

Hirdy didn't want it in mothballs, had to go to someone and to be honest it wouldnt matter who got it, they would have been on a hiding to nothing. There is no James Hird in our team nor will there be one coming through. He was unique, courageous, inspirational, unbeleivable and the list goes on. Lets face it he was GOD to us. Who was going to compare to that? And if you name anyone you are kidding yourself...

I have never been a fan of Stanton, but anyone who thought his game would become more Hird like because he pulled the jumper on is truly only kidding themself. To his credit he has taken on the pressure of wearing it, knowing full well who ever pulled the jumper on would be bagged. James Hird created his own history wearing the number, just as TD did before him, now its time for Stanton to create his. Good or Bad doesnt matter, the number means nothing, its the jumper that means everything...
Here's to swimming with bow legged women...
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Stocksy wrote:I thought the same thing, BUT who does compare to James Hird?

Hirdy didn't want it in mothballs, had to go to someone and to be honest it wouldnt matter who got it, they would have been on a hiding to nothing. There is no James Hird in our team nor will there be one coming through. He was unique, courageous, inspirational, unbeleivable and the list goes on. Lets face it he was GOD to us. Who was going to compare to that? And if you name anyone you are kidding yourself...

I have never been a fan of Stanton, but anyone who thought his game would become more Hird like because he pulled the jumper on is truly only kidding themself. To his credit he has taken on the pressure of wearing it, knowing full well who ever pulled the jumper on would be bagged. James Hird created his own history wearing the number, just as TD did before him, now its time for Stanton to create his. Good or Bad doesnt matter, the number means nothing, its the jumper that means everything...
Excellent post.
Essendunny
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

What number he wears doesn't mean shit. He is playing poorly - but then again nearly everyone on our list is down. The handball errors in the middle - to me - are the result of STUPID tactics - that Stants and others are trying to follow. We should be learning to kick to leading targets inside 50 - not overpossessing in the midfield and coughing it up left right and centre.
spikefan
On the Rookie List

Post by spikefan »

Rossoneri wrote:GET THAT #5 OFF YOUR BACK.

Ross
I followed you posts for many years and I would say that you are a very good poster with quite a good knowledge of footy. But here you are wrong. That you don't rate Stanton is fine with me - actually I am not much a fan either at the moment for all the reasons stated above. But that you ask to take the number 5 of his back, is completely wrong. Think of the player, what message is that? demoralizing, insulting, demeaning and for not a good enough reason. Players are humans they need a balance between motivation and fair criticism.

A while ago -surprisingly only 18 months ago - a poster on BB in very good standing was suggesting that the number 10 be taken away from a certain player ... I let you imagine the rest and I argued along the same line but quite forcefully. Maybe in 18 months Stants will have improved to be our best midfielder..

Lets keep away from those dramatic calls. We love the players who wear the Essendon jumper and when they deserve it we give fair criticism or praise, but not abuse.
Red and Black Forever
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

I know they wont take the number off him, nor will they take the captaincy off Lloyd or whatever, but Stanton has been playing poorly for over a year now.

Does he get dropped? No! But for some reason, he gets praised for his efforts. Lack of accountabilty, tackling and staying on your feet is effort? He only works one way, and even still, his disposal in the past 12 months especially has been more harm than good.

Now it will be hard to dro him as we have few players to choose from, but when Spike, Jetta, Dempsey, Lonergan and even Hislop and Myers, when they get match fit, I would rather see them in the team than Stanton. At least with these guys, you know their opponent will have to earn his kicks.
He kicks on the left
That boy Hurley
spikefan
On the Rookie List

Post by spikefan »

Agree. Stanton needs to toughen up and to improve his disposal ; no question. :wink:
Red and Black Forever
Malky
Regular Senior Player

Post by Malky »

I'm not a fan of Stanton's - never have been - and at the rate he's going, never will be.

Having the number 5 on his back magnifies the problem that he's currently wearing a black jumper with a red sash.

His use of the ball is horrible. His decision making is horrible. His work ethic is questionable - I have happened to notice on a number of occassions where Stanton is called upon to chase an opponent, he finds an excuse not to. Whether it's by falling to ground, feigning an injury (he did this yesterday!) or appearing to labour in his running - he simply does not chase blokes down.
Turn the tables around when he wants the loose, easy ball from a team mate just 15 metres away, he's screaming and waving his arms, pleading for the ball to be given to him.
NOT THE THING TO DO!!!

To be honest, I'm not sure what can be done with hm. Too many injuries at the moment mean he has to play.

Until he demonstrates on a regular basis that he's able to use and deliver the ball properly, I'll cringe every time he goes near it
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

This year, Stanton is third on our list for disposals, first for goal assists and second for goals scored. He has kicked seven goals from the midfield this year. Lloyd has thirteen from full forward.

I don't mind people getting stuck into him for a couple of squib efforts earlier this year but for f***'s sake... realise what he does bring to the team.

The rest of the competition rates his disposal and he generally wears a tag as a result... why don't we? Because 9 times out of 10 when he's coming out of defense he has f*** all options because his team mates are too lazy to present.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

andrewb wrote:This year, Stanton is third on our list for disposals, first for goal assists and second for goals scored. He has kicked seven goals from the midfield this year. Lloyd has thirteen from full forward.

I don't mind people getting stuck into him for a couple of squib efforts earlier this year but for f***'s sake... realise what he does bring to the team.

The rest of the competition rates his disposal and he generally wears a tag as a result... why don't we? Because 9 times out of 10 when he's coming out of defense he has f*** all options because his team mates are too lazy to present.
Wow, that certainly puts things into perspective. I've been jumping to the defence of Stanton over the years, and have found myself annoyed at some of his "bail out" efforts this year. But you are quite right, there are the good things that he brings to the team that is often overlooked.
Essendunny
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

Far out.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

BenDoolan wrote:
andrewb wrote:This year, Stanton is third on our list for disposals, first for goal assists and second for goals scored. He has kicked seven goals from the midfield this year. Lloyd has thirteen from full forward.

Wow, that certainly puts things into perspective. I've been jumping to the defence of Stanton over the years, and have found myself annoyed at some of his "bail out" efforts this year. But you are quite right, there are the good things that he brings to the team that is often overlooked.
Second for goals scored is a glaring statistic. Anybody got the effeciency rating for his disposal?
And I didnt realise that a mongrel kick off the boot is because the forwards aren't presenting?

I do agree that our forwards dont present but is that why a kick turns mongrel, especially when you run around the side looking for the quick give?
He kicks on the left
That boy Hurley
stryper
High Draft Pick

Post by stryper »

Excellent post BD...
God thing that he is recognised for his efforts...
Def not anywhere near our worst...
Will only get better the more he plays...
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Rossoneri wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:

Second for goals scored is a glaring statistic. Anybody got the effeciency rating for his disposal?
And I didnt realise that a mongrel kick off the boot is because the forwards aren't presenting?

I do agree that our forwards dont present but is that why a kick turns mongrel, especially when you run around the side looking for the quick give?
I think a huge problem with the forwards not presenting (and Lloyd not kicking bags) is that the midfield are over using the ball and the forwards don't know when to lead since they don't know when the midfielder is going to release the ball. The over use of the handball in themiddle (Stanton is one excellent example) is not only hurting us going the other way but when we go forward our forward line seem confused as to what the player with the ball is going to do next. Even if they demand the ball and present, there is an extra handball or two instead of running and carrying and delivering by foot to the forwards.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Boyler_Room wrote:
I think a huge problem with the forwards not presenting (and Lloyd not kicking bags) is that the midfield are over using the ball and the forwards don't know when to lead since they don't know when the midfielder is going to release the ball. The over use of the handball in themiddle (Stanton is one excellent example) is not only hurting us going the other way but when we go forward our forward line seem confused as to what the player with the ball is going to do next. Even if they demand the ball and present, there is an extra handball or two instead of running and carrying and delivering by foot to the forwards.
Ah yes, that was very evident on Friday. Just the one handball too many, and not getting the ball in more quickly to the forward fifty. It does make life more difficult for the forward, and life a little easier for the backman.
Essendunny
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Players are simply following orders (run and handball). Problem is that cattle are missing.

Stanton tried hard and was better than most on the day. He has his weaknesses, he has his strengths. More strengths than most and if you didn't give him or McVeigh the #5 I think we'd have to shelve it for a few years because there's noone else who deserves it more.

Let's f*** this thread off now - I think that everyone is just pissed off at losing to the pies.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

Hmmm. As most would be aware, Stanton is not my favourite player. However, the thing I've noticed about midfields lately is that a team either has a good midfield, or it doesn't. When a team's midfield is playing poorly, it's very difficult for any midfielder to play well. If a midfield lacks confidence or players aren't running to the right spots, the whole midfield will collapse. I'm sure if we took Stanton out and stuck him in the Geelong team, he'd look a thousand times better than he currently does.

Whilst I'm continually disugusted with Stanton's softness, lack of accountability and inconsistent disposal, once the midfield gets up and running, he will prove to be a vaulable player. It hurts me to say it, but he will.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

gringo wrote:Hmmm. As most would be aware, Stanton is not my favourite player. However, the thing I've noticed about midfields lately is that a team either has a good midfield, or it doesn't. When a team's midfield is playing poorly, it's very difficult for any midfielder to play well. If a midfield lacks confidence or players aren't running to the right spots, the whole midfield will collapse. I'm sure if we took Stanton out and stuck him in the Geelong team, he'd look a thousand times better than he currently does.
Whilst I'm continually disugusted with Stanton's softness, lack of accountability and inconsistent disposal, once the midfield gets up and running, he will prove to be a vaulable player. It hurts me to say it, but he will.
While I often find you amusing, I can safely say that may be the most insightful thing you have posted.
nathanskinner
Top Up Player

Post by nathanskinner »

people on here are ridiculous.. definately need to stop singling out players for poor team efforts.