Some observations Part III

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
gringo
Club Captain

Some observations Part III

Post by gringo »

1. For farks sake - START LLOYD IN THE GOALSQUARE AND LEAVE HIM THERE ALL GAME. He's not a flanker, he's a FF and needs to be played accordingly. He is not agile enough for the flank and can't time his leads as well as he can when he's leading from the goal square. Admit you were wrong Knights and leave him in the goal square.

2. Monfries and Rama - No future for either of these guys.

3. Watson and Stanton - need to be persisted with in their current rolls subject to Stanton getting some toughness and a win at all costs attitude. Both will be much more effective once the midfield starts to click.

4. Courtney Johns - play him in the forward fifty. It's the only position he will be able to play at an AFL level. If he can't make it there, refer him to http://www.jetstar.com.au

5. Accountability - we are the risk of becomming a poor man's Carlton. Unless our midfield is prepared to run both ways, we might as well smash pipes with Filthy over yonder. We need one or two players running in front of the ball, not fifteen.

6. Nathan LM - persist with him across half back. Adds some desperately needed mongrel in a worringly soft team.

Ben Doolan pointed out a number of other problems in another thread, so I won't bother with handpassing to players under pressure etc.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Re: Some observations Part III

Post by robbie67 »

You're wrong about Rama. Everything else, yeah ok. Though i dont think Johns will ever make it.

Rama is an above average footballer, that can rotate through the mid-field. His value shouldnt be under question in spite of a poor performance on Friday.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

robbie67 wrote:You're wrong about Rama. Everything else, yeah ok. Though i dont think Johns will ever make it.

Rama is an above average footballer, that can rotate through the mid-field. His value shouldnt be under question in spite of a poor performance on Friday.
Hmm, I'm not sure. He gets knocked off the ball very easily, and isn't going to be around when we start challening for finals again. I'd much rather see his spot go to a younger player.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

gringo wrote:
robbie67 wrote:You're wrong about Rama. Everything else, yeah ok. Though i dont think Johns will ever make it.

Hmm, I'm not sure. He gets knocked off the ball very easily, and isn't going to be around when we start challening for finals again. I'd much rather see his spot go to a younger player.

How old is he? Could only be 27 tops? You cant have only kids. Look at what happened to the mid-field on Friday without McVeigh. He is one of the rare players that we have in that age group because of our abysmal effort in the draft in those years. With it being all but over for JJ and Pev, Rama becomes somebody we HAVE to keep. Ialso think he is going to get stronger. You dont get strength in one trouble free pre-season, you need at least three.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

gringo wrote:1. For farks sake - START LLOYD IN THE GOALSQUARE AND LEAVE HIM THERE ALL GAME. He's not a flanker, he's a FF and needs to be played accordingly. He is not agile enough for the flank and can't time his leads as well as he can when he's leading from the goal square. Admit you were wrong Knights and leave him in the goal square.

3. Watson and Stanton - need to be persisted with in their current rolls subject to Stanton getting some toughness and a win at all costs attitude. Both will be much more effective once the midfield starts to click.

4. Courtney Johns - play him in the forward fifty. It's the only position he will be able to play at an AFL level. If he can't make it there, refer him to http://www.jetstar.com.au

5. Accountability - we are the risk of becomming a poor man's Carlton. Unless our midfield is prepared to run both ways, we might as well smash pipes with Filthy over yonder. We need one or two players running in front of the ball, not fifteen.

6. Nathan LM - persist with him across half back. Adds some desperately needed mongrel in a worringly soft team.

Ben Doolan pointed out a number of other problems in another thread, so I won't bother with handpassing to players under pressure etc.
Except for your observation on Stanton I absolutely agree on all 6.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

Staggy wrote:
gringo wrote:1. For farks sake - START LLOYD IN THE GOALSQUARE AND LEAVE HIM THERE ALL GAME. He's not a flanker, he's a FF and needs to be played accordingly. He is not agile enough for the flank and can't time his leads as well as he can when he's leading from the goal square. Admit you were wrong Knights and leave him in the goal square.

Except for your observation on Stanton I absolutely agree on all 6.
You don't rate Lovett-Murray then Staggy? Or think he's best suited to another position?
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

I think Rama has been reasonably good this year gringo. He has performed well defensively, and has drifted forward and kicked an occasional goal as well. He still appears to have his natural reflexes and awareness, and he a is still quite good below his knees i.e can skillfully gather the ground ball and lay it off with reasonable precision. I thought he did well on Didak when he was on him, although, when the ball goes into their F50 a whopping 67 times, you're going to have your work cut out. I was concerned that he may not ever get back to AFL standard, but I have been pleasantly surprised with his efforts to be honest. As Robbie said, we need every 25 - 28 year old player we can get ATM. His experience and "know how" is vital to the list. You were keen on Campo staying on because of that very thing. Rama still has time on his side.
Essendunny
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

BenDoolan wrote:I think Rama has been reasonably good this year gringo. He has performed well defensively, and has drifted forward and kicked an occasional goal as well. He still appears to have his natural reflexes and awareness, and he a is still quite good below his knees i.e can skillfully gather the ground ball and lay it off with reasonable precision. I thought he did well on Didak when he was on him, although, when the ball goes into their F50 a whopping 67 times, you're going to have your work cut out. I was concerned that he may not ever get back to AFL standard, but I have been pleasantly surprised with his efforts to be honest. As Robbie said, we need every 25 - 28 year old player we can get ATM. His experience and "know how" is vital to the list. You were keen on Campo staying on because of that very thing. Rama still has time on his side.
Yes, I guess that's true. We do lack players between 25-28 years of age. It just seems we have a number of players who can play the role he does that are younger. Having that experience around does help though, and we are in serious need of some on field leadership with McVeigh and Lucas out.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

BenDoolan wrote:I think Rama has been reasonably good this year gringo. He has performed well defensively, and has drifted forward and kicked an occasional goal as well. He still appears to have his natural reflexes and awareness, and he a is still quite good below his knees i.e can skillfully gather the ground ball and lay it off with reasonable precision. I thought he did well on Didak when he was on him, although, when the ball goes into their F50 a whopping 67 times, you're going to have your work cut out. I was concerned that he may not ever get back to AFL standard, but I have been pleasantly surprised with his efforts to be honest. As Robbie said, we need every 25 - 28 year old player we can get ATM. His experience and "know how" is vital to the list. You were keen on Campo staying on because of that very thing. Rama still has time on his side.
Exactly.

67 I50s is ridiculous. 67 I50s for 40 odd scoring shots shows just how little midfield accountability there was. Rama has played well this year and will only get better as his fitness base improves - remember this is only his second year of footy in about 5.
nathanskinner
Top Up Player

Post by nathanskinner »

no future for monfries? get ya hand off it.
uptick
High Draft Pick
Location: Under cover, deep in the heart of Carlscum territory

Post by uptick »

"1. For farks sake - START LLOYD IN THE GOALSQUARE AND LEAVE HIM THERE ALL GAME. He's not a flanker, he's a FF and needs to be played accordingly. He is not agile enough for the flank and can't time his leads as well as he can when he's leading from the goal square. Admit you were wrong Knights and leave him in the goal square."

I thought Knights was all for LLoyd staying at FF, is this the one promise he hasn't kept ??
If we are not supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat ?.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

nathanskinner wrote:no future for monfries? get ya hand off it.
Not so sure - he is struggling big time.
Brumaz
High Draft Pick

Post by Brumaz »

Absolutely wrong about Rama. He adds alot to our team.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

uptick wrote:"1. For farks sake - START LLOYD IN THE GOALSQUARE AND LEAVE HIM THERE ALL GAME. He's not a flanker, he's a FF and needs to be played accordingly. He is not agile enough for the flank and can't time his leads as well as he can when he's leading from the goal square. Admit you were wrong Knights and leave him in the goal square."

I thought Knights was all for LLoyd staying at FF, is this the one promise he hasn't kept ??
I get the feeling Lloyd's trying to compensate for the loss of Lucas and our subsequent lack of a CHF by pushing himself up the field. We've been breaking down badly across CHF more or less the whole year, except for when NLM/McPhee did a good job covering for Lucas for the second half v North. It's a tough situation as i'm sure Lloyd himself would prefer to play out of the goalsquare, but he realises there's a hole at CHF that no one's properly filling.
uptick
High Draft Pick
Location: Under cover, deep in the heart of Carlscum territory

Post by uptick »

jimmyc1985 wrote:
uptick wrote:"1. For farks sake - START LLOYD IN THE GOALSQUARE AND LEAVE HIM THERE ALL GAME. He's not a flanker, he's a FF and needs to be played accordingly. He is not agile enough for the flank and can't time his leads as well as he can when he's leading from the goal square. Admit you were wrong Knights and leave him in the goal square."

I get the feeling Lloyd's trying to compensate for the loss of Lucas and our subsequent lack of a CHF by pushing himself up the field. We've been breaking down badly across CHF more or less the whole year, except for when NLM/McPhee did a good job covering for Lucas for the second half v North. It's a tough situation as i'm sure Lloyd himself would prefer to play out of the goalsquare, but he realises there's a hole at CHF that no one's properly filling.

good point
If we are not supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat ?.
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

The ideal candidate that can be played at CHF played on the weekend but in the wrong position - i.e. on Travis Cloke. Lloyd should be played at FF with a radius arc of about 40 metres tops. His goal kicking ability outside of that range has deteriorated. Johns at CHF until the return of Lucas or the recovery of either Gumbelton or Neagle. McPhee on one flank and a small on the other.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

MH_Bomber wrote:The ideal candidate that can be played at CHF played on the weekend but in the wrong position - i.e. on Travis Cloke. Lloyd should be played at FF with a radius arc of about 40 metres tops. His goal kicking ability outside of that range has deteriorated. Johns at CHF until the return of Lucas or the recovery of either Gumbelton or Neagle. McPhee on one flank and a small on the other.
Yep, I agree. This is a perfect opportunity to say to Johns "we are giving you a month at CHF. See what you can do." If he fails, time to hit the showers. McPhee isn't a CHF and his running ability is more valuable on the flanks.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

gringo wrote:
MH_Bomber wrote:The ideal candidate that can be played at CHF played on the weekend but in the wrong position - i.e. on Travis Cloke. Lloyd should be played at FF with a radius arc of about 40 metres tops. His goal kicking ability outside of that range has deteriorated. Johns at CHF until the return of Lucas or the recovery of either Gumbelton or Neagle. McPhee on one flank and a small on the other.
Yep, I agree. This is a perfect opportunity to say to Johns "we are giving you a month at CHF. See what you can do." If he fails, time to hit the showers. McPhee isn't a CHF and his running ability is more valuable on the flanks.
I agree with this but it won't happen. Knights has been saying since last year that he wants to make Johns into a key backman, and true to his word, he has been playing him there at Bendigo.

Surely its unfair to play him at CHB for Bendigo, then put him in the seniors at CHF with the ultimatium that if he doesn't perform his career is over.

(For the record I do think that his position is CHF but just making the observation)
Gossy7
Club Captain

Post by Gossy7 »

Any ideas for McPhee?