Another Draw = Another Stupid Debate

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Madden
Club Captain

Another Draw = Another Stupid Debate

Post by Madden »

As Rohan Connolly (aka: best football writer bar none) correctly points out today (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/r ... tml?page=3), I am dreading the inevitable public debate on the merits of draws that is sure to happen this week.

For the record, I am pro the system we have at the moment, which is retaining draws for the normal season, playing extra time in the finals and replaying the Grand Final. Anti-draw campaigners are generally split into two main camps:

1. Those who think we should play extra time in the GF; and
2. Those who think we should play extra time in all matches.

I think current system is great because it retains the draw in all circumstances where it is practicable to do so. The only reason that extra time is played in the finals is only because a draw would ruin the scheduling for all subsquent finals and would be unfair on other teams. IMO, we should not play extra time in any other games - the reason being because a draw in AFL (unlike soccer) is so very very rare that it is actually fundamentally unfair to split the two teams. If 120 minutes cannot decide the game, then so be it.

Likewise in the Grand Final. I think that a drawn GF and a replay would be amazing. From a fairness perspective, if after 6 months, 22 rounds and 4 finals, two teams can absolutely not be seperated, then to have the winner decided by virtue of a frantic last 5 minutes is ridiculous. The only fair way to break such a deadlock should be with another game.

So two questions to the posters in here:

1. Do you support draws in the regular season; and
2. Do you support a draw (and subsquent replay the next week) in the Grand Final.

Over to you...
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Re: Another Draw = Another Stupid Debate

Post by swoodley »

I'm quite happy with the current set up.

If only it had existed in 1990 (f****** Sumich the wanker :evil: )
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

swoodley wrote:I'm quite happy with the current set up.

If only it had existed in 1990 (f****** Sumich the wanker :evil: )
It was because of Sumich they introduced extra time for finals except the GF.

And yes, I support the current standing. There is absolutely no need for extra time in the regular season or the GF. Idiots like Craig Hutchison can get stuffed.
Essendunny
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

A draw is a result, like a win and a loss is.

We can't have extra time in the H&A season.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

1. Draws in the regular season are fine by me. I give the same advice to the AFL regarding this as i did when they were reviewing whether the play the GF at night: just fking leave it alone.
2. Slightly more controversial, but should probably still be left as is with the replay arrangement. Perfect opportunity to start drinking at 9am on a Saturday morning two weeks in a row.
GoalSneak
Top Up Player

Post by GoalSneak »

I strongly support the status quo, particularly with respect to draws during the season. I could cope with extra time in the Grand Final but would prefer it left alone. Anyway, I am sure the AFL would be quite happy about a draw in the GF; just think of the extra revenue a replay brings.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

I don't mind the draw.

i don't like it(feels like a loss), but thats from the team who had the lead and lost it to level.
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

Don't mind the draw, and don't mind the Grand Final Replay.

Good system all round.
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

Well summed up Staggy. I like the way the draw is handled as it stands. Its only inconsistent for dumb people.

Remember the round 3 Carlton game in 1993 - Sticks Kernahan has a chance to win the game after the siren by scoring anything and kicks it out on the full. The roar from the Bomber faithful was a fantastic memory. I recall having my hands over my eyes as he went to kick it and then hysterically hugged all my Bomber friends around me as I realised he completely fluffed the kick. In that case the draw felt like a win. Carlton thought they were the bee knees that year and for them to draw in such circumstances with our side full of first year players like Fletcher, Hird, Mercuri, Misiti and Olerenshaw was priceless.

It could be well argued that Sumich's miss in 1990 cost us the flag. So yes extra time in finals is a necessity. For GF ending in a draw should mean "we come back next week".

Just leave things alone.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

MH_Bomber wrote:Well summed up Staggy. I like the way the draw is handled as it stands. Its only inconsistent for dumb people.

Remember the round 3 Carlton game in 1993 - Sticks Kernahan has a chance to win the game after the siren by scoring anything and kicks it out on the full. The roar from the Bomber faithful was a fantastic memory. I recall having my hands over my eyes as he went to kick it and then hysterically hugged all my Bomber friends around me as I realised he completely fluffed the kick. In that case the draw felt like a win. Carlton thought they were the bee knees that year and for them to draw in such circumstances with our side full of first year players like Fletcher, Hird, Mercuri, Misiti and Olerenshaw was priceless.

It could be well argued that Sumich's miss in 1990 cost us the flag. So yes extra time in finals is a necessity. For GF ending in a draw should mean "we come back next week".

Just leave things alone.
Oh what a great day that was! I had a couple of Carlton wankers a few rows ahead of us who jumped up when Kernahan took the mark. They turned around and gave us all the two fingered salutes and a few choice words of "stick it up your arse". Naturally there was plenty of niggle during the course of the game where I was sitting. When mullet head missed the lot, we jumped up and absolutely gave it to those wankers. They just sat there thumping their thighs with their fists. Loved it!!! It was like a victory.
Essendunny
nomolos
Club Captain

Post by nomolos »

dom_105 wrote:Don't mind the draw, and don't mind the Grand Final Replay.

Good system all round.
The Man from Bomberland
Champion of Essendon

Post by The Man from Bomberland »

A draw in the regular season is fine. I would be absolutely filthy if one of our boys got injured while being forced to play extra time in a drawn match during the regular season. Players aren't prepared to do that extra work and their muscles are usually burning by game's end anyway. Yes for players a draw sucks but draws provide such theatre. Some of the more memorable footy moments have been draws (ANZAC Day 1995).
Bombers till' I die
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

I think extra time should be played in all games barring the Grand Final where a replay is appropriate
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Except 1948.

Might have got our kicking boots on for 10 minutes to SNAP US OUT OF IT.

Otherwise,DRAWS are just fine.