Silly thought really....

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Re: Silly thought really....

Post by Rossoneri »

Yes, it is a silly thought.

At least with Jetta back in, we should see an increase in tackles. Too bad Jetta cant play for 120 minutes.

Would love to see Johns actually use his size to his advantage once, just once would be a good start.

Wont get within 11 goals.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
rednblack
Top Up Player

Post by rednblack »

yes it really is a silly thought.
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

Don't even entertain the thought Filth.
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

I'm with you Filth...what have you got left if you can't show up on the day with a bit of optimism :wink:

Would be huge if the young guys could do it. Having said that, reckon we'll get pumped.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Anyone else read about Williams having a sook about Chad Cornes being injured and having to figure out how to plug that gap.

WTF....you f****** soft cock bastard, how about you try coaching a team missing at least half of it's first pick team before complaining about having to cover an injured player!!
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

Filth, I'm with you but I nearly never say never...

I tipped Port but I wont be completely amazed if we were to get away with it.

I'll be watching (if it's on austar) as I always do...
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
srams
Top Up Player

Post by srams »

Filthy wrote: Backs against the wall....14 injuries....press and bookies agin us...have been shat on from a great height all week especially by yours truly..Essendon Footy Club tradition.....at home....luck due to change......

GO BOMBERS
Now we'll find out about Knights and his abilty to motivate the team and get them to believe it is possible.

A backs against the wall situation was one that Sheeds used to relish and a lot of the time he managed to get a better than expected performance out of them - although not necessarily always a win.

I'm with you - it's a two horse race and it's possible we could all be pleasantly surprised by 7pm tonight.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

If we win tonight, it will most likely be the greatest victories I'll have ever witnessed considering the lack of quality players we will have playing. It would be like watching Bangladesh beat Australia in a ODI......oh wait on!
Essendunny
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

I'm reminded of a certain game in 1977 out at VFL Park against Richmond.
We had lots of injuries and weren't expected to get within a bull's roar of the Tigers.
Bill Stephens was the coach.
Timmy Watson and Paul Van Der Haar were both teenagers playing only their first or second game, I think.
We scraped an honourable draw.
The "baby bombers" were born.

(As usual, I'm a bit hazy on the exact details - Benny will no doubt be able to correct any errors).
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

billyduckworth wrote:I'm reminded of a certain game in 1977 out at VFL Park against Richmond.
We had lots of injuries and weren't expected to get within a bull's roar of the Tigers.
Bill Stephens was the coach.
Timmy Watson and Paul Van Der Haar were both teenagers playing only their first or second game, I think.
We scraped an honourable draw.
The "baby bombers" were born.

(As usual, I'm a bit hazy on the exact details - Benny will no doubt be able to correct any errors).
I doubt it....I olny have very vague memories at best, prior to 1979. I read an article yesterday about Terry Cahill when he was knocked out senseless by Ditterich in a game against St.Kilda at Moorabbin in 1978. I had totally forgotten about this incident, but vague recollections came back as I read the snippits on how our President Colin Stubbs labelled St.Kilda "animals" to the press.

With the 1977 draw against Richmond, all I remember was all the hoopla about Timmy Watson making his debut at the age of 15 (F****** hard to believe these days.....15!!!). The second youngest player in history. And IIRC, I later found out that Tim Watson actually replaced his brother Larry in the side....
Essendunny
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

Good on ya Filth, finally some optimism from some other people besides myself. Since when have Port been playing awesome football. They beat West Coast at home, so did Carlton wow :roll: and last weeks game against the Saints was an appalling game to watch. They should be favourites thats fine but god they are not Geelong. I wouldn't be surprised if we pull it off today, it would be extremely handy because we will get Lucas and McVeigh back in a couple of weeks time and possibly could knock a few teams off when they do so a win today would be great, a loss would be pretty devastating in the sense that our season is almost over, unlike others i haven't given up yet. It is only Round 7 and funnier things have happened. I'm off to today's game and really looking forward to it. I tip port by 12 but it won't be one way traffic I can guarantee that, well I hope :roll: Go Bombers :) :!:
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

In a perverse Sheedy-esk way I haven't looked forward to a Bomber game so much since we last played finals.

This is real back-to-the-wall stuff. Can't wait!!!!!

GO BOMBERS!!!!!!!

BTW - I believe the 1977 contest was at Windy Hill. We were 27 points down at 3 quarter time and Van der Harr and Watson announced themselves to the footballing world. I seem to recall Madden ripping the tiges a new one in the 2nd half as well.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

hop wrote:In a perverse Sheedy-esk way I haven't looked forward to a Bomber game so much since we last played finals.

GO BOMBERS!!!!!!!

BTW - I believe the 1977 contest was at Windy Hill. We were 27 points down at 3 quarter time and Van der Harr and Watson announced themselves to the footballing world. I seem to recall Madden ripping the tiges a new one in the 2nd half as well.
Definitely VFL Park. I cannot remember a thing about the game...only the brief snippits I've seen since.
Essendunny
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Ice cubes in hell spring to mind Filth.

Either way, I will be looking for so much more tha just a win,

The form of young debutantes, the effort, the passion and the committment. If after that we win, great.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

I must be a bit older than you, Benny, as my memories definitely extend quite well into 1977/78.
I will never forget the game at Moorabin in 1978. Sidebottom knocked out a very young Merv Neagle right in front of where I was standing. I remember our President saying "they played like animals".

As for the 1977 draw against Richmond, it was definitely at VFL Park. Round 7 14th May.
Footscray had beaten us at Windy Hill the previous week by 100 pts.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Rossoneri wrote:Yes, it is a silly thought.

At least with Jetta back in, we should see an increase in tackles. Too bad Jetta cant play for 120 minutes.

Would love to see Johns actually use his size to his advantage once, just once would be a good start.

Wont get within 11 goals.
Where'd you get your crystal ball? 64 points... 11 goals... pretty damn close.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
GoalSneak
Top Up Player

Post by GoalSneak »

BenDoolan wrote:
hop wrote:In a perverse Sheedy-esk way I haven't looked forward to a Bomber game so much since we last played finals.

GO BOMBERS!!!!!!!

Definitely VFL Park. I cannot remember a thing about the game...only the brief snippits I've seen since.
It was VFL park. Tim Watson, Shane Heard and Wayne Primmer all played their first games and Don Mattson his only one. It was game 3 for Vander. Final scores were Essendon 15.9 to Richmond 14.15. The Windy Hill game was in 1978. We were 31 pts down early in the 4th and then kicked 9 goals to win by 21. The following week was the bloodbath game at Moorabbin when Ditterich nearly killed Terry Cahill.