Sorting the Men from the Boys

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
dheal
Top Up Player

Sorting the Men from the Boys

Post by dheal »

Difficult times like these reveals at lot about the character & attitude of players, coaches, administrators & even supporters. It sorts out the men from the boys, those who can't do the hard yards are OUT. We have to stick tough in these times , they won't last forever. I recall the tough times in th 70's but by the end of the decade we recruited young players ( not recycled rejects) such as Madden, Watson, Neagle, Merrett, Andrews, Van Der Haar, Hawker, Foulds etc which formed the basis of the successful 80's & beyond. Notice something about those players, They were tough nuts,big hearts. hard at it men who never gave up. The likes of Winderlich, Lazycock, Dyson & perhaps Stanton should take notice as these types of players are required NOW.
Knights inherited a lot of this (recruiters & training staff also) so give him time to weed out the non performers but perhaps he should have a hard nut on the coaching panel ( eg Hardwick, Merrret etc) to rev up some of the players, his panel consist of ex mid field types. Maybe some more Grunt is needed here also!
tom9779
Club Captain

Re: Sorting the Men from the Boys

Post by tom9779 »

like your 'hard nuts' eh?

We have got O'donnell as a defensive coach, and he has spent years under Matthews at Brisbane.

Recruited Tommy Hislop from Tassie who was described as a tough hard at it player.

I think your a bit tough on Winderlich, he has been in and out with injuries all year...(i wondered the same, but apparently thats the case).

Agree on Stanton, and I think Laycock like all big men needs plenty of game time. I'd play him every game this year then look at him hard at season end, he should be a lot better, if he aint let him go. His career has been too interrupted as well.

the boys running around for essendon at the moment will be men in 1-2 years time. hardened in the gym and intense training.

I think aside from us getting a 3/4th year recruit from another club, we have to suck it up. I agree it is poor 23-26 year olds at the club are what are costing us. not the kids or the old blokes.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Re: Sorting the Men from the Boys

Post by Windy_Hill »

tom9779 wrote: I agree it is poor 23-26 year olds at the club are what are costing us. not the kids or the old blokes.

I actually think its poor 21-30 year olds that are hurting us

Our best players (Lucas Lloyd, Fletcher are al 30+) or (Myers, Daniher, Gumbleton, Ryder, Houli, Jetta, Demspey etc are all 21 under)

Our best players between 21-30 are limited to probably McVeigh, Hille and Davey