Turning Back The Clock - The 1987 Catastrophe

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Turning Back The Clock - The 1987 Catastrophe

Post by BenDoolan »

Depletion by injuries continued from 1986. However, the season did start quite well, with a few hiccups along the way. After 8 rounds we were in 5th position in the top 5 back in those days. Then in R9, disaster struck. We capitulated to Hawthorn by 114 points with a team that still had 12 premiership players representing us. The score was;

Hawthorn 25.15: 165
Essendon 7.9: 51

It was Hawthorn's greatest winning margin against us. Only 3 late goals saved us from bigger embarrassment. The reaction?? After the loss, the Essendon Committee slashed the players pay packets as punishment for the debacle. CEO, Barry Capuano, accused the players of "not putting in".

The Bombers lost the following week against Melbourne, but fought back to beat the Saints the week after. However, come R17, the blackest day in Essendon's history occured. This was a complete annihilation and absolute humiliation. I felt physically sick watching this game on TV. Essendon v Sydney at the SCG. Again, 12 premiership players from the most feared 1984/85 side, took the field. It ended like this;

Sydney 36.20: 236
Essendon 11.7: 73

Sydney Swans shattered just about every VFL record in the book. They failed to kick the highest ever score in the history of the game by only 2 points. The loss demoralised the club and its supporters. It was hard to believe it was the same club that was described as the most powerful since World War II, only 2 years earlier. The reaction?? One week later, Kevin Sheedy was signed for another 2 years! :lol:

For the record, we finished 9th (out of 14) that season. It was the first time Sheedy missed the finals since he began in 1981. Many supporters were calling for his head. The media were in on it too. Funny how it took another 20 years for it to happen!
Essendunny
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Re: Turning Back The Clock - The 1987 Catastrophe

Post by billyduckworth »

Thanks for the reminder, Ben. I have vivid memories of the glory of 1984/85 and of the disappointment of 1986, but 1987 is quite hazy in my memory - now I know why!!

Dare I say it, maybe Sheedy should have moved on then?
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Ahhh Benny, the utter humiliation of fronting work and copping it from a couple of old Bloods from South Melbourne. History tells me that when we perform hopelessly on the field after fielding a good looking team on paper, that there is trouble afoot within the club. Can you recall any dissent at the club at that time.??
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

rockhole wrote:Ahhh Benny, the utter humiliation of fronting work and copping it from a couple of old Bloods from South Melbourne. History tells me that when we perform hopelessly on the field after fielding a good looking team on paper, that there is trouble afoot within the club. Can you recall any dissent at the club at that time.??
A lot of turmoil internally apparently. The playing group were pissed at the Bradbury / Carey trades in 1986. And the board were also at each other throats. I think Greg Sewell was under the pump. There was a fair bit of disenchantment around the place that's for sure.

And Billy, no, I never joined the chorus of "SACK SHEEDY" that year. Believe me, there was a lot of that amongst the crowd at games. Glad it didn't happen either!
Essendunny
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

I was overseas all of the '87 season and was always at least a week behind in the scores (no internet or e-mail in those days). When I saw those scores, I was glad that I was away.

It was the same in '83 when I spent most of the year in Europe. I remember ringing home a few hours after the GF and asking my mun what had happened. She told me we had lost by 80+ points....I said "you're talking about our win last week aren't you?" which, of course, she wasn't.

The next day was the only day I spent sick in bed the entire time I was away
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

I was at that game and could not find a hole big enough to hide in from the feral bandwagon swans supporters :( :evil:
The Fly
High Draft Pick

Post by The Fly »

You had to bring that game up!

I just sat and watched the game (on TV) in sheer disbelief. I don't think I was even swearing and cursing which is my usual MO during a belting. I was just stunned. And shattered. I am in fear of a repeat soon.