Chocco goes troppo

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Chocco goes troppo

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Geez, i reckon if one of our blokes got 3 weeks for what Burgoyne did, we'd be up in arms as well. Not sure if anyone's seen the footage of this interview with Williams, but, regardless of what you think about him personally, he made a good point...and did so whilst being totally livid at the same time. I reckon he can expect a nice little $10k fine for his spray.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,865 ... 11,00.html
ANGRY Port Adelaide coach Mark Williams believes the AFL will be changed forever - for the worse - if Shaun Burgoyne's three game suspension for accidental contact with the head of Hawk Sam Mitchell is allowed to stand.

In an extraordinary media appearance by a man synonymous with the core values of football and its teaching, Williams said the decision tore "at the fabric of the game" and was "right up there with the most bizarre thing I've ever seen".

He also called for an inquiry into the case and its ramifications for the game and the tribunal.

Port have decided against appealing the verdict because the club does not believe it would be able to achieve a positive result in a system heavy in legal technicality.

Instead Williams made his appeal public to stimulate debate on a case that has dominated video sessions at Alberton for the past three days.

"This is not about Shaun Burgoyne, it is for a second, the rest of it is about the game, and as great as the AFL were a couple years ago about protecting the head over the ball, this is protecting the integrity of the game," Williams said.

"What I saw is the Hawthorn medical staff probably overreacted and had to get the stretcher out there so he had to get on it and he had to spend 20 minutes off, but for the person (Mitchell) to get votes in the game and dominate the game, please, this is right up there with the most bizarre thing I've ever seen.

"The result is wrong, there has to be an inquiry into it, there has to be a view of how a coach and team and club plays contested football if that particular incident gets three weeks suspension for a player like Shaun."

Williams' central point was that under the interpretation employed by the AFL match review panel and tribunal, it would become impossible for players to attack the ball while also bracing for physical contact.

Such a ruling left them with the options of either entering a contest with their body exposed to whatever contact might ensue, or simply pulling out of the contest, which has been a taboo for as long as the game has existed.

"The skill of the game revolves around possessing the ball with contact, and that's exactly what Shaun tried to do," Williams said.

"Others will talk about did he deviate, yes he deviated. Who cares if he deviated, he's still going for the ball, and realistically the other person, Mitchell thought he was going to be in a contested situation, because 99 out of 100 times when you get to that situation that is what is going to occur.

"It was incidental, it was accidental, and I'm disappointed for Shaun but certainly I'm disappointed for the game because I have absolutely no idea what you are supposed to do in that situation, other than pull out of the situation, and I don't think any of us will accept that."

Burgoyne is understood to be disillusioned by the verdict and what it means for his attack on the ball in the future, given that he has long been considered a master at extracting the ball with skill and power from a contest.

"He's always been a ball player, always been a person who runs straight and hard, and when you think of all the scragging and attention he receives in a game, and so it'll take a little bit of time for him to come back from this," Williams said.

"Especially in indigenous week, he does so much for the AFL to push the indigenous side of it and it's disappointing he's not there to support that."
canberrabomber
Top Up Player

Re: Chocco goes troppo

Post by canberrabomber »

Chocco makes a sound case.

Perhaps he should have pondered this a couple of years ago when he personally lobbied the AFL to introduce 'tougher' rules for head high contact.
Last edited by canberrabomber on Fri May 23, 2008 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

I have to applaud what he said. I did see the incident and thought he was extremely stiff to get 3 weeks, but not surprised. What Choco says is pretty convincing, and he has a point.
Essendunny
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

:(
It's not even worth commenting on anymore, this stuff.
The AFL will do whatever the hell they want, and anyone having any opinion not in line with that or actually trying to better the game will only be making donations to the AFLs bank account.
They don't give a stuff and are full of ridiculously misplaced self-confidence.
f*** them all.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

All part of the AFL's intentions to turn our great game into a non contact sport (can't have little Johnnies mother worrying about her boy getting hurt now can we? :evil: )
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

You've gotta' love Choco. Would like to have him back at Bomberland some day. I like the no bullshit approach he takes with everyone; The players, the media AND the AFL...

Mind you. It was good to see Sam Mitchell cop one. Hawthorn has a list full of snipers. Good to see the score get evened up a tad...

=D>
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

First, I just want to point out that when we were looking for a replacement coach I wanted Williams at our club.

Second, the AFL would have jumped on us if we did what Williams did. At the moment they're "still deciding" whether to fine him or not. If that were Sheeds last year we would have been slapped with a $25k fine in an instant. There's rules, and then there are rules.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant