Time to Start Talking Trades/Delistings/Draft Picks

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Time to Start Talking Trades/Delistings/Draft Picks

Post by Windy_Hill »

I would normally reserve this activity until say Round 20 under normal circumstances.

Being the AFL's latest Basketcase is unfortunately not normal circumstances. There is no doubt in my mind that we are heading towards a bottom 2 finish and with all due respect to the sentamentalists that cringe at the thought of the Spoon, we might as well go for gold and get the First National and Pre-Season Draft pick by finishing 16th (way we are traveling we would finish 17th anyway - if that were possible!!).

We need to secure the 1st, 17th and 33rd picks plus trade for another 2 Top 20 picks, Say Pick 8 and 15

Picks 1, 8, 15, 17 and 33 will give us a much needed injection of young talent. Exactly what will be needed given that the following 2 years will see the new GC club getting the lion's share of the best young talent in the country.

Hard decisions will need to be made but I am convinced that we need to be realistic and aggressive in securing these additional draft picks through 'fair' trading with other clubs.

We also need to secure an established marquee player to fill the mid age ranks. A player with 150 games between 25-28 years of age. An out of contract player that can be secured in the Pre-season draft (another reason why finishing 16th will be important) In other words, we target this player, convince him to come to Essendon, tell his club we will offer some compensation during trade week but if they resist, we will simply take the player during the Pre-season Draft. Lets be honest, Carlton did much the same to snare Judd. We need to start discussion now with the player we want and his current club to make sure this happens.

Finally we need to off load the deadwood. Trade BAit needs to be real but superfluous to our needs. Jobe Watson and Brent Stanton are ideal as they are players that can shine in better teams but are not good enough to carry us out of our current malaise. A Jobe Watson would fit in beautifully at a Port Adelaide, Sydney or Western Bulldogs.

We should also be offloading perennial non-achievers such as Johns, Laycock, Lee.

The team can be built around Pears, Myers, Gumbleton, Ryder, Houli, Reimers, Hislop, Daniher, Jetta and Davey. All lads who have shown something or have big wraps on them.

Winderlisch, Welsh, NLM, Lovett, Monfries, Dyson are all tradeable.

The rest have another season to prove themselves.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Re: Time to Start Talking Trades/Delistings/Draft Picks

Post by jimmyc1985 »

I hear Kerr is a chance to be offered up by West Coast. Johns for Kerr seems almost fair, although i'd probably want a sweetener from West Coast as well - if they threw in Cox, the deal would be win-win for both teams...

On a more serious note, none of the players you've mentioned as trade bait would get a first round pick. Stanton might be an early 2nd rounder. Lovett might've been a first rounder 2-3 years ago, but well-publicised personal issues, discipline issues with regard to training and highly sporadic on-field performances that have since manifested themselves means we'd be doing well to get a pick higher than about 25 for him. Welsh might be a late 2nd rounder or early 3rd rounder, same applies to Winderlich; Monfries and Laycock might be 3rd rounders, NLM and Dyson might be late 3rd rounders. You wouldn't get a can of Home Brand ginger beer for Johns or Lee. Watson wouldn't attract any reasonable offers relative to what he offers us and i'd much prefer we persisted with him.

We get a priority pick at the start of the second round, i.e. pick 17-18, if we win less than 4.5 games, which is a possibility. However i've got a feeling that when Lucas comes back we'll improve enough to win another 3 games for the season and miss out on the priority pick.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

I feel like we were just having this discussion not long ago.

Its too early to start it again. Call me old-fashioned, but I'd like to concentrate on the actual football for the majority of the winter.
Bishop Muzorewa
Top Up Player

Post by Bishop Muzorewa »

Excellent post Windy Hill

I have been saying for about 2 years that McPhee would make great trade bait...let's face it he has just not recaptured the form he showed in the first year of being at EFC. Personally I think he has been given enough chances but just seems to lack the decision making prowess to take him to the next level. IMO no amount of fitness work/drilling/match practise will help him acheive it. He just doesn't have it.

Problem is I fear that other clubs are probably wised up to this now and reckon his trade value is all but gone...I think it is highly lamentable that we didn;t put him up on the table 2 years ago. I fear we have missed our chance.

Stanton is similar. I believe he will never make it as an elite midfielder. Taht is my opinion. But in a stronger team he might be able to fit in somewhere and as such may have some value. We should be looking to offload him; however, I fear he may alreasdy have signed??? Can someone inform me.

Delist Welsh, Dyson, Monfries, Laycock, Johns, Winderlich (none of them are up to it)

NLM and Andy Lovett NEEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDD to be told that 2009 is make-or-break for them! Simply as that/. Neither are spring chickens and apart from glimpses of brilliance they are pretty disappointing.

Btw.......where have Filthy and Gatsid gone?
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

We will be getting pick 1 and 2 IMO, as well as the best uncontracted played in the PSD. That will give us a chance to snag an expirienced mid-fielder of reasonable quality wihtout having to give anyone anything. I would keep Lloyd, Lucas, and Fletcher. The three of them dont offer any value in a trade, and are stalwarts/legends of the club. The other easy players to keep are Hille, McVeigh, Davey. All three of these guys are above average AFL footballers. The longer term players to keep are Myers, Ryder, Gumbleton, Nash, Dempsey, Houli. The project players needed to be kept are Pears, Neagle, Daniher, Hislop, Reimers, and Hocking. I would also think that Watson, and Stanton are two players we need to hold on to. Neither of them are spectacular, but would be very good 5th, and 6th rotation players in a good mid-field. EVERYONE else needs to be assesed for trade or delisting.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

robbie67 wrote:We will be getting pick 1 and 2 IMO, as well as the best uncontracted played in the PSD.
So you're locking us in for the spoon? Fair enough, but remember that the AFL changed the priority pick rules so that even if we do finish last with less than 4.5 wins, our resulting priority pick only comes at the start of the second round, i.e. pick 17-18 (like Jetta in 2006), rather than at the start of the first round (i.e. pick #1).
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

jimmyc1985 wrote:
robbie67 wrote:We will be getting pick 1 and 2 IMO, as well as the best uncontracted played in the PSD.
So you're locking us in for the spoon? Fair enough, but remember that the AFL changed the priority pick rules so that even if we do finish last with less than 4.5 wins, our resulting priority pick only comes at the start of the second round, i.e. pick 17-18 (like Jetta in 2006), rather than at the start of the first round (i.e. pick #1).
And don't we have to have two shit years in a row in order to get the priority pick?
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

swoodley wrote:
jimmyc1985 wrote:
And don't we have to have two shit years in a row in order to get the priority pick?
Nah. If you have one rubbish year and win less than 4.5 games, you get a priority pick at the start of the second round. If you have two consecutively rubbish years of less than 4.5 wins , that priority pick gets upgraded to being at the start of the first round.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

jimmyc1985 wrote:
F*ck. I forgot about that. Of course. Now we need it, and Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond etc have used it, it is no longer there. Fair enough though, I was one screaming for it to be moved to the bottom of the first round.

I'm not locking the spoon in. It's just where I think we will end up. Melbourne are the only other contender, and they have a few more mature bodies than we do, which shold help them pick a couple more wins.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

You have to offer decent players to get decent players.

That is all I am saying on the matter from now until Round 22.

There are 13 weeks of footy left to enjoy this year. :D
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

robbie67 wrote: I would keep Lloyd, Lucas, and Fletcher. The three of them dont offer any value in a trade, and are stalwarts/legends of the club. The other easy players to keep are Hille, McVeigh, Davey. All three of these guys are above average AFL footballers. The longer term players to keep are Myers, Ryder, Gumbleton, Nash, Dempsey, Houli. The project players needed to be kept are Pears, Neagle, Daniher, Hislop, Reimers, and Hocking. I would also think that Watson, and Stanton are two players we need to hold on to. Neither of them are spectacular, but would be very good 5th, and 6th rotation players in a good mid-field. EVERYONE else needs to be assesed for trade or delisting.
Wholeheartedly agree!
Essendunny
hillchaser
High Draft Pick

Post by hillchaser »

I agree windy ... I've been saying for a long time that Winderlich, Dyson, Laycock, Lovett, and Laycock aren't up to it ... Everytime I mentioned this I would shouted down by all the dreamers who claim that these guys have potential ....

Unfortunately in modern footballl you have to apply some defensive pressure and none of these guys have ever been able to do this. I would also lump Stanton in with this. He's great on a winning team but once again has no defensive presence whatsoever.

an occasional glimpse of talent is certainly not enough to win games and for consistent football.

Don't get me started on Laycock ... this guy is NOT a footballer. Even Andrew Lovett would be able to beat him in the ruck..let alone mixing it with the other ruckman in the league.

Then there's Courtney Johns..Ah Hum ... aren't footballers meant to be able change directions ?

I disagree with your call on NLM .. I think he is very valuable but is playing with a crook groin at the moment and looks a lot worse than he really is.

Before eveyone gets excited about getting off the bandwagon early in the season . I've been going about this for the last 18 months.
2QIK4U
On the Rookie List

Post by 2QIK4U »

Retire - Johnson, Peverill and Michael
Delist - Lee and Johns

I think the four mentioned (not including Mal) are straightforward. My view on Mal is that we need to start grooming replacements in the backline and I cant see that happening with him there. At least with Fletch we have someone that can teach. Need to make a decision on Daniher - is he a backman or a forward?

Main problem with trading is that we don't have a player that commands a first round draft pick other than say a Lucas or a Lloyd - I can't see that happening, but it is the only way that I can see getting another highish first round pick.
"..computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. "

Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc. 1989
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

Watson is untouchable, for mine.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

2QIK4U wrote:Retire - Johnson, Peverill and Michael
Delist - Lee and Johns

I think the four mentioned (not including Mal) are straightforward. My view on Mal is that we need to start grooming replacements in the backline and I cant see that happening with him there. At least with Fletch we have someone that can teach. Need to make a decision on Daniher - is he a backman or a forward?

Main problem with trading is that we don't have a player that commands a first round draft pick other than say a Lucas or a Lloyd - I can't see that happening, but it is the only way that I can see getting another highish first round pick.

Offer Winderlich, Stanton and Laycock to a bottom 4 club and I reckon you will get their first round pick.

We lose a fringe midfielder, a useless ruckman and a an ok ball getter. Great deal for us if that snares a top 10 pick - just dont tell the other club
Gatsid
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gatsid »

Agree with most of what has been said in here, but I don't agree with Winderlich, I still link he can be a decent wingman if actually played on the Wing and not as a BP/HBF. Surely his gut bust running his showed last year pushing deep into defence and then being free up the wing again delivering into the 50 is worth allowing him to play this role of the wing for the rest of the season before we make our mind up on him. Laycock I think we may be able to get something for, nothing major, but I think there would be a couple clubs out there who think they have the ability to unlock his true ability (good luck to them). I also think Welsh has some value to the team if kept in Back Pocket to play the style of game he played under Sheedy (early in his career) a purely negative role, there has been to much of him pushing up the ground and trying to make him a player he is not, it's like they are trying to transform him the same way McVeigh has, it's not going to nor will it ever work.

Players I want at the club next year(in no particular order): Lloyd, Lucas, Gumbleton, Neagle, Ryder, Reimers, Watson, McVeigh, Hille, Hislop, Hocking, Jetta, Myers, Davey, Houli, Dempsey, Lonergan, Pears, Bellchambers, Nash, Fletcher, Daniher.

Thats 22 I definitely want around next year.

Winderlich, Welsh, Stanton, Dyson, Slattery, Lovett, Monfries I'm willing to see how they go the rest of this season before making final judgment however that said if the right trade is there for any of them I'm willing to take it. So that make 29 with 11 spots left over.

The guys I want gone comes the years end: Laycock, McPhee, NLM, Michael, JJ, Pev, Lee, Johns

Then there are the ones I don't know enough about to make judgment: Hooker, Williams, Attkinson, Magin who I would probably lean towards keeping. A couple are on the rookie list though so they don't count really.

Team List:
Lloyd, Lucas, Gumbleton, Neagle, Ryder, Reimers, Watson, McVeigh, Hille, Hislop, Hocking, Jetta, Myers, Davey, Houli, Dempsey, Lonergan, Pears, Bellchambers, Nash, Fletcher, Daniher, 1st round pick, 2nd round pick, 3rd round pick, 4th round pick, 5th round pick(if worth it), PSD first round, Winderlich/trade, Welsh/trade, Stanton/trade, Dyson/trade, Slattery/trade, Lovett/trade, Monfries/trade, Hooker, Attkinson(promoted), Magin(promoted if nothing else available looked alright preseason).

That will leave a couple spots left over with 6 new players and the potential for 15 new players.

2009 Team based on that list:

FB: (Pick#1) Fletcher Attkinson
HB: Nash Ryder Myers
MF: Dempsey McVeigh (Pick#2)
HF: Davey Lucas Reimers
FF: Gumbleton/Neagle Lloyd Jetta
R: Hille Houli Watson
Int from: Bellchambers, Hocking, Lonergan, Hislop, (Pick#3), (Pick#4), (Pick#5), (PSD), Pears, Daniher, Hooker, plus who ever we keep/what we get for trading

Bishop I'm still here mate thanks for thinking about me :wink: :D
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

Another thing, who said this draft coming up is actually any good?

Its not even the half way point of the season.

lets hope for a few wins eh?!
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

Gatsid wrote:
2009 Team based on that list:

FB: (Pick#1) Fletcher Attkinson
HB: Nash Ryder Myers
MF: Dempsey McVeigh (Pick#2)
HF: Davey Lucas Reimers
FF: Gumbleton/Neagle Lloyd Jetta
R: Hille Houli Watson
Int from: Bellchambers, Hocking, Lonergan, Hislop, (Pick#3), (Pick#4), (Pick#5), (PSD), Pears, Daniher, Hooker, plus who ever we keep/what we get for trading

Bishop I'm still here mate thanks for thinking about me :wink: :D
That team would/could get absolutely SMASHED next year.

you don't have 5+ 1st year players running around in your team all year if you can avoid it...unless they are REALLY GOOD.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

tom9779 wrote:Another thing, who said this draft coming up is actually any good?

Its not even the half way point of the season.

lets hope for a few wins eh?!

For the sake of this club's future, lets hope not
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Johns for Kerr. Yeah, that'd work! :wink: :D