Best match up for Burton

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Bomber_Fan
On the Rookie List

Best match up for Burton

Post by Bomber_Fan »

Tried Welsh and Slattery. I thought both got towelled up although Slattery did much better. Especially near the end when he started winning the one on one contests. He seems to pose a match up problem for us every year - who would be the best player in our team to line up against him. Personally I'm surprised Ryder wasn't tried on him.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: Best match up for Burton

Post by BenDoolan »

We seriously need some back pocket plumbers. Need a couple in the mould of Bomber Thompson, Hardwick, Mark Johnson.

Ryder doesn't look quite right at the moment. He's not moving with the same fluency or confidence that he showed in the first 7 weeks. No matter who we put on Burton tonight, they were going to have their work cut out with his leap, strong hands and mobility. I thought both Welsh and Slattery battled hard, but were predictably beaten.
Essendunny
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

The Crows next couple of opponents shouldn't need to worry about matching up on Burton as I dare say his head high hit on Slattery will get some close attention from the powers that be and he should be getting a couple of weeks off.
Royza
Club Captain

Post by Royza »

Ryder would be the best match up for Burton. But having Ryder follow Burton around would limit Ryder's impact floating around the backline cutting off the long kicks.
Burton would beat most players. At least we forced him to go outside 50 on many ocassions.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

bombercol wrote:The Crows next couple of opponents shouldn't need to worry about matching up on Burton as I dare say his head high hit on Slattery will get some close attention from the powers that be and he should be getting a couple of weeks off.
Which unsurprisingly was not even a free kick :roll: