Shepherding/blocking

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Bomber_Fan
On the Rookie List

Shepherding/blocking

Post by Bomber_Fan »

Could somebody please explain to me why no-one on our team seems to perform this simple but important task? Straight to mind comes an occasion where Pears was caught holding the ball inside 50 because two of our players refused to shepherd or block the Adelaide's players run at Pears. Justifiably, Pears thought he was clear of this player. This has happened a fair few times this year and has been very disappointing facet of our game.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: Shepherding/blocking

Post by BenDoolan »

Bomber_Fan wrote:Could somebody please explain to me why no-one on our team seems to perform this simple but important task? Straight to mind comes an occasion where Pears was caught holding the ball inside 50 because two of our players refused to shepherd or block the Adelaide's players run at Pears. Justifiably, Pears thought he was clear of this player. This has happened a fair few times this year and has been very disappointing facet of our game.
He was simply too slow to get rid of it. Other players around him went to provide a running option beside him, but they were covered. But yes, we lack in that area of the game, especially around stoppages.
Essendunny
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

Pears was unlucky - Jetta should have done the job - but didn't. Again. Worried about this kid.
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

Spot on 'T'

Jetta is just too small - not a quick as others - skills are average ATM. I can't see where he fits into our best 22.

Still - my biggest headache is being generated by Paddy Ryder. I don't know where this kid is at and we need him to play well if we are to be any chance of winning games this year.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

hop wrote:Spot on 'T'

Jetta is just too small - not a quick as others - skills are average ATM. I can't see where he fits into our best 22.

Still - my biggest headache is being generated by Paddy Ryder. I don't know where this kid is at and we need him to play well if we are to be any chance of winning games this year.
Not as small as Alwyn Davey. The difference is Jetta didn't impose himself. Pears wasn't too slwo to get rid of it, he shouldn't have been that hot in the first place. Jetta should have laid a heavy bump on Douglas, instead he barely brushed past him as Douglas ran Pears down in his kicking motion. We seem to be lacking the basics (which we've been saying for weeks on end... maybe years now) although last night was a significant improvement on recent weeks.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant