Mcphee, Monfries

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Mcphee, Monfries

Post by andrewb »

Great to see some of the perennial whipping boys around here get great games under their belts.

McPhee was superb and has shown us what he's capable of with a 3rd best defender.

Gus did everything that he has been doing for the last three weeks but improved his disposal dramatically - confidence is a funny thing.

I'm looking forward to seeing how our forward line operates when we've got left and right footed lead-up half forwards (McPhee, Lucas) and left and right footed stay at home forwards (Lloyd, Neagle).

Adelaide were far better tactically and structurally last night (we couldn't beat their zone for love or money) but we smashed them in the middle of the ground - great signs from a young midfield.
KaaN10
Regular Senior Player

Re: Mcphee, Monfries

Post by KaaN10 »

Really impressed with McPhee's game.
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

They were both terrific last night.

It's amazing what a changed structure and a bit of confidence can do.

Now if we can only get Neagle and Gumby (remember him?) on the paddock semi-regularly, then we will have enough talls to provide real options going forward.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Ironic that arguably Monfries' best game for the season thus far came when he got his second lowest possession count for the year. McPhee was very important last night especially as Lloyd or Lucas were never in the game, and i thought he was our best.

I thought we were OK against Adelaide's zone last night, at least coming out of defence. We were able to string a few uncontested possessions together after a kick-out following a behind quite a few times last night, and Fletcher's kicking out was good in this regard. We looked very hesitant though when we got the ball at about half back and hesitated because there wasn't much going on at CHF, and Adelaide probably got time to put a few players back.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Thought Monfries did a very good job keeping McLeod relatively quiet. Still like him in the forward line. Looks at his best when he's providing an option. He can play taller than he is and has a strong body in those contests, whereas he doesn't appear to be all that strong in the middle.

McPhee was a standout across half forward for us. With Lucas being back in the side, it meant Bassett went to McPhee and McPhee was able to exploit that battle a lot of the time, taking a game high 12 marks. Had his kicking boots on too, which was good to see.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

I'd like to see Gus used as a rotation in the middle. Start up forward but go into the middle for a few minutes a quarter, freshen up some of the other midfielders such as Watson, McVeigh etc.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

I was rapt to see the returns from our much maligned players, esp. McPhee and Gus. Given that our key forwards produced one goal betweem them, the effort speaks volumes for the guys further up the ground.

An once of the luck we enjoyed last year with th close ones and we would have pinched this one, although I am feeling much better that after the last few debacles.

I recall Myers giving the ball a huge thump off one step in a NAB cup game which caught my eye. This kid already looks like a footballer and has the frame already well developed. I reckon we will get some great value from him over the years.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Monfries is far better suited to a negative role than on offensive one. I still thought McLeod had the better of him up until half time, but he certainly won the battle after it. It's easily his best game in ages. But it's only one game. Needs to be more consistent, and hopefully it starts as of last night.

McPhee was resfreshlingly good. He hasn't been all that bad all year, but not that great either. He is leading the "marks" at the club this season, but his unusual habit of taking too long to move the ball on, can be frustrating. Had a really good game last night. The most effective forward.
Essendunny
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

I agree with everything you said BD. I actually thought Monfries was quite good after 1/2 time last week and he continued on that form into the Adelaide game.

McPhee was excellent. My only complaint is that its better he doesnt think too much about what to do with it. Its like he's trying to remember where he should put it not what the best option is. He's a player that needs to play instinctively.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Both played important roles last night and should take additional confidence into next week.

I thought Gus played an excellent game from start to finish. McLeod was not a very damaging player at all for most of the night.

McPhee clearly benefited from being the third tall and having Bassett on him rather than Ruttan or Bock.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Both very good again. McPhee's first quarter was sensational and Monfries provided a spark all game. Loved that little play on the half forward flank where he arched the back and ran around two defenders.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

andrewb wrote:Both very good again. McPhee's first quarter was sensational and Monfries provided a spark all game. Loved that little play on the half forward flank where he arched the back and ran around two defenders.
Neither of these blokes could hold a candle to Kepler though ay Andrew? [-X
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Monfries was supurb on Friday, Eyes only for the ball.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Groan. Monfries back to his old tricks with those f****** faggot chip/stab kicks. Exactly the same shit where he turned the ball over three hundred times against Sydney four or five weeks ago.

Stop this faggot chip kick rubbish.
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

Gus earned his pay today and so did McPhee.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

I was impressed with McPhee today when he was forced to go down back following the injury to Fletcher.
Ran hard, threw himself at contests and didn't have too many brain explosions.
The Fly
High Draft Pick

Post by The Fly »

I thought they both did prett well. Especially Gus. Provided a good target up around the wing area.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Both kept presenting all day long. It was great being at the game and being able to see all the off the ball stuff that doesn't get shown on the TV. McPhee ran his guts out today and several Freo supporters near me said that they wished they had never traded him.

Gus also played his heart out and wracked up the K's throughout the game.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

jimmyc1985 wrote:Groan. Monfries back to his old tricks with those f****** faggot chip/stab kicks. Exactly the same shit where he turned the ball over three hundred times against Sydney four or five weeks ago.

Stop this faggot chip kick rubbish.
I'l put this down to posting while waching the game, its very frustrating I know. Thought Gus was great today, but yes, a couple of his kicks were too cute.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

McPhee's form has been outstanding in the past month. Since Lucas has been back, McPhee has grown wings. He is striding in full flight, taking solid marks, presenting himself everywhere and contributing goals and setting them up. He is moving freely and confidently, and seems relieved to be free from the expectation to perform as a KPP. He has always been best suited as an attacking flanker / utility type player. IMO, he's playing like he did in 2004. And at 26, he is vital to our list.

As for Monfries, he's had one outstanding game and the rest have been average to poor. Kicking efficiency at 55% is very ordinary and must improve. His game against Carlton was superb. Just needs to extract more of those efforts during a season and become more consistent instead of a flash in the pan. But overall, he has been on the gradual improve this season.
Essendunny