AFL Fails to Create an Equal Compeition

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

AFL Fails to Create an Equal Compeition

Post by Windy_Hill »

This quote is taken from an article by Richard Hinds of The Age

"Again, the AFL's weapons of mass mediocrity - the draft and salary cap - are failing to produce the promised egalitarian utopia - the edge-of-your-seat competition in which every team is within equal distance of a premiership flag and a wooden spoon. Instead, as the season wears on, the vast gap between the ability and motivation of the contenders and pretenders is reflected in the growing margins."

Gotta agree! There needs to be some element of free agent trading, mid-year drafts, draft concessions etc that allow clubs to stock up on player talent outside of the normal processes. The problem is that the current system rewards underavchievers and poorly managed clubs. Have a look at the hand outs that have been dished out to perennial losers St Kilda, North Melbourne, Western Bulldogs and Melbourne over the years yet the Bombers, who have built a strong financial base, get nothing!!!

Clubs recording profit 2 years in row should be entitled to additional players on their lists!!

I just feel that the current system simply facilitates delieberate tanking as son as a team feels it has no realistic chance of a finals place.
tom9779
Club Captain

Re: AFL Fails to Create an Equal Compeition

Post by tom9779 »

Windy_Hill wrote:This quote is taken from an article by Richard Hinds of The Age

"Again, the AFL's weapons of mass mediocrity - the draft and salary cap - are failing to produce the promised egalitarian utopia - the edge-of-your-seat competition in which every team is within equal distance of a premiership flag and a wooden spoon. Instead, as the season wears on, the vast gap between the ability and motivation of the contenders and pretenders is reflected in the growing margins."

Gotta agree! There needs to be some element of free agent trading, mid-year drafts, draft concessions etc that allow clubs to stock up on player talent outside of the normal processes. The problem is that the current system rewards underavchievers and poorly managed clubs. Have a look at the hand outs that have been dished out to perennial losers St Kilda, North Melbourne, Western Bulldogs and Melbourne over the years yet the Bombers, who have built a strong financial base, get nothing!!!

Clubs recording profit 2 years in row should be entitled to additional players on their lists!!

I just feel that the current system simply facilitates delieberate tanking as son as a team feels it has no realistic chance of a finals place.
I really don't think there is anything wrong with the current system,and he is spinning a bit of crap.

In the past 20 years, 13 different teams have played off in a grand final:
Carlton,Melbourne, Hawthorn, St Kilda, Collingwood, West Coast, Essendon, North, Adelaide, Kangaroos,Brisbane,Sydney, Geelong

That leaves only 3 teams who haven't tasted the last saturday in september.
Bulldogs, Richmond and Fremantle

As for essendon receiving special treatment? I don't think we should. And the special treatment handed out to struggling clubs, is simply enough money to operate. Maybe the clubs that are struggling are due to poor management, or it could because they come from a low socio economic base. And (IMO) it is these areas which need footy the most.

What is more controversial is the handouts given to Sydney/Brisbane. I personally think do not think that the Swans no longer need extra salary cap and Brisbanes was a complete rort.(two clubs lists to plunder(bears and fitzroy, + 20% more money + the best coach in the land))

but thats just my opinion.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

In the past 20 years, 13 different teams have played off in a grand final

and in the last 10 years - every side has played in a preliminary final.

I reckon the draft and salary cap is giving everyone a crack at the cup at some point or another. I guess his main concern in within a single season - if you cant win - you start preparing for perhaps when you can. i have a real problem with this - because I assume that elite competitive sport should be exactly that - week in, week out.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

tonysoprano wrote:In the past 20 years, 13 different teams have played off in a grand final

I reckon the draft and salary cap is giving everyone a crack at the cup at some point or another. I guess his main concern in within a single season - if you cant win - you start preparing for perhaps when you can. i have a real problem with this - because I assume that elite competitive sport should be exactly that - week in, week out.
I dunno, I think by about June, the better teams and the worse teams do just become apparent. I mean if you get struck down with a string of injuries, you do not just bounce back to full strength when good on paper. or for example Last few years Carlton have been crap, you might think tank, but that is probably a cop out, i think they just were no good.

With a final 8, generally you have 12 teams vying for a spot up to pretty damn late in the season.

that leaves only 4 which don't really have finals to play for.

12 from 16 teams, or on average 6 out of 8 games where there is genuine reason to play hard to grab or consolidate a finals spot is pretty damn good.

My only suggestion would be that the bottom 4 get treated the same.(ie all 4 get say 2 first round picks).

then the first round is done on a lottery.

eg this year if ladder stays the same:
melb, freo, wc and essendon get two tickets each.
the other 12 get a ticket each.

a ballot is then taken for the top 20 draft picks.(see 20 tickets given out from the above).

then picks 21 onwards are just given in according to ladder finishing order.

This means any team in the comp could potentially snag the #1 pick. the bottom 4 teams get a guarantee leg up with an extra first rounder.

the motivations to tank are diluted(still disincentive to not finish 12th just outside of bottom 4...then if you are finishing 12th you are probably only a game or so out of the 8...so you are pulled towards performing anyway).
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

tom9779 wrote:
tonysoprano wrote:In the past 20 years, 13 different teams have played off in a grand final

I dunno, I think by about June, the better teams and the worse teams do just become apparent. I mean if you get struck down with a string of injuries, you do not just bounce back to full strength when good on paper. or for example Last few years Carlton have been crap, you might think tank, but that is probably a cop out, i think they just were no good.

With a final 8, generally you have 12 teams vying for a spot up to pretty damn late in the season.

12 from 16 teams, or on average 6 out of 8 games where there is genuine reason to play hard to grab or consolidate a finals spot is pretty damn good.

My only suggestion would be that the bottom 4 get treated the same.(ie all 4 get say 2 first round picks).

a ballot is then taken for the top 20 draft picks.(see 20 tickets given out from the above).

This means any team in the comp could potentially snag the #1 pick. the bottom 4 teams get a guarantee leg up with an extra first rounder.

the motivations to tank are diluted(still disincentive to not finish 12th just outside of bottom 4...then if you are finishing 12th you are probably only a game or so out of the 8...so you are pulled towards performing anyway).

Superb Ideas
Chris
Top Up Player

Post by Chris »

Windy_Hill wrote:
tom9779 wrote:

Superb Ideas
Agree.

Add in also an idea Wallace suggested in the HUN last year. He suggested prize money for all clubs in the competition depending on ladder position. This gives clubs an immediate financial incentive to want to finish as high on the ladder as possible regardless of whether they can make the finals to recieve the higher cash incentive on offer.
Gatsid
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gatsid »

Chris wrote: Agree.

Add in also an idea Wallace suggested in the HUN last year. He suggested prize money for all clubs in the competition depending on ladder position. This gives clubs an immediate financial incentive to want to finish as high on the ladder as possible regardless of whether they can make the finals to recieve the higher cash incentive on offer.
Just like in the English Premier League, the higher you finish the more money you earn, gives sides incentive to fight the last round of the year for extra money and it keeps the title race interesting eg. Manchester United vs Wigan and Chelsea vs Bolton.