Pev Must Not Play Again

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
2QIK4U
On the Rookie List

Pev Must Not Play Again

Post by 2QIK4U »

It is hard for me to say this because he has been a loyal servant of the club but, Pev cannot play for Essendon anymore if we are to move forward. He did a couple of nice things today and was strong in the packs, but his skill errors nearly cost us the game. The perfect example was the simple dropped mark and then over running the ball to give that cnt Tarrant a goal to put them within 4 points. He put the other guys under the pump time and time again with stupid handballs that sold them them into trouble. Time to say goodbye mate.
"..computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. "

Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc. 1989
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Re: Pev Must Not Play Again

Post by Boyler_Room »

A couple of his errors directly resulted in goals in that last quarter. I'm thinking he and JJ will get one more game this year... their farewell game.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Agreed as I said in the match thread this HAS to be the last time we will see him playing AFL!!!

He really did remind me of the Sheedy years the way he played today... Slow plodding unskilled midfielder
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

If we get a run of injuries, i wouldn't be too worried about having him in the team every now and again. He only came in today as an emergency, and although he made some clangers (especially that dropped mark and subsequent goal to Tarrant), his defensive efforts were solid.

It's clear that he's not part of the team from a long-term perspective and it's 99% likely that he'll go at the end of the year, so if he plays the odd game here and there, so be it.
KaaN10
Regular Senior Player

Post by KaaN10 »

Gone at seasons end: Pev, Johnson

Dyson, Johns, Micheal still have a chance to prove themselves, but it's not looking good for them either.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

jimmyc1985 wrote:If we get a run of injuries, i wouldn't be too worried about having him in the team every now and again. He only came in today as an emergency, and although he made some clangers (especially that dropped mark and subsequent goal to Tarrant), his defensive efforts were solid.

It's clear that he's not part of the team from a long-term perspective and it's 99% likely that he'll go at the end of the year, so if he plays the odd game here and there, so be it.
Stop being so reasonable and balanced. He needs to be sacked. TO-DAY. And we should probably cut off one of his legs and kill a few members of his family for good measure.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Well Hislop played in the twos today and Hocking is due in next week. We still have Houli to come in and Slattery as our midfield type players (im writing Dempsey and Widnerlich off for this season). Pev will play one more game this year, late in the year as his farewell game. Hopefully his last game is our second last home game, and JJ can get our last home game. We simply can not have those two in the same team together, regardless of our ladder position.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
The Fly
High Draft Pick

Post by The Fly »

I think they're deserving of a send-off in front of their home crowd. Especially Johnno.

Could be a tough decision for Knighta if we're a chance for a finals birth come round 21 or 22. Not that we will be of course...
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

How did Palmer go after half time?

Gee wizz, I can't believe the crap he's copping after a good game. What do you all want from Peverill? Immaculate skills?? Well you aint gonna get it. What you will get is a fiercely determined bloke who wants nothing but to beat his opponent and help his team win. He may not be in our best 22, but by f*** he will bust his guts and bleed for this club when he gets an opportunity. FFS, give him a pat on the back for his efforts instead of hanging the bloke for a couple of clangers.
Essendunny
ace076
Regular Senior Player

Post by ace076 »

spot on Benny, thought he was FAR from our worst.
GLORY GLORY MAN UNITED

Founding Captain of the Bombertalk Blacks.
2QIK4U
On the Rookie List

Post by 2QIK4U »

BenDoolan wrote:How did Palmer go after half time?

Gee wizz, I can't believe the crap he's copping after a good game. What do you all want from Peverill? Immaculate skills?? Well you aint gonna get it. What you will get is a fiercely determined bloke who wants nothing but to beat his opponent and help his team win. He may not be in our best 22, but by f*** he will bust his guts and bleed for this club when he gets an opportunity. FFS, give him a pat on the back for his efforts instead of hanging the bloke for a couple of clangers.
I wasn't questioning his endeavour nor commitment to Essendon. The main point I was making is that to move forward he can't play in the firsts - his place must be taken by a kid, i.e. Houli, Hocking or Hislop. You said so yourself he is not in our best 22 and would only get a game if one of the previously mentioned was injured.
"..computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. "

Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc. 1989
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

2QIK4U wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:How did Palmer go after half time?

I wasn't questioning his endeavour nor commitment to Essendon. The main point I was making is that to move forward he can't play in the firsts - his place must be taken by a kid, i.e. Houli, Hocking or Hislop. You said so yourself he is not in our best 22 and would only get a game if one of the previously mentioned was injured.
I'm all for kids getting games, but if they're not available (and they're not) then Pev had every reason to be playing against Freo. He made a good account of himself - as he always does. He may well make way for Houli, Hislop, Hocking or whoever else may be available in 2 weeks time, but that doesn't mean he "should never play again" if we simply don't have the form players to chose from. He was rewarded for good form at Bendigo in the past couple of weeks after returning from a broken jaw. I absolutely respect this bloke.
Essendunny
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

I just watched the game again, and I dont know what the f*** some of you are on about. He had a pretty good game. Especially after being out of the team for so long, and playing on the ground that probably least suits him in the league, it was a very good effort.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

robbie67 wrote:I just watched the game again, and I dont know what the f*** some of you are on about. He had a pretty good game. Especially after being out of the team for so long, and playing on the ground that probably least suits him in the league, it was a very good effort.

yeah same, i had him just under watson and mcveigh in terms of our onballers.

thought pev had one of his best games of the year.

he is one of those guys, you can't write him off....just when he looks like he is past it, he pulls out a gem.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

tom9779 wrote:
robbie67 wrote:I just watched the game again, and I dont know what the f*** some of you are on about. He had a pretty good game. Especially after being out of the team for so long, and playing on the ground that probably least suits him in the league, it was a very good effort.

yeah same, i had him just under watson and mcveigh in terms of our onballers.

thought pev had one of his best games of the year.

he is one of those guys, you can't write him off....just when he looks like he is past it, he pulls out a gem.
Nine possies in the 3rd quarter. I thought he made a major contribution
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
Chris
Top Up Player

Post by Chris »

BenDoolan wrote: I'm all for kids getting games, but if they're not available (and they're not) then Pev had every reason to be playing against Freo. He made a good account of himself - as he always does. He may well make way for Houli, Hislop, Hocking or whoever else may be available in 2 weeks time, but that doesn't mean he "should never play again" if we simply don't have the form players to chose from. He was rewarded for good form at Bendigo in the past couple of weeks after returning from a broken jaw. I absolutely respect this bloke.
Exactly, I kicked up a storm when it was said JJ and Pev have no prospect of senior football and his performance substantiated by oppinion. He was good, very good and an example to players like chook and dyson of commitment and effort. The guy has never been blessed with the athletic ability required for midfielders today, but on heart alone is a very good player deserving of senior games in the right structure. Put simply, you can have a slow guy or two as long as you have plenty of run around them, and we now have plenty of run so one of Pev and JJ should be in our team when fit. I mean, we are relying to heavily on Watson to get the ball out, and these guys can give him assistance in the packs.

IMO Dyson should be dropped before Pev, no point having pace if you never get the ball.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

Chris wrote:
BenDoolan wrote: I'm all for kids getting games, but if they're not available (and they're not) then Pev had every reason to be playing against Freo. He made a good account of himself - as he always does. He may well make way for Houli, Hislop, Hocking or whoever else may be available in 2 weeks time, but that doesn't mean he "should never play again" if we simply don't have the form players to chose from. He was rewarded for good form at Bendigo in the past couple of weeks after returning from a broken jaw. I absolutely respect this bloke.
Exactly, I kicked up a storm when it was said JJ and Pev have no prospect of senior football and his performance substantiated by oppinion. He was good, very good and an example to players like chook and dyson of commitment and effort. The guy has never been blessed with the athletic ability required for midfielders today, but on heart alone is a very good player deserving of senior games in the right structure. Put simply, you can have a slow guy or two as long as you have plenty of run around them, and we now have plenty of run so one of Pev and JJ should be in our team when fit. I mean, we are relying to heavily on Watson to get the ball out, and these guys can give him assistance in the packs.

IMO Dyson should be dropped before Pev, no point having pace if you never get the ball.
Dyson will be gone next week. Even if it is your first game in the senior side, he needed to get his hands on the pill more than he did.
Sirvass36
Top Up Player

Post by Sirvass36 »

In my opinion people like Pev & Johno that dont fit into the long term plans of the club should still be given the opportunity to play if the need arise. I guess as true on ball type players they would now rank behind Watson, McVeigh, Stanton, Lovett, the rimmer, Lonregan & Nash - but I think on a par with the likes of Monfries, Dyson, Hislop etc. So if there is a spot in the side they should be able to play.
They also certainly deserve a send off for the great service they have provided the club and the great memories which they will forever be a part of. Blokes with their level of guts and courage dont grow on trees.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Going back to the incident what this topic was originally about, did anybody else think that it was a poor kick? Admittely NLM was under pressure, but it wasn't as if it was a simple chest mark. The ball was nearly at his feet when he tried to mark it.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Rossoneri wrote:Going back to the incident what this topic was originally about, did anybody else think that it was a poor kick? Admittely NLM was under pressure, but it wasn't as if it was a simple chest mark. The ball was nearly at his feet when he tried to mark it.
He should have taken it... No excuses