Where is our toughness going to come from?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
DC
Regular Senior Player

Where is our toughness going to come from?

Post by DC »

If we trade away Solly, JJ and maybe McPhee?

We is our toughness going to come from with such a young team coming through? Graham Polak? :|
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

if we trade McPhee then we are in bigger trouble then we all think here at Essendon, what a joke, it's bad enough to even get this deep with JJ let alone McPhee

i just hope our toughness and intimidation will come from the scoreboard and hopefully raw pace of our younger players?? arn't we meant to be joining the rest of the teams in this new age of AFL?
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

Solly is not as 'tough' as he used to be. Tends to go for the man and not the ball these days.

I would rather Monfries brand of toughness than Solly's. I think it is also a bit overrated a little nowadays with all of the new rules that prevent rough play. Even wrestling incurs a reasonable fine.
bugman
Champion of Essendon

Post by bugman »

Or equally, where will our free kicks against come from?
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

McPhee wont be going anywhere and I reckon JJ will be staying as well unless we get a top 15 pick for him.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Solly hasn't been tough for the last 2-3 years....merely a cheap shot merchant these days.

There would be no way we would let all three of JJ, Solly and McPhee go...in fact I would be surprised if let two of them go.

But even if we do there are still some hard nuts at the club. We've got MJ and Spike. Hirdy may be a bit glamorous but he's also tough. Natrat has shown this year he's not going to take a backward step when the heat is on. Then we've got young guys like Jobe Watson, Angus Monfries, Sam Lonergan and Ben Jolley who have all given signs that they are going to be tough, hard at it in and under players.

I'm not too concerned because really at the end of trade week I really believe the only one who is no longer going to be here is Solly.
Filthy

Post by Filthy »

Toughness has been umpired and legislated out of the game and along with it the Solly's of the game. The only thing we lose with the loss of Solly is a drop of frees against and clangers.
Koala
Champion of Essendon

Post by Koala »

Slatts the way
uh huh uh huh
I like it
uh huh uh huh
antcl
Top Up Player

Post by antcl »

McVeigh, Lloyd, Slattery, I like the look of Lonnergen.

NatRat is as soft as butter.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

antcl wrote:McVeigh, Lloyd, Slattery, I like the look of Lonnergen.

Tell that to Matthew Carr
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

antcl wrote:
I'm hoping you're being sarcastic, otherwise this is close to the most ill informed comment i've read. How many other players in the AFL (his size or bigger even!) would go toe to toe with BARRY HALL? Not once, not twice, THREE f****** TIMES!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Sismis wrote:
antcl wrote:
I'm hoping you're being sarcastic, otherwise this is close to the most ill informed comment i've read. How many other players in the AFL (his size or bigger even!) would go toe to toe with BARRY HALL? Not once, not twice, THREE f****** TIMES!
Totally agree with you there. I haven't seen NLM take a backward step at all, in fact, he's always on the front foot when it comes to push and shove. And I don't know about you, but my butter is as hard as a f****** rock in my fridge!
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

swoodley wrote:
antcl wrote:McVeigh, Lloyd, Slattery, I like the look of Lonnergen.

Tell that to Matthew Carr
And Josh. The Carr brothers are as soft as butter, Matty boy tried to start a fight and Josh was about 3 steps from coming into it. Watch the replay and I mean really watch Matt didnt go NLM untill he saw that Josh was coming. Then watch Josh's face when NLM clocks his brother one, something along the lines of "Oh shit he actually hit him, I better get the f*** outta here."
topdon
Club Captain

Post by topdon »

CAMPO!!!!!!!
antcl
Top Up Player

Post by antcl »

NLM might stay toe to toe when someone is pushing him around.

Ask him to put his body on the line and you'll have him ducking out of the way, standing off to the side, and generally not doing anything that would actually risk his body.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

antcl wrote:NLM might stay toe to toe when someone is pushing him around.

Ask him to put his body on the line and you'll have him ducking out of the way, standing off to the side, and generally not doing anything that would actually risk his body.
I've seen him commit himself to many contests, and get in and under when required. Can you give an example when he hasn't? I'm not being smart, it's just that I may have missed something because I haven't seen anything to give me the impression that you're painting....
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

BenDoolan wrote:

I've seen him commit himself to many contests, and get in and under when required. Can you give an example when he hasn't? I'm not being smart, it's just that I may have missed something because I haven't seen anything to give me the impression that you're painting....
I think its time to send our toughest son of a bitch ever to play the game back to the club to give them so words of advice. Benny mate make the call.
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

Joel Reynolds will still be number one enforcer.
antcl
Top Up Player

Post by antcl »

BenDoolan wrote:

I honestly can't "quote a match". But there have been a number of times when he's going back with the flight of the ball, when he slows down and scrunches rather than reaching back with his hand up. (And a couple of the commentators have remarked on this as well).

There have been many occassions when he's 'sat off' the pack, when its clear going in would be the best option.

And there have been times when he and an opponent are going for a loose ball and rather than going in first, he'll peel off and try and tackle the guy just after he's got the ball.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

antcl wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:

I honestly can't "quote a match". But there have been a number of times when he's going back with the flight of the ball, when he slows down and scrunches rather than reaching back with his hand up. (And a couple of the commentators have remarked on this as well).

There have been many occassions when he's 'sat off' the pack, when its clear going in would be the best option.

And there have been times when he and an opponent are going for a loose ball and rather than going in first, he'll peel off and try and tackle the guy just after he's got the ball.
Yes, I recall that moment when he was "backing back" and ducked the head. That didn't look very good at all, but I don't hold it against him to the point where I think he shirks an issue. The main reason is because he has shown on occasions where he does put his body in and under. Oh well, we have different views, it's not the end of the world (unless Kim Jong-il has something to say about it).