Sammy Lonergan - Making Up For Lost Time

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Sammy Lonergan - Making Up For Lost Time

Post by BenDoolan »

Love reading stories about blokes like him. He has provided plenty of grunt to our midfield, and his willingness to crash into contests is certainly courageous. He may not get a lot of disposals himself, but others around him can thank him for theirs IMO.
Bomber Sam Lonergan makes up for lost time - the hard way
Sam Edmund | July 12, 2008 12:00am

SAM Lonergan had that awful sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach. The Essendon midfielder was sprinting across Telstra Dome and away from Western Bulldog Lindsay Gilbee in Round 4 when his football career flashed before him.

Lonergan tore his right hamstring. Badly.

Injuries and form had restricted the 21-year-old Tasmanian to one senior game in the previous two years at Windy Hill and he limped to the interchange bench not knowing if he would return.

Combined with the fact he was not drafted by the Bombers until pick 50 in the 2005 national draft and the panic button was within reach.

"When it first happened and I realised it was a hammy, the disappointment hit me straight away," Lonergan said.

"But the worst part was walking down the race realising I was gone for at least three to four weeks.

"Mentally, coming back from the other injuries last year and having played three consistent games and finally starting to find my feet, knowing you're going to miss another four weeks was tough."

Lonergan knew 2008 would determine the course of his life. Offered a one-year contract extension during summer, it was the ultimate make-or-break season.

So when his hamstring tore for the first time, Lonergan was at his lowest ebb. It would be several days until the physical pain subsided, but the mental path back to full confidence started almost instantly.

"After the initial five to 10-minute period and then sitting back down on the boundary line, I sort of forgot about it and got caught up in the game again and did as much as I could to help the boys," said Lonergan of the loss to the Bulldogs.

Coach Matthew Knights, himself only a few games into his AFL coaching career, calmed the youngster's nerves when all appeared lost.

"It's amazing the amount of people the club employs to really zone-in on those areas and help you through it," Lonergan said.

"But at the end of the day, the most promising thing is talking to the head coach, and as long as he's positive, like Matthew was, it sets you in the right direction.

"It's the feedback and the positive voice, that important voice that looks over your career and guides you through it, and he did that remarkably well when I was going through that four-week period."

Surrounded by Knights' positive energy, and the belief born from the first three rounds that he could cut it at the highest level, it was only a matter of time before Lonergan returned to the side.

"You have an understanding of your own ability and whether you can play at that level," he said.

"The most important thing for me in those first three rounds was knowing I could play AFL and that I had the intensity to do so over a longer period of time.

"With any injury you start to pull your hair out at times, but everyone goes through them and it makes your journey that much more exciting. You enjoy what you've actually done and the hard work you've done to get there."

Lonergan returned from the hamstring injury against Sydney at Telstra Stadium in Round 8 and has not looked back, playing every game since.

Fourteen rounds into the 2008 season, the kid who could manage only one game in two years has played 11 this year and is contributing.

Lonergan's 44 tackles rank equal first at Essendon. Not bad considering the joint leader, midfielder Brent Stanton, has played three more matches.

"I'm pretty happy at this stage. I've developed a lot this year ... so I'm pretty happy, but there's still a long way to go," Lonergan said.

"Getting the one-year contract, it was my make-or-break year, I guess. I think this year I've come out and maybe made for another couple of years at least."

Tonight Lonergan faces the Brisbane Lions at Telstra Dome as a changed man in a reborn Essendon outfit on a three-game winning streak.

When draft-pick order once meant everything, the wiser Bomber now knows there is only one ingredient required to succeed at the highest level.

"It's amazing how much people look back to what draft-pick number you were and whether you were top 10 or top 20," Lonergan said.

"But once you get to the club and get some good guidance from senior players and help and support, the pick number goes out the window.

"Anyone can get there as long as you're willing to work hard."
Essendunny
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Re: Sammy Lonergan - Making Up For Lost Time

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Timely article given his performance tonight. Really love watching him scrap at the base of packs.
sconsey
On the Rookie List

Post by sconsey »

Good to see him get back after the knock and be rewarded with a couple goals for his hard work! Going to be around for a few more years I'd say.
Lonergan's 44 tackles rank equal first at Essendon. Not bad considering the joint leader, midfielder Brent Stanton, has played three more matches.
Also loving the improvement of Stantons defensive side, along with his ability to continue to run the lines.
Sartorius
Club Captain

Post by Sartorius »

Played very well last night, especially after going off with concussion. He is so strong through the hips he gets under a pack and carries three opposition players as he tries to get the ball out. Also did well when he went forward. Would be close to get a rising star nom. Certainly deserves one.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Gossy wrote:Would be close to get a rising star nom.
Nup. Our players just don't get them. They stuffed up with Houli.

Kyle Reimers:

12 games out of a possible 14
15 disposals a game
8 goals 8 behinds
5 goal assists

Ranked 8th among rising stars in Inside 50s Per Game
Ranked 2nd among rising stars in Kicks Per Game
Ranked 5th among rising stars in Total Inside 50s
Ranked 2nd among rising stars in Total Kicks
Ranked 7th among rising stars in Total Disposals
Ranked 4th among rising stars in Total Marks

No nomination.
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

It is a disgrace that Reimers hasn't been nominated!

Sam is also worthy! His effort on the half forward line after he returned from concussion was nothing short of inspirational.

3 Marks and 2 goals 1 behind (which was his easiest shot) for the quarter. This is from a kid who is half the size of Neagle, Lloyd and Lucas. You've gotta love his endeavour =D> =D> =D>
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

I am loving the way Sammy is playing this season. I thought his career was over last season but i am so glad that he was given another opportunity and is making the most of it. His toughness at the ball is outstanding.

I think Reimers, Sammy and Myers all should have been close to getting a rising star nomination this year but it hasn't happened so far. Jack Riewoldt will probably get it this week for his 5 goals.