Yes, another Jason Laycock thread

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
onzman
Regular Senior Player

Yes, another Jason Laycock thread

Post by onzman »

I have never made a post on him before. But honestly, is he part of the future? Weak as piss, just when you think he might do something he shits in his own pants. This is not a bagging thread, but seriously, is there not another big man in the reserves that could be given an opportunity to replace him? No balls, no heart. Maybe Im wrong. But again, is there someone else to give the chance to rather than this guy?
onzman
Regular Senior Player

Re: Yes, another Jason Laycock thread

Post by onzman »

Actually, I take back any defence I may have allowed him. A f****** disgrace. My 5 year old daughter would knock him into next week. How he ever got a contract to play AFL football is beyond me.
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

Blah blah blah.

Sorry, I dont mean to be rude but there's a thousand other threads like this you could've bumped, so that us who are jack of hearing about it don't have to read it.

We get it. You guys dont like him. Yeah he's not that great and yeah he's probably not going to be playing in the red and black next season. I really wanted him to be good, but he isn't. But REALLY. Enough already.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

I've been one of those frustrated and disappointed critics of Laycock in the last couple of years. It's pretty well documented in the threads around here. I thought he did very well in patches, but also faded with his usual "zoning out" phases. He struggled in the ruck (which I cannot for the life of me understand how he continues to mistime his leaps), but is this a case of the club not getting some decent ruck coach to work with him? Who is our f***'n ruck coach?? Anyway, I thought he showed more heart tonight than he's ever done before. He actually fired up and arked up when he was shoved out of a contest and should have received a free kick and didn't. I thought he did enough as a relieving big man coming off the bench. However, FFS, get someone to work on his ruck work!

Until there is some other big man on the list he can do better, he'll have to do.
Essendunny
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

BenDoolan wrote:I've been one of those frustrated and disappointed critics of Laycock in the last couple of years. It's pretty well documented in the threads around here. I thought he did very well in patches, but also faded with his usual "zoning out" phases. He struggled in the ruck (which I cannot for the life of me understand how he continues to mistime his leaps), but is this a case of the club not getting some decent ruck coach to work with him? Who is our f***'n ruck coach?? Anyway, I thought he showed more heart tonight than he's ever done before. He actually fired up and arked up when he was shoved out of a contest and should have received a free kick and didn't. I thought he did enough as a relieving big man coming off the bench. However, FFS, get someone to work on his ruck work!

Until there is some other big man on the list he can do better, he'll have to do.
Agree with most of that - was good to see some fire in the belly for a change. He was still pretty poo though.

I also liked seeing McVeigh go to him after his goal and give him a pat on the back because we need him to get some confidence back. I actually wonder a lot with Laycock whether it's desire or confidence or whether he's just one of those big blokes who has learned from a young age "not to hit the littler kids". Should draw some inspiration from those two wicked bumps of Hille's tonight!

At least he smashed Brown.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Knights was pumping him up after the match. He had alot more of the ball than usual but failed to make some tackles he should have made which was disappointing.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

robrulz5 wrote:Knights was pumping him up after the match. He had alot more of the ball than usual but failed to make some tackles he should have made which was disappointing.
Yes, the patented Laycock "pinky tackle" got a workout tonight. A good tackle involves the whole body; a not-so-good tackle involves arms only; a poor tackle is when you stick your hand out and try to grab some of the other guy's jumper; a Laycock tackle involves sticking the pinky finger out roughly in the direction of an opponent about three seconds after the opponent has past him by.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

I was hoping he would have learnt from Hille's effort where he knocked over 3 Brisbane players in the space of 20 seconds.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

It was interesting to see him fire up a bit when the imbecilic umpires missed the obvious free to him (and Voss and the others on TV failed to even comment on it). This is without a doubt what he needs - something to get him worked up a bit. Maybe Reimers could stir him up in the rooms before the match or something?
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

Megan wrote:Blah blah blah.

Sorry, I dont mean to be rude but there's a thousand other threads like this you could've bumped, so that us who are jack of hearing about it don't have to read it.

We get it. You guys dont like him. Yeah he's not that great and yeah he's probably not going to be playing in the red and black next season. I really wanted him to be good, but he isn't. But REALLY. Enough already.
Ditto.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

robrulz5 wrote:I was hoping he would have learnt from Hille's effort where he knocked over 3 Brisbane players in the space of 20 seconds.
Correct me if I'm wrong Rob, but wasn't it Laycock's marking attempt that took out one J Brown in the second quarter (?), and had him hobbling on one leg for the rest of the game?...
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Doctor Fish wrote:
robrulz5 wrote:I was hoping he would have learnt from Hille's effort where he knocked over 3 Brisbane players in the space of 20 seconds.
Correct me if I'm wrong Rob, but wasn't it Laycock's marking attempt that took out one J Brown in the second quarter (?), and had him hobbling on one leg for the rest of the game?...
But he still can't seem to complete tackles that he should. Yes it was a good contest that left Brown hurt but he needs to be going that hard at the ball more often. We all know the talent he has and if he applies himself over the next 12 months or so he could be a very important player for us.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Doctor Fish wrote:
The Cock really hit that pack as hard as anyone could and corked Big Johhno's thigh. Don't overlook that fact that two players missed that Lion who went on to score. I think Henry was the other. He took some good grabs, at least one goal assist and could have had 3 goals. I didn't think he was too bad. I wonder if it is the same crew heaping sh#t on him that were after Hille's blood a couple of years ago.

There was also a marking dual on the Brisbane forward goal line which resulted in a Brisbane goal. Laycock copped heaps from the crowd but there was Ryder and NLM also in the same marking dual.

No argument that he has to bulk up but if the club thought for a minute that he wasn't trying or committed there is no way he would get a game. I just want to see him succeed because he really has got some skills for a big bloke.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

I loved the way Shlong got aggro when he wasn't given the obvious free. Taken off for a spell and came back angry.

A rampant, angry, shlong - is something we'd all like to see much more of.

Simon Madden should be put on a lifetime contract at EFC - How this bloke would benefit!
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
CameronClayton
High Draft Pick

Post by CameronClayton »

Had to put this photo in; Hille never looked this soft 3 years ago (BD, can you find a 2004 Hille photo with arms exposed?), he was already strong & had well defined muscles. If people think Laycock is going to magically turn into Hille in 3 years time, it ain't gonna happen without hard yards in the gym.

Laycock has actually more talent then Hille, but about 1/10th of the desire.

http://bombertalk4.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4374&start=0
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

I think The Cock gets a pretty bad run from the fans. I call it the Madden syndrome. Every ruckman since Simon retired has copped it from the Fans. Salmon, Somerville, Alessio, Hille, Allan and now Laycock. We will probably never have another ruckman as good as Simon Madden.

Remember he is only 23 and ruckman don't usally start playing to there potential until they are 25. See Hille for that as well as Salmon. He can take a grab, he can kick a goal. The goods are there for him. I think he will get there and become a good player for us.

He has some work to do but I think it will happen.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

Well said Bert - the bloke clearly isn't setting the world on fire but he's shown enough at this stage of his career. Next year will be make or break for him.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

Alessioooooooo! I love the big men, always had a soft spot for the ruckmen. Esp Ces, he was my other fave player after Hirdy vingertje
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
CameronClayton
High Draft Pick

Post by CameronClayton »

Found a 2005 photo of Hille
http://www.jamd.com/search?assettype=g& ... %2522+2005

You guys do the comparisons & tell me whether you still think Laycock is going to magically turn into Hille in 3 years time.

I reckon Megan's comparison to Alessio is a much better comparison
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

Hate to bring this up when there's still time left in this one, but Laycock, you are not a footballer's arsehole mate. Not f*cking good enough. Too soft, no f*cking bottle.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.