Trade Laycock Now

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
dom_105
Club Captain

Re: Trade Laycock Now

Post by dom_105 »

Clean out your locker son.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Hats off to Stanton?
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
The Man from Bomberland
Champion of Essendon

Post by The Man from Bomberland »

LOL filth I once wrote an email like that. The morning after I remember wishing I'd slept on it. Will you feel that way tomorrow morning.

Nah in all seriousness it was a very soft end to the game. He'll be a pretty embarrassed boy at the moment.
Last edited by The Man from Bomberland on Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bombers till' I die
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

I've bagged him enough already. Seriously, we need to consider using a draft pick on a ruckman. As a junior PSD pick Bellchambers is very speculative insofar as you don't really expect PSD picks to become good players (it's a bonus when they do), so it's a bit unfair to pin our hopes on him. Our first pick will be somewhere between 4-6 and our second pick will be in the mid 20's; not sure what the depth of rucks is like in this year's draft but we must give serious consideration to using either our first or second pick on a ruckman.
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

jimmyc1985 wrote:I've bagged him enough already. Seriously, we need to consider using a draft pick on a ruckman. As a junior PSD pick Bellchambers is very speculative insofar as you don't really expect PSD picks to become good players (it's a bonus when they do), so it's a bit unfair to pin our hopes on him. Our first pick will be somewhere between 4-6 and our second pick will be in the mid 20's; not sure what the depth of rucks is like in this year's draft but we must give serious consideration to using either our first or second pick on a ruckman.
I agree. We can't expect Hille to carry the team if we're serious about winning a flag in the next 3 - 5 years.

...But... if there's a CHB or FB available in the draft, who do you pick?
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Bollocks to that. With a different pair of boots he could have won the game for us. He is a man woefully low on confidence who has just stood up big time in the last quarter but failed to convert. Normally a great kick. At least give him some credit for having a crack. His best game in months.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

absolute joke of an AFL footballer, zero consistency, didn't have the nerve to kick goals when they count... and the main thing im pissed about is when we got away on a fast break he took a mark inside 50 and didn't even think to look around for a likely open player.
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

andrewb wrote:Bollocks to that. With a different pair of boots he could have won the game for us. He is a man woefully low on confidence who has just stood up big time in the last quarter but failed to convert. Normally a great kick. At least give him some credit for having a crack. His best game in months.
He didn't "stand up". He took two marks in the last term, yeah, they weren't bad, but think about how he bottled the kick-out in the third term (I think) and it went straight back in. He didn't contest the mark and he didn't chase Simmonds. No excuses for that bullshit. And it's not just today, he has been dead ordinary all year.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
Bomber_Fan
On the Rookie List

Post by Bomber_Fan »

Filthy wrote:Those last 5 minutes showed why. The good players kick those goals.

No guts.

No nerve.

No application.

No anything except a shitload of wasted talent and waste of space at EFC.

And he lets down the other 18 fit blokes left but also the other 20 injured team mates. f*** off you poof. :evil:
The last five minutes were the icing on the cake. Had a terrible game, tries his best to let the opposition take the mark despite being in the best position. And defensive pressure? Don't think I've seen him exert any all year.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

andrewb wrote:Bollocks to that. With a different pair of boots he could have won the game for us. He is a man woefully low on confidence who has just stood up big time in the last quarter but failed to convert. Normally a great kick. At least give him some credit for having a crack. His best game in months.
My view also. He got his hands on it, and if he had kicked one ball straighter, the accolades might be different.

Jetta missed two at the other end in the Q1. Just as damaging on the scoreboard unfortunately.
merc_2
Regular Senior Player

Post by merc_2 »

His 4 misses, 2 set shots and 2 in play, did cost us. But it is the fact that he outmarked when he rucks and follows the opposition ruckman into the backline. Today he was in front and allowed Symmonds to take a mark from behind...weak as piss. This has happened consistently over the last couple of weeks.

The reality is, he must play in order to give Hille some support. Bellechambers is not ready for AFL footy yet. Paddy is required in the backline.
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

Didn't see the game, can't comment.

Do object to the term 'poof' being used as a derogatory one (apologies for the spelling?) tho Filth.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

F111 wrote:
My view also. He got his hands on it, and if he had kicked one ball straighter, the accolades might be different.

Jetta missed two at the other end in the Q1. Just as damaging on the scoreboard unfortunately.
I remeber reading posts like the others about David Hille as recent as 2006.

Get off his back, was not the worst player today.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

I've noticed that Stantons late miss isn't mentioned.
Jetta's efforts aren't slammed.
Hille's effort when we were streaming forward in the last isn't mentioned.
Lucas slip slideing all over the place isn't mentioned.
NLM insitance on giving away stupid soft free kicks isn't mentioned.
But no Laycock cost us the game. :roll:
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

I knew this would be on here when I came home from work. Typical whingeing. So annoying, the guy has no confidence because he cops shit from supporters, if you would call them that, like the ones on here constantly bagging the shit out of him and i am fed up of all these bloody threads. But then you expect him to kick goals like that in the last quarter. Shut up and support your team, Lloyd missed a shot as well but we don't lay shit on him do we?. Put most of our team out there to have those shots and most would miss them under the pressure. He kicked one prior to that to kick us ahead further and at that time was a hero. How things can get forgotten quickly. Thanks to him we still had a chance to win it. Then Stants missed another after that! but nooo we won't blame him. Just deal with it, he is here for another 6 games then see what happens after that. Was a fantastic game today and we should have won but he was far from the only reason.

[END RANT]

* By no means am I Jason Laycock's no.1 fan either*
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

boncer34 wrote:I've noticed that Stantons late miss isn't mentioned.
Didn't see this before posting. Spot on bonce.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

JumboPaddy wrote:I knew this would be on here when I came home from work. Typical whingeing. So annoying, the guy has no confidence because he cops shit from supporters, if you would call them that, like the ones on here constantly bagging the shit out of him and i am fed up of all these bloody threads. But then you expect him to kick goals like that in the last quarter. Shut up and support your team, Lloyd missed a shot as well but we don't lay shit on him do we?. Put most of our team out there to have those shots and most would miss them under the pressure. He kicked one prior to that to kick us ahead further and at that time was a hero. How things can get forgotten quickly. Thanks to him we still had a chance to win it. Then Stants missed another after that! but nooo we won't blame him. Just deal with it, he is here for another 6 games then see what happens after that. Was a fantastic game today and we should have won but he was far from the only reason.

[END RANT]

* By no means am I Jason Laycock's no.1 fan either*

I haven't seen todays game JP - but I agree that if you support the Bombers you support all players. Certainly fans can express disappointment with a player's performance - but week win week out of the same old rage directed at one player isn't called for.

You made reference to a couple of other opportunities that we let slip. The problem is that Lloyd is a champion who has kicked hundreds of goals and won plenty of games of his own boot. Stanton has finished in the top 4 of our B & F three times in what? about 5 seasons, and from all reports was perhaps our best today. Laycock has done very little in the overwhelming majority of his appearances. In sum, some players perform consistently well - so the odd mistake can be forgiven. Others - like Laycock consistently perform at a very ordinary level - so a fans tolerance level is sorely tested.

No one player should ever be blamed for a loss - but Laycock often earns his criticism - and apparently did so again today.
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

Laycock plays the game like it is basketball. He has no upper body strength and is too easily outmaneuvered in the contest, and he continually mistimes his leaps in the ruck contest. He is at his best when he is one out in a contest and can use his reach to trap (as opposed to mark) the ball. Normally an accurate kick - but let himself down badly today.

This bloke needs a HUGE pre-season -(one year too late -he should be AFL ready now). Many of us saw the photos of him over the pre-season and expressed disappointment about his flabby, un-AFL physique at the time. He might be another Dustin Fletcher or Josh Fraser, in which case we might not have a place for him long term. Ruck man are hard to come by - I'm prepared to give him one more year.

Not the reason we lost today. But He has the habit of positioning himself as the scapegoat. If this is his best attribute it will be a damn shame!
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
juff
Top Up Player

Post by juff »

He's definitely down on confidence - shows in almost every aspect of his game. Even his kicking for goal seemed a bit weak and half hearted today. For a big lug of lad, you'd expect him to have a booming kick, but he had several 30m shots on goal which barely made the distance. And f*** me, he is soooo soft at a contest, gets pushed off so easily

I was watching him when the final siren blew, and to his credit he really did seem upset and disappointed. He went down on his haunches and put his hands over his face and head. The guy is genuinely hurting, and as pissed off as I was at his soft game, I couldn't help feeling sorry for him. I think he's trying his best but is beset by his own self doubt.

What to do with him? In present form, Laycock wouldn't be worth much at the trade table, and as others have pointed out we aren't blessed with deep ruck stocks. Knights is reputed to be very positive and supportive of his players and seems very willing to understand their psychology (e.g. his comments about sensitive handling of indigenous palyers). My guess is that he will persist with Laycock and keep working on ways to build his confidence back up.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

boncer34 wrote:I've noticed that Stantons late miss isn't mentioned.

Couldn't agree more Bonce. Far out. This forum is quite biased at times. Some people always need a whipping boy I guess...

I'm actually proud of the effort of all our players. Losing Fletch and the bench cost us dearly. The result albeit disappointing, was quite inspiring.