Peter Somerville vs Jason Laycock

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Re: Peter Somerville vs Jason Laycock

Post by billyduckworth »

Somerville wasn't the greatest footballer going around but I don't think he was anywhere near as bad as some people think. As you say, Ben, he did play in a Premiership team. Laycock still has a long way to go to catch him. Maybe at the moment he's about the same as Steve Taubert or someone like that (I'm going back a bit here - anyone remember that no.16?)
GoalSneak
Top Up Player

Post by GoalSneak »

Taubert was a vastly better footballer than Laycock.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

all comparisons are a moot point - Laycock is rubbish. That's all the analysis we need.
Royza
Club Captain

Post by Royza »

Somer had a good season in '95.

I can't see anything in Laycock other than a tall forward. Anywhere outside forward 50 he looks like he's playing for the opposition.
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

Laycock is probably more naturally talented, but has no desire to actually play the game. No bottle.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Laycock isn't getting any better this year because his confidence is shot and his body isn't in good enough shape to allow him to play any better.

I would like Laycock to have a herculean pre-season. Not a big pre-season, a HUGE pre-season.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

There is time for Jason Laycock. Has anyone noticed that he has not been injured for a while now. That's the first thing he had to do and he's done it. Injury free for the longest time in his career. Next stage will be to get some game time under his belt and try to find his confidence, this is slowly happening. Perhaps like David Hille, he will take some time to come on, but Hille had to live in the shadow of Allan, Allessio, Salmon etc until assuming the mantle of premier ruckmman. Perhaps Laycock needs some time as the first ruck? Hille is 27 and only now showing some consistency. I believe we need to show the same patience with Laycock too.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

------------played--K--HB--Mark--HO--Tack--FF---FA--Go---Be
Laycock-----14--- 4.6--3.4- 2.3 - 10.1- 1.3 - 0.8 - 0.8- 0.7- 0.6
Hille '04 ---- 23 -- 6.5 - 4.0- 3.6 - 12.7 - 1.3 -0.6 - 0.6 -1.1- 0.8
Hille '05 ---- 13 -- 6.4 - 7.7- 4.3 - 17.3 - 1.5 -0.5 - 0.5 -0.8- 0.5

Food for thought. Note Hille was the number 1 ruckman during those years.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Well with Quinn gone, Filth has to unload on someone.

Do we really need a new thread every week? Yes, he has had a shithouse season and it doesn't look like its going to get better for him. Confidence is shot to bits and he looks as though he doesn't give a f***.

And Filth, saying Somer went around hitting blokes and comparing it to Laycock is stupid. If Somer was playing now, he would get rubbed out 6 weeks at a time. And just because you play in a premiership, it does not make you a decent player.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Filthy wrote:Well Ross ....with you unloading on me, CC and someone else in the space of 3 posts, you should take rejection from your missus much better. :roll:

And having got over that, read the post to see its intent and direction. Here we have 2 "shit" ruckmen...only 8 years apart.....one vastly more talented than the other but Somer being vastly more succesful than the the incumbent.

And if you think being a Premiership player is worth nada...mate you nothing about Footy.

In faireness though Filth, there have been plenty of hacks who have premiership medallions!!
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Filth bud you can't honestly think that bagging Laycock all the time is a worthwhile exercise. Come on mate Laypenis? That just makes you sound childish and crude. Surely you can come up with a better name then that.

As for premiership medals making you a good player.... N Ablett anyone? Theres plenty example of useless guys who have been carried to premierships by their much more talented team mates. I think about 10 of them are playing for the Eagles atm. :wink:
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

boncer34 wrote:Filth bud you can't honestly think that bagging Laycock all the time is a worthwhile exercise. Come on mate Laypenis? That just makes you sound childish and crude. Surely you can come up with a better name then that.
As for premiership medals making you a good player.... N Ablett anyone? Theres plenty example of useless guys who have been carried to premierships by their much more talented team mates. I think about 10 of them are playing for the Eagles atm. :wink:
How about Jason Lazyboy?
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

bomberdonnie wrote:
boncer34 wrote:Filth bud you can't honestly think that bagging Laycock all the time is a worthwhile exercise. Come on mate Laypenis? That just makes you sound childish and crude. Surely you can come up with a better name then that.
How about Jason Lazyboy?

I like it.
hillchaser
High Draft Pick

Post by hillchaser »

I Agree Filth. It's not a question of desire .. he just doesn't have the mentality or strength to play at AFL level. He gets pushed of the ball by everyone ...and just looks completely weak and sloppy.

I'm sick of everyone on this board who keep talking about the fact that he has talent. So did cupido. So does about a million other guys playing country football that never wanted to focus or make the sacrifices that are required for AFL.

To be a good footy player you need talent, desire, and a good mental attitude to the team and work. If you are missing any of these attributes the rest don't matter.
hillchaser
High Draft Pick

Post by hillchaser »

BTW - Somers was pathetic in the 99 prelim. Not the reason we lost but should take the blame anyway
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Not having a go at you Filth, but I am seriously sick of logging in and seeing threads about Laycock. He's not having a great year, we all get it. If people persist with creating 3 new Laycock threads every week then we should seriously create a new board or something so I don't have to see them all the time.

FFS guys. Very frustrating.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Filth in regards to

A) A number of your posts recently seem to be unloading on JL. Just an observation.

B) I'm not arguing the importance of the medal. I'm questioning the fact that having one automatically makes you a good player.

C) It's an improvement.