Greatest Single Season Under Threat

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Greatest Single Season Under Threat

Post by Windy_Hill »

Geelong are threatening to better Essendon's 2000 record for the single best season in AFL history. I think we had a higher percentage but with 4 games to go, the Cats are definitiely looking to give the record a real shot.
Ossie
Club Captain

Re: Greatest Single Season Under Threat

Post by Ossie »

Depends on finals I guess. We smashed North, Carlscum and the Dees in all finals. The Pies got close to Geelong last year.

Mind you, if they win the Granny like they did last year, then we are in trouble... :shock: :lol:
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

I think that due to them getting SMASHED by 12 goals against the Pies means that our record is safe
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

bomberdonnie wrote:I think that due to them getting SMASHED by 12 goals against the Pies means that our record is safe
maybe - I think we lost to the Dogs by 9 or 11 pts?

They might go back to back - and I'd take that anyday that the single greatest season ever.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Also, our 2000 season saw us win 20 in a row and the preseason competition which included another five wins.

Geelong cannot match that this year.

If they win the flag, then it will be fair to say that they were better than us over a two year period but they cannot match out 2000 season this year (imho)
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Our percentage was higher. I'd back our 2000 side to beat the current Geelong side.
Royza
Club Captain

Post by Royza »

Geelong's competition has been woeful. A crap side like the Filth applied pressure & destroyed them.
It's crap that we're going to cop the comparison almost every yr.

As far as I'm concerned, a team will at least have to go through the season undefeated before I consider the 2000 season beaten.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

Royza wrote:Geelong's competition has been woeful. A crap side like the Filth applied pressure & destroyed them.

As far as I'm concerned, a team will at least have to go through the season undefeated before I consider the 2000 season beaten.
how so?

In 2000, we made made a lot of sides look woeful too.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

tonysoprano wrote:
Royza wrote:Geelong's competition has been woeful. A crap side like the Filth applied pressure & destroyed them.

how so?

Spot on. I'd argue, Hawks and Dogs are stronger than any team bar the dons in 2000 by a fair way. Melbourne made the finals and Woeisme won the Chas FFS!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Record? They've already smashed the record with 36 wins from 38 games. No other club has ever achieved such a run.
Essendunny
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

Sismis wrote:
tonysoprano wrote:

how so?

Spot on. I'd argue, Hawks and Dogs are stronger than any team bar the dons in 2000 by a fair way. Melbourne made the finals and Woeisme won the Chas FFS!
except maybe Carlton who had won 15 straight until Koutafides got injured - and were certainly our toughest test in the final series.
Royza
Club Captain

Post by Royza »

Sismis wrote:
tonysoprano wrote:

how so?

& you'd expect that. As a logical progression of the sport, that after 8 yrs a team today would beat a team of the past. I'm still on the topic of Greatest Season ever.

Competition-wise, Norf & Scum were coming off the GF with the Scum making the Semi the yr after we destroyed them. Melbourne had their good yr(Woe was pretty good that yr as opposed to the crap he served up after it).

Last yr Geelong had one of the biggest gimmies of all time. The main competition during the season appeared to be WC, Syd, & the Dawks. WC went off on some Magical Mystery Tour with Ben, Syd went missing with injuries, & the Dawks went downhill towards the end thanks to going back to rehab. That left the making up the numbers that is the Kangas & the joke that is Port. We knocked off 2nd, 3rd, & 4th like a walk in the park in the finals, & Geelong got a fright v the Filth.

When we beat teams, they didn't recover for several weeks. & we rested players after 1/2 time. Geelong continue to get cheap %. Added to that are the bottom sides who plan earlier for the next season than ever before & give plenty of cheap % away (13-15th had 7 wins in 2000).

& if Pav didn't aim for the post so often, the Cats would've lost against Freo!

Dawks are still suspect. I'd even back the Kangas to beat them again in a final.
I don't rate the Dogs at all. Side that plays good rebounding footy & that is all. If Lucas has a reasonable game, I think we're a good chance to knock them off.
Dogs don't have a Premiership spine to win a flag. They finished below us last yr, & wouldn't surprise me if they finished below us next yr as well.

With the season still to complete, I'll leave a final assessment until after the GF. I'm not impressed as yet.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

BenDoolan wrote:Record? They've already smashed the record with 36 wins from 38 games. No other club has ever achieved such a run.
I think we strung together something like 40-2 in from mid 99 to mid 2001???
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Windy_Hill wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:Record? They've already smashed the record with 36 wins from 38 games. No other club has ever achieved such a run.
Not sure......but I doubt it. Can't remember who said it (probably McAvaney) said that Geelong just racked up their 36th win out of 38 matches, which no team has ever done in the history of the game. The comment was made as they defeated Hawthorn last week.

But as far as single seasons go, Geelong will most likely equal our 21 wins record. Whether we have a greater % or not doesn't really matter in my book. They won the GF by 20 goals last year and have followed it up with this near perfect season. They are coasting, in cruise control / auto pilot as their coach enjoys eating sandwiches in the coaches box. I honestly can't see anyone getting near them in September.
Essendunny
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

Windy_Hill wrote:
From Round 9 1999 to Rd 16 2001 we went 52-5.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

tonysoprano wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:
Amazing - I guess it will come down to whether the Cats can go one better on Premierships. We kinda fluffed our lines a little!
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

tonysoprano wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:
The beginning of the end, that Round 16, 2001 game.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

It all means shit.

Brisbane are still the best of the three "dynasties" by a mile.

Premierships are the only currency that matters.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Meh.
andrewb wrote:Premierships are the only currency that matters.
Spot on.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
nomolos
Club Captain

Post by nomolos »

dom_105 wrote:
The beginning of the end, that Round 16, 2001 game.
Yep.

It was almost like a champagne bottle with the pressure rising behind the cork. We popped the cork, cept while it never lost its taste...it lost its flow. Eventually it ran out.