As Disappointing As It Is....

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

As Disappointing As It Is....

Post by paddyl90 »

Yes... Positive JP again :roll: The future for us could not be any brighter. After having calmed down and being realistic, finals was only a faint hope and as hopeful as you want to be, we wouldn't match anyone else in the finals of significance. We could have given up and let them run away, but the second half was fantastic at least to show that we didn't give up right til the end. Its all about the future and the signs we have shown the last 8 weeks will help us to be a stronger side. I guarantee we will be a top 8 side next year. I'm going to sit back and relax and enjoy the last three weeks we have left for the year and look forward to the coming year.
Anyway, I can't hate them.
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Re: As Disappointing As It Is....

Post by MH_Bomber »

I said the same on the game thread JP.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

Well you're a smart person MH_Bomber. :wink: :)
Bomber_Fan
On the Rookie List

Post by Bomber_Fan »

Yes disappointing end to the season but at least this season has convinced me that we have some solid young talent coming through. I was sceptical about Knight's appointment and thought we had to select somebody not involved with our club who would be able to be more objective with our playing stocks. I for one, put my hand up and admit I was wrong and have completely underestimated Knights who has handled himself superbly all year. Last year under Sheedy's helm I thought we were absolutely farked for at least a few more seasons.
In the end, that eight game losing streak in the middle of the season really killed us. And our consistency can only improve, we have played some great quarters of footy but some absolutely shit quarters in the same games. Still it would be great if we could beat those hacks the Aints in the last game and destroy their final hopes. But to be honest if it means that Carlton or Collingwood get to the finals, the unthinkable might happen - I'll be hoping that we lose. Another positive to come through the game - Dempsey seems to have got through unscathed (TOUCH WOOD!!!). Finally the AFL world might get to see why everybody at Bomberland rates this kid so highly.
Royza
Club Captain

Post by Royza »

Depends how you look at it. Our 1st 1/2 was a disgrace. Trying to redeem in the 2nd 1/2 against the 15th placed side is only good if you win.
I won't be overly harsh. It looks like we're tired & hitting a flat spot. Too many broken tackles, running into trouble, & not enough movement up the ground similar to earlier in the season.

If Hille doesn't perform, we're suspect. Or are we crap just because Lucas isn't in the team? Dyson seriously need's decision making lessons.

Happy with Dempsey's game. 25 possies, can run the lines.

Would've liked to have the young guys get some finals experience. Promising signs this yr anyway.
vern
On the Rookie List

Post by vern »

I'm the same as you JP. Once I calmed down I figured we were only an outside chance at the 8 anyway. The first half of the season was too costly.

I hope we can do some damage to the finals aspirations of the Crows and Saints in the coming weks and I look forward to next season.

I've seen enough over the last 7 weeks to convince me that we can push for a top 4 spot next year if we stay injury free. (Surely we're due for a good run with injuries now that Quinn is goneski)
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

I'm not disappointed that we can longer play finals. That was a pipe dream. What I am disappointed is the team running out flat, disinterested, lazy, gutless, soft, or whatever you want to call it.

We were insipid for the 1st half.

If we play a half like that in the remaining rounds we will lose every game by 8 goals and not a flattering 10 points.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Finals...pfft!! Never a chance with our percentage anyway. Agree with Tony Soprano - its all about effort at the moment and it clearly wasnt there in the first half.

Still, we have a plethora of talented players on the sidelines and an ever improving game plan. I wouldnt worry too much about the results today and over the next three weeks.

But, I would like to see certain players make a statement.
juff
Top Up Player

Post by juff »

Well, here's one more positive from the game for you JP. Our new fitness coach had a damn good look at the state of our team and will no doubt be already planning a BIG preseason on the training track!
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

It can happen with young and inexperienced sides, that there's no consistency. We've shown in the last couple of months that we really can compete with anyone (smashed the Pies, ran over the top of Carlton, Brisbane etc) but we will have off days, and it may well happen for another year or two until young guys like Riemers, Dempsey, Jetta, Lonergan, Myers, Pears, Magin etc get 50+ games under their belts and find their way in the AFL.

The signs are very good though, I think we might just scrape finals next year but look out in 2010 or 2011.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

Look I never bothered with the finals. Everyone who knows me kept saying "You will make the finals" and I kept saying no, we wont. I don't want to make up the numbers. I don't want to be there unless we're a contender.

And now we're not. Pressure is off! Bring on the last few games!
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

Windy_Hill wrote:Finals...pfft!! Never a chance with our percentage anyway. Agree with Tony Soprano - its all about effort at the moment and it clearly wasnt there in the first half.

Still, we have a plethora of talented players on the sidelines and an ever improving game plan. I wouldnt worry too much about the results today and over the next three weeks.

But, I would like to see certain players make a statement.
Problem being Windy - the talent remains on the sidelines - INJURED!

We need to seriously address this ongoing problem professionally and seriously if we hope to have a chance of playing finals into the future.

As others have said - it has been a remarkable effort to get where we have with this injury list we have endured this year. This has been the single biggest reason why we have lost games. Let's hope it doesn't remain so next year and we have real selection pressure and 30 plus fit blokes each round competing for a position.

I can but dream.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Royza wrote:If Hille doesn't perform, we're suspect. Or are we crap just because Lucas isn't in the team?
Hille playing well certainly helps, but LUcas out really hurts. Even when he does dick (like against Filth) we play better overall.
hop wrote:Problem being Windy - the talent remains on the sidelines - INJURED!

We need to seriously address this ongoing problem professionally and seriously if we hope to have a chance of playing finals into the future.
The move has been made, we'll have to sit back and see how next year pans out.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

JumboPaddy wrote:Yes... Positive JP again :roll: The future for us could not be any brighter. After having calmed down and being realistic, finals was only a faint hope and as hopeful as you want to be, we wouldn't match anyone else in the finals of significance. I'm going to sit back and relax and enjoy the last three weeks we have left for the year and look forward to the coming year.
Anyway, I can't hate them.
Great outlook, JP. I was expecting the usual vitriol from several contributors, but most agree with your insight. The finals were frankly a pipedream, but it was a real buzz while it lasted. The positives we can take from the year are immense and the future looks as good as I can recall.

How could anyone hate them after this year.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

Its been a great year for Lonergan, Reimers, Hille in particular.

Its been a particularly cruel year for Houli, Johns, Davey.

Would be great to see all the boys fit and available. I still think one of our most scinttilating performances this year was round 1 vs the roos with a full team available.

This year for me has been more about relief than concern.

* knights handles himself well.
* some new blood has talent.
* lloyd has plenty of life left.

Big concerns are gumbleton, neagle and our other KPP prospects seeming VERY injury prone.

We need replacements for fletch, lloyd, lucas pretty quick.

Disappointed how the finals dream ended. Thought they could have kept rallying for a week or too more. Still in the context of the season we have some place for optimism.