Player Review # 8 : Jason Winderlich

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Player Review # 8 : Jason Winderlich

Post by bombercol »

Came on in leaps and bound only to get a broken leg.

Glad he's signed up for another 2 years.

Showed pace and got a good amount of footy in the games he played this year.

Looking forward to an improved year next year. Would cetainly put him in our best 22.

Rating 5.5/10
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

one of the kids im liking the look of can't wait to see him more and more in each game, i think maybe a player to help break open a game.

wait and see in 2007 i guess

5/10
DYSON#2

Post by DYSON#2 »

hmmm hes a funny one young winder
shows so many glimpes but consistancy will be his key when hes back on the track

5/10
nmgilbert
On the Rookie List

Post by nmgilbert »

I definitely wouldnt rate him as high as everyone else here seems to. Has had a while in the system and has struggled to get a game in a team on the bottom of the ladder. Cant see much improvement left in him considering his age and i think a 2 year contract was a mistake.

3.5/10
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

nmgilbert wrote:I definitely wouldnt rate him as high as everyone else here seems to. Has had a while in the system and has struggled to get a game in a team on the bottom of the ladder. Cant see much improvement left in him considering his age and i think a 2 year contract was a mistake.

3.5/10
I'll disagree with you on this one gilby. I used to bag the crap out of this bloke for two seasons. He was always on the bottom of the stat sheet, and although he is blessed with a lot of pace, I used to think he used that to run away from contests. Then I saw him emerge this year. He played some good footy and used his pace to "attack". Unfortunately, it was all too brief and he sustained a season ending broken leg. I don't think it was a mistake to give him 2 more years, HOWEVER, he now needs to produce something now (and no Koala, I'm not referring to kids!). 4/10
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

Struggles to get a game at the equal worst team in the league. Reading some of the other posts here I thought we were talking about Hird!!! Serisouly, there is a reason we are on the bottom, and guys like this is one of them. Ordinary skills, soft, doesn't read the play particularly well...TWO YEAR DEAL????????? I pray for Essendon at night.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

gringo wrote:Struggles to get a game at the equal worst team in the league. Reading some of the other posts here I thought we were talking about Hird!!! Serisouly, there is a reason we are on the bottom, and guys like this is one of them. Ordinary skills, soft, doesn't read the play particularly well...TWO YEAR DEAL????????? I pray for Essendon at night.
Yeah, let's trade him for Jason Cloke.....
Sol
Top Up Player

Post by Sol »

Is there anyone at Essendon you do like Gringo?

49 posts, 49 comments about how shithouse every player on our list is and not one constructive and insightful comment on anything.

Your probably one of those f***wit supporters that go to the football and spit and swear at their own when things are down then walk out before three quarter time.

A forum is all about opinion, but there comes a point when your opinions are no longer just opinions but insults to the culture and intelligence of the club and its supporters.

You sound like a Carlton cock sucker to me mate so just f*** off and 'support' some other team you no hope f****** loser.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

He showed some good signs early in the year. Hopefully his leg doesn't limit him next year. I'd lke to see him play a full season to have a proper opinion about him.

5/10
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

Sol wrote: Your probably one of those f***wit supporters that go to the football and spit and swear.
Hmmmm. How do you spell "irony" again? Grow up, sunsine.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

I think Winders shows lots of potential. He is gradually learning to read the play. Still a fair way to go yet, but could be a very important player for us over the next 3-4-5 years.
4/10
ZRS
Regular Senior Player

Post by ZRS »

i was impressed with his sprint effort at the GF, came second to fev, only cause of the massive handicap adviantage fev had, not bad for a guy that haddent played a game since breaking his leg.
Sol
Top Up Player

Post by Sol »

On the topic, on the games he did play I'll give him 4/10. But he did look promising just before the injury and hopefully he can move forward next season as he has what we need, pace and quality disposal skills.
azza78
High Draft Pick
Location: Cairns, FNQ. Home of the mighty Cairns Draught, may it RIP

Post by azza78 »

Disappointing that he suffered the injury just as he seemed to be figuring out how to play at the top level. Showed some signs in the games he played and started to gain some momentum and confidence.

Still has much to work on, but has shown that his pace and ability to carry the ball and break lines could be a huge asset to the side. Needs to really cement his place next year and prove that he can consistently play good footy.

3.5/10
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

4/10 - Winder (like many of his team mates) needs to find that illusive consistency.

Started to look good before the broken leg - one year to prove himself would have been my call.
antcl
Top Up Player

Post by antcl »

3.5/10

Even before the break, had only one good game. Other than that, did show a few glimpses. In my view, not enough. Don't think he'll be a player. Shows poor decision making, and I don't think at AFL level he is good enough.

Suspect he'll be a good VFL, poor AFL player.

Oh, and I thought we only offered hima 1yr contract?
Rusty1978
Top Up Player

Post by Rusty1978 »

The only thing I will say, is that HOW, can we offer Winders a straight out 2yr deal (nothing against him personally), but only offer JJ a 1 yr deal????

Not in the same league, yet, and is just not right.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

I think he played pretty good before he got injured.

We definitely need his pace - sure his skills need improving (but who's doesn't?!)

I think he'll do alright in 2007 - perhaps be an "under the radar" sort of player.

5.5/10.
Sol
Top Up Player

Post by Sol »

Rusty1978 wrote:The only thing I will say, is that HOW, can we offer Winders a straight out 2yr deal (nothing against him personally), but only offer JJ a 1 yr deal????

Not in the same league, yet, and is just not right.
JJ's best is almost at an end and the ability for his aging body to get through yet another season is a year to year proposition, as it is for most players heading 30 and over. There is also the incident last year where he went on Holiday instead of having surgery first which greatly impacted his season. Hence we tried to get 1 year, but given he is still a great player we were always going to give in to his demands.

Winders on his upward curve we hope. meaning this season (2007) he should improve and next season he should be better again. You give him two so he doesnt leave the club before the peak of his ability.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

The other thing that people need to keep in mind, when discussing 1 yr deals versus 2 yr deals, is that just because a contract goes for longer does not mean it is worth more money. I think you would find that JJ would be on much more money for 1yr than a young player like Winderlich would be on over 2yrs.