The booing of Laycock

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Re: The booing of Laycock

Post by Windy_Hill »

Filthy wrote:Apparently, very loud and continued booing of Lazycock yesterday everytime he went near it. Those who went, how bad was it?

Actually I don't think its very helpful. I want him to have a big pre season and come back with a new attitude and an AFL body.

This booing, with him out of contract, ... in the PSD....and another #1 round pick down the drain. Look at what Fish did after that 95 Final and then had arguably his best years at the Dawks. :(

Promises, promises!!!!
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

There was no booing.

There were some bronx cheers when he took a mark in the 3rd quarter, but there were less and less the more he got the ball. He played ok in the second half, too bad the game was already done.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Very ironic that he got the crowd's attention yesterday when it was close to his best game of the season. I reckon it was more bronx cheering than booing, though, at least at times during the game.

Apparently he was booed off when the players were going up the race at the end of the match - poor form from thos concerned. Knights was asked about it in his pressa after the game and he basically said that Laycock's a big boy and has to learn how to handle it. Knights wasn't giving him any sympathy and said that it's up to the coaching staff to educate Laycock so that he can play better and not draw the ire of the crowd.
pevfan
On the Rookie List

Post by pevfan »

As I mentioned in another post I left very early so wasn't there to witness it but were they actually booing Laycock off the ground or the team in general. Cos it it was the team, that aint new. The wholesale booing off of the team at the breaks as well as at full time during the 70's was quite commonplace. Not nice I know and must confess to having joined in the chorus more than once back then myself. But at least it showed that we had passion for our team. Crowd behaviour nowadays is much different to back then however so hearing of it happening yesterday (regardless of who it was directed against) is quite intruiging to learn.

Laycock has his chance to do something in the final 2 games now that Hille is out so it will be interesting to see what the extra responsibility does for him. Had 16 touches yesterday (not counting his 8 hitouts) which is probably nearly his best return for the year
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

He brings it on himself with his half arsed efforts in chasing and creating a contest. This guy needs the biggest pre-season of all time and a psychological overhaul to re-arrange his attitude. When he starts actually looking like he is putting in then Bomber fans will refrain from their venom.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

It seems we have alot of supporters with a rather large chip on their collective shoulders. At Essendon we eat our own. Fish, Scotty now Chook. It's beyond embarrassing.

:evil:
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Doctor Fish wrote:It seems we have alot of supporters with a rather large chip on their collective shoulders. At Essendon we eat our own. Fish, Scotty now Chook. It's beyond embarrassing.

Thats pretty poor form from supporters when they go so low as to boo their own players. As the essendon footy club we are so much better then that. Hearing boos from his own supporters will do nothing to improve Jason's confidence.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:
Doctor Fish wrote:It seems we have alot of supporters with a rather large chip on their collective shoulders. At Essendon we eat our own. Fish, Scotty now Chook. It's beyond embarrassing.

Thats pretty poor form from supporters when they go so low as to boo their own players. As the essendon footy club we are so much better then that. Hearing boos from his own supporters will do nothing to improve Jason's confidence.
I wish we were so much better than that Mrs M. The ugly truth is we aren't. Our history is rife with it... I just wonder what they're trying to achieve by constantly heckling a player that's been down on confidence. Sure, if we had another seniors ready ruckman in reserve, Chook could have a spell in the magoos and get some back. Sadly, we don't have that luxury and as a direct result, the heckling of Laycock will continue... Shameful.

I hope he really turns it around next year to shut our moronic fans up...
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

What does it achieve? Probably nothing.
What do they hope it acheives? That the player himself actually realises its not just his teammates he is letting down, but 40,000 other people who pay his wages.

I do not for one second condone booing a fellow player as he still is representing the club, but you can half understand their frustration.

And for the record, I do not here any boos at all, just some bronx cheers. In fact, the last player I heard booed by our supporters was Paul Salmon (disgraceful).

As for Essendon eating their own, please provide some proper examples. Should we always be happy with the team and players, no matter how they perform? Surely we are allowed to be critical.
He kicks on the left
That boy Hurley
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

I dont condone booing him for one minute but what I hear is a general crowd aghast at the seeming lack of urgency and effort. He obviously has the potential to be so much better but my reading of him is that he is lazy footballer who was able to rely on his height to get by down in Tassie. Well its the big league now son and you have to go 100% all of the time.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

Rossoneri wrote:What does it achieve? Probably nothing.
What do they hope it acheives? That the player himself actually realises its not just his teammates he is letting down, but 40,000 other people who pay his wages.

I do not for one second condone booing a fellow player as he still is representing the club, but you can half understand their frustration.

And for the record, I do not here any boos at all, just some bronx cheers. In fact, the last player I heard booed by our supporters was Paul Salmon (disgraceful).

As for Essendon eating their own, please provide some proper examples. Should we always be happy with the team and players, no matter how they perform? Surely we are allowed to be critical.
Do you really think that's what it achieves Ross? Don't get me wrong, he has been frustrating as all buggery. But he knows he's down on form. So does the club. But who else can we bring in?.. IMO shouting abuse at him isn't going to change anything at all. But I can see why people think it might.

As far as our fans eating their own goes, if you need another example, you need look no further than Scotty Lucas. Think back a couple of years and every time he went near the pill our own supporters gave him shit. Probably the same supporters that these days label him a champion of the club. Fan's treatment of Paul Salmon is still one of the lowest moments in our clubs history. And one that opposition supporters never seem to forget...

I guess what's really put the bee in my bonnet is these blokes behind us at the Dome. The fair weather dogs rant non stop every time Chook goes near it. They whine ad nauseam. Be thankful you're sitting in an area where this isn't happening. I'll gladly swap seats with you...

It's been a frustrating year for all of us, I've had enough I guess... Bring on the NFL.

:roll:
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Doctor Fish wrote:Do you really think that's what it achieves Ross?
See the first line in my post.
Doctor Fish wrote: As far as our fans eating their own goes, if you need another example, you need look no further than Scotty Lucas. Think back a couple of years and every time he went near the pill our own supporters gave him shit. Probably the same supporters that these days label him a champion of the club. Fan's treatment of Paul Salmon is still one of the lowest moments in our clubs history. And one that opposition supporters never seem to forget...
That happens at every club, every week and you'll find that it is a minority. Eating your own, the way I see it, is Richmond. When a club pretty much self implodes and blames each other for it. Where I sit, I rarely hear people absolute give a play a bake, just the odd "useless" or "rubbish". Surely that is not eating your own?
Doctor Fish wrote:I guess what's really put the bee in my bonnet is these blokes behind us at the Dome. The fair weather dogs rant non stop every time Chook goes near it. They whine ad nauseam. Be thankful you're sitting in an area where this isn't happening. I'll gladly swap seats with you...
Hate that too, but as you said, I must have a good set of seats (not reserved) so I dont often hear it.
He kicks on the left
That boy Hurley
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

I heard the bronx cheers (which came from the dock side of the ground). I must admit, there was minimal, if any, abuse from where I was sitting (surprisingly). I didn't here any booing at all. If there was, then that is the pits. I don't care how badly a player has played, no player should ever have to contend with booing from their own "supporters". I was there that disgusting day when Salmon was booed off. One of the most sickening days I've spent at the footy.

Jason seemed to be more "active" in this game than he ever has this year. Although there are just times where you look and think "what in farks name is he doing?". There were some instances where he just didn't compete in the ruck....just didn't f***'n jump. Then there were the times when he just jumped 5 minutes too early - now WHY does this happen so often with him? Then there were times when he misjudged the flight of the ball and ran under it. And then there was that USUAL spectating in defence when his opponent leaps over the pack to take a mark. It appears he has a short attention span and needs to work horrendously hard on concentration.

It is obvious that our ruck stocks are very thin, therefore, it's likely he will still be around next year. But I hope the club only offers him 1 year, and slashes his salary in half. I reckon he only deserves a rookie wage. He should be told "if you want to earn a good income in this game you better start producing good outcomes". Otherwise, find another occupation.

What do I want to see from him? Some damned improvement. I will be satisfied if I can see that he is timing his jumps in ruck contests (I mean how F****** hard is it after 57 games to do this?). I'd like to see some consistent tap work to our midfielders. All the other stuff will come naturally - moving forward and kicking goals, and dropping back to assist the defence, if he is rucking confidently.

The man is very frustrating, I know. But I hate seeing him cop so much shit at games.
Essendunny
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

The most frustrating this about Laycock is that we all know he has the talent. He just doesn't put enough hard work in to show it. His performance wouldn't have looked so bad yesterday if we won, some people just like to find someone to blame.
nathanskinner
Top Up Player

Post by nathanskinner »

thought the bronx cheers were uncalled for.. very poor effort by so called supporters.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Perhaps the booing was not aimed at The Recliner but at the whole team who I thought put in a lazy, undiciplined effort on their captain's 250th
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Windy_Hill wrote:Perhaps the booing was not aimed at The Recliner but at the whole team who I thought put in a lazy, undiciplined effort on their captain's 250th
Still no need for it. And the fact that these guys have been down to 18 fit players against a team of hardened footballers might have had something to do with it.

It was a horrible performance, but it was to be expected.
He kicks on the left
That boy Hurley
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

I have nothing to add here but will do in next weeks Jason Laycock thread
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Rossoneri wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:Perhaps the booing was not aimed at The Recliner but at the whole team who I thought put in a lazy, undiciplined effort on their captain's 250th
Still no need for it. And the fact that these guys have been down to 18 fit players against a team of hardened footballers might have had something to do with it.

It was a horrible performance, but it was to be expected.
Agree Rosso - certainly not condoning the booing
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

I didn't go to the game and watched it in a bar in Sydney with the sound down so didn't hear it but I thought Laycock had his best game for the season. Totally uncalled for. I hope they gave McPhee just as much because he was shocking.