Very Interesting...

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Very Interesting...

Post by andrewb »

Lots of interesting footy news today in the Hun:

Lappin retires - great player and if I wasn't an Essendon supporter I'd be sad to see him go. Absolute warrior.

Jono Brown, Kerr and Rutten have all received offers from Collingwood.

We've made a big play for Rischitelli apparently... "Greatly exceeds what he'd get if he stayed at Brisbane". I like.

Sherman also potential trade bait - liked the look of him a few years ago but seems to have dipped in form of late.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/ ... 42,00.html
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/ ... 42,00.html
pevfan
On the Rookie List

Re: Very Interesting...

Post by pevfan »

Bah!!.... Seems we can talk the talk but just never seem to be able to actually walk the walk when it comes to recruiting coups. Like when Sheeds wanted to get Buddy and also Scotty West a few years back. Just pie in the sky stuff. All we ever seem to come up with are virtual has-beens with just the one season (if that) left in them.

The club is just way too conservative when it comes to spending $. Nothing new in that of course for Essendon, probably still got old war bonds still sitting in the coffers. When you think about it who was the last really big name 100+ game recruit we landed...was it all the way back to Lloydy??
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

what I think will happen:

brisbane to keep brown, rischitelli. brown on a 4 year deal worth 3.5Mill, rischitelli v happy with brisbane, just using prob an essendon offer to get an extra 50-100K a year.
cousins to collingwood or fremantle(depending on where benny wants to play).
didak to crows straight swap for rutten.

daniel kerr, might stay at wc. think if there was one player that we might have a crack at, I think it would be him. not too sure tho.

I think Sydney will make a big play for an established player this year.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

pevfan wrote:Bah!!.... Seems we can talk the talk but just never seem to be able to actually walk the walk when it comes to recruiting coups. Like when Sheeds wanted to get Buddy and also Scotty West a few years back. Just pie in the sky stuff. All we ever seem to come up with are virtual has-beens with just the one season (if that) left in them.

The club is just way too conservative when it comes to spending $. Nothing new in that of course for Essendon, probably still got old war bonds still sitting in the coffers. When you think about it who was the last really big name 100+ game recruit we landed...was it all the way back to Lloydy??
Lloyd was traded as a youngster to us. We do get 100+ game recruits, eg barnes, murphy, campo amongt others.

How many big name players actually move around?
not very many at all. successful trades are usually are about identifying underperforming talent at clubs and swapping as such. I think we have been as successful as anyone.(eg Lloyd, McPhee, Michael, Barnes, Campo etc all proving positive trades for us).

BTW Noone was ever going to get buddy to move, but i reckon he costs hawthorn a little bit more than they would like to have to pay him. ditto west at the dogs...thats the real motivation by opposition clubs attempting to poach stars....drive up their value and make it hard for their opposition to then operate.

EFC is not more consertative than any other club at spending cash.

we blew a stack of cash and it cost us with mercs on a 5 year deal, hird was one of the highest paid players in the comp(if not the highest), I am pretty sure Lloyd and Lucas get a good cut as well.

Collingwood I think are pretty good traders and they do offer up talent for talent. Medhurst for Tarrant was a master trade by them. Certainly seemed risky at the time too.
Dizzy_69
Regular Senior Player

Post by Dizzy_69 »

Would love Rischitelli and or Sherman at Essendon
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

Filthy wrote:I refuse to get excited about "who's coming to Essendon" anymore.

We are the biggest "gunna's" in the AFL.

spot on. besides, even if we did manage to get anyone worthwhile - they'd probably get injured during pre-season. :evil:
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Filthy wrote:We are the biggest "gunna's" in the AFL.
Second biggest, i reckon, and now that Sheedy's gone i reckon we won't be as big "gunna's" as we used to be. Collingwood are the worst - every time a big name player is even a remote possibility of moving, Collingwood put their hands up. They're always looking for a "messiah" at Collingwood because for 50 years, with one fluke exception, they haven't ever been able to build a talented enough team to win a flag on their own accord.
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

No one wants to trade with EFC. We have made an art form of pissing off other teams by putting 'potental deals' on the table only to walk away at the eleventh hour.

This has happened every year in the pre-season swap-a-thon and every club knows it.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

hop wrote:No one wants to trade with EFC. We have made an art form of pissing off other teams by putting 'potental deals' on the table only to walk away at the eleventh hour.
And putting together ridiculous deals. I wish I'd been in the rooms when Sheedy offered Darren Walsh and our 2nd round pick for West. :D :shock:

Perhaps now that he is gone however, clubs will be more likely to deal with us? He was the master of bullshit.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Only under Sheedy - he was always too scared that a trade may go sour, a player may turn out to be a star elsewhere.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Windy_Hill wrote:

Only under Sheedy - he was always too scared that a trade may go sour, a player may turn out to be a star elsewhere.
And yet one of the all time great trades took place under his watch....Salmon to Hawthorn, D.Jarman to the Crows and Sean Wellman & Paul Barnard to Essendon.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
azza78
High Draft Pick
Location: Cairns, FNQ. Home of the mighty Cairns Draught, may it RIP

Post by azza78 »

Brown and Rischitelli won't move; both are just testing the waters to try and get more $ from Brisbane. And while both would be great pickups, we should be looking for an experienced backup ruckman or a young key defender before anything else.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

swoodley wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:

And yet one of the all time great trades took place under his watch....Salmon to Hawthorn, D.Jarman to the Crows and Sean Wellman & Paul Barnard to Essendon.
The John Barnes to Geelong - Sean Denham to Essendon for a Premiership wasn't bad either considering Barnes eventually came back to play in a Premiership as well.
Essendunny
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Stay away from Sherman....was good in his debut season, has been decidedly average ever since.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

As nice as it would be to have Kerr or Rischitelli at the club i can't really see it happening. Ess has missed out on a lot of plyers over the years and even Aker and Juddy chose other clubs over us.

While we do need a more mature bodied midfielder our priority should be in getting big bodied KPP for the defence and a ruckman to help Hille.
On the Rookie List

Post by 84859300 »

ealesy wrote:Stay away from Sherman....was good in his debut season, has been decidedly average ever since.
In years gone by, this trade would have been exactly the one we would have chased....as we were looking for an 18 of X-Factor players.

Thank goodness that silly time has passed us by.
First name: Mr
Second name: period
Last name: T
Dizzy_69
Regular Senior Player

Post by Dizzy_69 »

ealesy wrote:Stay away from Sherman....was good in his debut season, has been decidedly average ever since.
Injuries havent helped
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

I don't think essendon has been to sad to miss out on the poaches. In many instances I think we just go in to up the price the teams will have to play.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Sherman has suffered a little from Des Headland syndrome, only he's still had Power alongside and had his share of injury troubles. Shows some good signs in fits and spurts but hasn't been consistent lately by any stretch.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Is Nick Dal Santo an option???