kerr = on the market

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
tom9779
Club Captain

kerr = on the market

Post by tom9779 »

so it seems he is on the market...this article I believe.(given the detail).

Sydney I reckon will chase HARD.

Eagles demand top picks for Kerr

Greg Denham | August 28, 2008
WEST Coast yesterday put star midfielder Daniel Kerr on the market, but he comes at a substantial price as the Eagles are determined to play hardball over his future.

Kerr is contracted to the Eagles until the end of next year, but the club's demands for releasing the 25-year-old early include two top-10 picks in the national draft.

A club source revealed yesterday that any trade would require one pick under No4 in the draft and another selection before pick No10 as a starting point for a deal.

West Coast, with just four wins this season and sitting 15th with one round to play, appears certain to have the second pick in the November draft, behind likely wooden-spooner Melbourne.

In a move aimed at being proactive in the marketplace after being burned when it lost Chris Judd last season to Carlton for below market value, West Coast has suspended talks with Kerr's management until after the October player-exchange period.

Kerr's agent Colin Young did not return calls yesterday, but he had said this month that he had held talks with up to six opposition clubs regarding the future of his leading client.

West Coast chief executive Trevor Nisbett did not wish to comment on Kerr's future yesterday, other than to say the midfielder was a contracted player and he expected him to play with the Eagles next season.

But it is known that Nisbett has postponed formal contract discussions with Young until after trade week, which starts on October 6.

Kerr has completed the second year of a three-year contract with the Eagles, worth about $1.7million, and it was revealed yesterday that Young had approached West Coast at the start of this season for a contract extension.

It has been reported that Nisbett and Young are set to meet next week once West Coast's season is over, but the club has ruled out participating in a meeting to seek a contract extension for Kerr.

"We expect some clubs to come up with lame offers," a West Coast source said yesterday.

"If anyone's serious, it will need to be an exceptional offer.

"We had to give Chris Judd up for the third selection in last year's draft because he was out of contract, but Daniel Kerr is contracted.

"So we'd be entitled to another pick in the first three as well as an additional draft choice inside the top 10."

West Coast is gearing up for approaches from Essendon, Carlton, Sydney and Hawthorn. Richmond and Collingwood have also shown interest.

Kerr and his management have been sending out mixed messages for months, although Kerr has publicly stated many times, and as late as this week, that his preference is to remain in Perth.

"Daniel wants it all on his terms and that is not going to be the case," the Eagles source said. "Everyone thinks he's leaving, but we doubt whether any other club has the firepower to get him."

Kerr's season came to a premature end last month with his second suspension for the year. After playing just 11 games this season, he underwent knee surgery this month, which finished a season that has featured a number of below-par performances.

Last year he was also suspended twice, and missed the Eagles' final four games, including two finals, because of a finger injury.

Despite playing just 17 matches last year and being ineligible for the Brownlow Medal, Kerr still polled 22 votes to be equal second behind Geelong's Jimmy Bartel.

This month, Young said he expected a number of clubs to chase Kerr if he became available for a trade.

"I have meetings with every AFL club every four weeks and at some stages they have brought up Daniel Kerr's name," Young said.

Young said he expected a "flurry" of offers for Kerr once West Coast's season ends on Saturday against Geelong.

Chairman Mark Barnaba said in May that he expected Kerr to remain with the Eagles.

"I have to give credit to Daniel because he does get a lot of negative focus," Barnaba said.

"He's made a very mature and concerted effort to live the core values of the club."
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Re: kerr = on the market

Post by bomberdonnie »

I am unsure on what planet West Coast think they will get two top ten picks for Kerr
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

bomberdonnie wrote:I am unsure on what planet West Coast think they will get two top ten picks for Kerr
I think they know that but have had a gutful of Kerr and/or his manager trying to control the situation. He still has a year left on his contract and so will have to stay put unless a team is stupid enough to try and meet those requirements.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Hardly going to say anything less as an opening gambit, are they...

They'll end up settling for Lovett and a second rounder. (I hope).
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

So who's going to have two picks inside the top ten to actually give them ... Melbourne, that's it!
And they're not trading away their first pick.

I'm hearing that the Bombers are very interested, but want to give players, not picks, so at this stage it probably won't happen.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

Gumbleton's name might come up in a trade.

He was number 2 in the best draft since 01 and a west australian the eagles were/are very keen on.

We can't and won't lose our heads on Kerr, he does come with baggage.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

No one will have two picks in the top 10 so it would have to involve a 3 or 4 way trade....

As Swoodley says they are probably just saying stupid shit like that to make it harder for Kerr to leave
ZRS
Regular Senior Player

Post by ZRS »

tell em their dream'n
48.2 sismis to ZRS, SIX, ???!!! Its coming towards the commentary box Im leaving!!!
48.3 sismis to ZRS, FOUR, Who needs Bradman when weve got ZRS
48.4 sismis to ZRS, FOUR, Brillian cover drive by ZRS
48.6 sismis to ZRS, SIX, Display of Raw power and brutality by ZRS
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Filthy wrote:Ambit Claim.

Anybody who doesn't want Kerr..... under the microscope of the Melbourne media......hasn't been watching Footy for 5 years.

An ANZAC medal vs a Premiership Medal = no brainer.
Undisciplined and erratic. Regular visits to the tribunal and has off field dramas such as assaulting a taxi driver and being allegedly associated with drugs. Tool. Melbourne media or WA media matters not. You don't like Lovett because he's missed some training sessions and has a previous problem with assaulting his ex-girlfriend. If you don't like that, fair enough. But don't advocate Kerr as some "gun" recruit.
Essendunny
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

tom9779 wrote:Gumbleton's name might come up in a trade.

He was number 2 in the best draft since 01 and a west australian the eagles were/are very keen on.

We can't and won't lose our heads on Kerr, he does come with baggage.
Horse pills anyone? Wonder how he'll get them through customs...

:wink:
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Filthy wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
Filthy wrote:Ambit Claim.

Anybody who doesn't want Kerr..... under the microscope of the Melbourne media......hasn't been watching Footy for 5 years.

An ANZAC medal vs a Premiership Medal = no brainer.
Undisciplined and erratic. Regular visits to the tribunal and has off field dramas such as assaulting a taxi driver and being allegedly associated with drugs. Tool. Melbourne media or WA media matters not. You don't like Lovett because he's missed some training sessions and has a previous problem with assaulting his ex-girlfriend. If you don't like that, fair enough. But don't advocate Kerr as some "gun" recruit.
Oh for Chrissakes Ben, when I have said "I don't like Lovey."??? Never.

I have only posted a journo reporting stuff he must have got from Club insiders yesterday and I replied to a post saying basically what Knighta is reported as saying. I love Lovett in full flight and would to see him playing like R3 every week but apparently there is internal issues we don't necessarily know about. I would love him to say if he can get his shit together. I do doubt he has the grey matter to do it however. :(

But Kerr even with his "form" is still a gun.
But why don't you think Lovett has "the grey matter" to sort himself out when Kerr has had on field issues such as head butting, testicle groping and numerous off the ball striking offences? And to add to that, he's had a spreadsheet of off field issues such as;

being involved in a brawl with team mate Ben Cousins at a Perth nightclub, in which Cousins punched Kerr in the face during the club's end of season celebrations. Later the same night, Kerr pushed Cousins down a flight of stairs, breaking his arm.

In 2004 Kerr was charged with forging a prescription. Kerr was given the blank prescription by a person at a party and went to a 24-hour chemist to buy 50 valium tablets. The court fined him a total of $400 and made a spent conviction order. He was also fined $5,000 by the club and was be required to complete community service throughout the football season.

In January 2007 Kerr was charged with assault following a party in Perth. Kerr is understood to have been at a farewell party for his sister's friend in Attadale before trouble erupted shortly after midnight. It was understood that Kerr's sister complained about being touched inappropriately by another partygoer and a fight erupted soon after on the street. An 18-year-old man suffered a broken nose and broken tooth and was taken to Fremantle Hospital by a friend for treatment.Kerr was charged with two counts of assault occasioning bodily harm. Kerr was fined $2,000 for the major assault charge. His father has not yet faced court.

On 25 February 2007 Kerr was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct after an altercation with a taxi driver. Kerr was later arrested again while at a training session, and further charged with assault occasioning bodily harm and wilful damage. Police prosecutor Gary Flynn told the court Kerr saw the taxi and jumped screaming and shouting onto the boot. The taxi driver got out of his car and was attacked by Kerr, Sgt Flynn said. Kerr's lawyer John Prior said his client had gone out to dinner and "consumed too much alcohol" and "made a crucial bad judgement call". Kerr pleaded guilty to the charges and was fined.

On 23 March 2007 information was released that implicated Kerr in drug dealing over the phone. Kerr's conversations with convicted drug dealer Shane Waters relating to a "big bag of horse shit" were recorded by police phone taps nearly four years ago.

He's a grub.

If our club struggles to change Lovett's "ways", then what hope would we have to change that prick?
Essendunny
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

Another thing you need to find out before going after Kerr.

Is he one of the six AFL players on two strikes?

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/ ... 42,00.html

If he is, then it could turn into a disaster if he gets caught doing one wrong thing in Melbourne.
doogle
Regular Senior Player

Post by doogle »

Not keen on him no matter how good he is. I have a son I want to help follow EFC.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

He comes with more baggage than the carousel at Tullamarine.
I agree with you, doogle. NO THANKS!!
dheal
Top Up Player

Post by dheal »

Let him go to the Filth or Scum. Both clubs don't mind having scumbags & less than quality players or officials. They will have to give up high draft picks & players. High draft picks are like gold for this draft. I think Knighta wants to build a quality side with quality young players so he will go for draft picks. As for Lovey, i'm aware that he has to have minders from the club to keep an eye on him so this talk about trading him could be a wake up call to get his act together or he is OUT next year. We have seen that Knights & the leadership group won't tolerate his attitude any longer, as they should'nt, when the rest of the group are acting in a professional manner.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

dheal wrote:Let him go to the Filth or Scum. Both clubs don't mind having scumbags & less than quality players or officials. They will have to give up high draft picks & players. High draft picks are like gold for this draft. I think Knighta wants to build a quality side with quality young players so he will go for draft picks. As for Lovey, i'm aware that he has to have minders from the club to keep an eye on him so this talk about trading him could be a wake up call to get his act together or he is OUT next year. We have seen that Knights & the leadership group won't tolerate his attitude any longer, as they should'nt, when the rest of the group are acting in a professional manner.

Is this draft a particular good draft, or is it just based on the fact that GC and then Western Sydney will have the lions share of the draft from 2009 onwards?

There is no point is us placing a bunch of 17/18 yr olds on our list who don't have the potential to play AFL level footy.

What we want to be doing, is putting our good young talent all onto 3/4 year contracts. Lock them in so we do not lose them, or if we lose them we get something for them.
Makaveli
High Draft Pick

Post by Makaveli »

Like Filthy said, when have we ever landed a high profile star player at Essendon. I'd expect if we did make an offer it would be pick 5 + Lovett. Or Gumbleton and our 2nd round pick. But I doubt we will offer anything decent.