Bring Back The Biff?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Ronny Rotten
High Draft Pick

Bring Back The Biff?

Post by Ronny Rotten »

After reading all the interesting posts on BT & being a loyal, one eyed bomber i thought i would join in.
I was discussing with a few of my former colleagues Roger the hitman, Stan the man,Ducky & TD about how our great game has been turned into netball played with an oval ball by the AFL & the maggots. We lament about how footy has gone soft.I not talking king hits but genuine rugged characters playing tough hard footy, not the frilly stuff where "outside players"rack up uncontested possessions. How push & shove, flying the flag, melees etc. should be tolerated & players not being fined, as they sure liven up proceedings. No one gets hurt in these incidents.
Seriously what would crybaby Reiwoldt do if he saw Ronnie Andrews or Bluey Shelton coming to stand him at the start of a game? He would shit himself!! Would Buddy get as many marks & kicks if he knew he would be severely dealt with every time he approached the ball. I know all teams had their "protectors " , Dipper, the Hyphen,Big Carl etc. but they made for tense footy & not the boring thrashings that are happening more often these days,especially in the finals.
Some thoughts to ponder as our season has finished & we endure a boring finals series. Fair Dinkum lets go straight to a playoff between Whorethorn & Geelong so we don't have to go through the motions of teams struggling to match Geelong or the Dawks. I'm glad we are team building at the moment as it's pointless to be in the finals at the moment . The Bombers will rise again soon as the Cats/Dawks decline & decline they will!!!
Cheers
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Re: Bring Back The Biff?

Post by Windy_Hill »

Couldnt agree more.

Even since 2000, the game has lost its way.

Its getting to being like basketball on a 160m long court!!!

What made Essendon so great in 2000 was its absolute agression at the ball. Wallis, Hardwick, Barnard, Long, Solomon, Jason Johnson, Mark Johnson, Hird, Barnes, Bewick. All tough as nails. The game has passed thes palyers and players like them.

Not condoning thuggery, but one on one, man on man contests, shirtfronts and hip and shoulders, crunching tackles and pack marks - wouldnt mind seeing a little bit of that
nomolos
Club Captain

Post by nomolos »

Learn to Space Paragraphs.
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

I don't mind the biff but I'm convinced Hirdy would never have made it to 150 games if it had been a widespread now as it was in the 80s. He would've been targetted and killed at an early age :shock:

Had I been an obsessed Solly supporter I'd be pro biff :mrgreen:
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
Ronny Rotten
High Draft Pick

Post by Ronny Rotten »

Need'nt worry about Hirdy. He was very capable of looking after himself plus he had the skills & the class to not get into trouble. He was a champion & champs in all era's survived despite the attention, eg Reynolds, Hutchy etc.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

Are you a rogue member of the Sex Pistols or have you reversed your name?
Ronny Rotten
High Draft Pick

Post by Ronny Rotten »

Yeah, Sex Pistols average talent but they played tough. Bombers have raw talent & if they play tough we will be in the finals soon.!
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

nah, the lions team 2001-2003 had plenty of mongrel in it.

port/wet toast and the swans premiership teams werent overly soft either.

the aints never win because they are not hard enough at it.

a bit of mongrel still wins flags.

talk it up rotten ronny :wink:
CameronClayton
High Draft Pick

Post by CameronClayton »

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/footys ... -4cy5.html

Personally I agree with this bloke from the Age. It's all a matter of fitness, athleticism & speed now, & football ability 2nd.

Paul VanDerHaar wouldn't get a game nowadays, or Ronnie for that matter - is that a good thing?