Defensive 6 - 2007

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Defensive 6 - 2007

Post by Windy_Hill »

Our Defense was our Achilles Heel in 2006

Still weak in my opinion although some possible options in Laycock as a CHB and Thornton perhaps if we nab him in PSD.

ANY THOUGHTS ON THE STARTING SIX?

Candidates

Tall Defenders

Fletcher
Bradley
Lee
Lucas
McPhee
Thornton
Laycock

Med/Small Defenders

NLM
Welsh
McVeigh
Cole
M Johnson
Slattery
Nash

(assuming we take Thornton in PSD)
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

i think your right in having lucas in the back line, as much as i love watching him in the forward line we need him down back
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

Thornton? I think the spin is greater than the inividual - however if available in the PSD - and within salary cap - GO FOR IT!

Clearly the backline will be our Archilles for 2007 - (unless all fit)
Sol
Top Up Player

Post by Sol »

The Hawks have agreed to 1 mil over 3 years for Thornton. I dont rate him at all at that rate so I would hope we let him slip through.

I dont think our options are that bad with Lucus back at CHB. Surely McPhee will have a better season and Bradley and Lee can only get better.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

I hope we don't take Thornton.

B:McVeigh Fletcher M Johnson
HB: NLM McPhee Slattery

Our biggest problem is CHB.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Agree that our big problem is CHB.

I'm hoping Lee comes on and can fill the role. Would also like to see Lucy get some game time.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Anyone think Laycock can be turned into a CHB???
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Why do we always try turning our ruckman into something else? Or at least consider it?

He can float across half back (so can anyone), but he's not a CHB. Too many players have had their careers stuffed around by playing them out of position, moving them all over the park, etc when they should just play their position and stay there.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Henno at CHB, christ we tried turning a him into a ruckman and it failed why try and turn a ruckman into a CHB?
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

boncer34 wrote:Henno at CHB, christ we tried turning a him into a ruckman and it failed why try and turn a ruckman into a CHB?
You couldnt turn Henneman to the right without him falling over and hurting himself.

The reason we tried turning Henneman into a ruckman because Sheeds discovered that he was a shit backman and forward.

Probably got threatened by the mayor of Bendigo that if Henneman was going to play at Bendigo, then they would disband from the Essendon Football Club.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Welsh . Fletcher . M Johnson
NLM . Lee/Hansen? . McPhee
AnarchicBomber
Regular Senior Player

Post by AnarchicBomber »

I don't know about Centre Half Back but for the love of God let's get Austin Lucy into our senior side! From what I can tell he's got courage and skill.
Crowny
On the Rookie List

Post by Crowny »

I reckon start with

Nash. Fletcher. M Johnson
NLM. Lee/Hansen. McPhee

Theres othes that can be thrown in there like Slattery, Cole?, Spike, Bradley (3rd tall)
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

If we get Hansen, is he ready for an immediate year at CHB?

I'm hoping Lee gets more game time. I liked what I saw of him and he'll improve with exposure to the different pace of AFL footy.

It's his time now.
DYSON#2

Post by DYSON#2 »

thornton is over rated.
id rather play Bolts at CHB than him.
Crowny
On the Rookie List

Post by Crowny »

I hope Lee gets more game time as well. I reckon he should have got more this year. The club needs a CHB bad so if they dont play Lee theyd better get someone like Hansen or Gumbleton
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

My selected backline would be;

H. Slattery, D. Fletcher, M. McVeigh
A. McPhee, S. Lucas, N. Lovett-Murray

That to me is a solid attacking backline (take note Andrew Welsh). Naturally during the course of the game we will see rotations in the back 6 that should include A. Lee, M. Johnson and Jay Nash (really love the look of this boy).

Note: I haven't included the likes of Bradley and Cole because I am yet to be convinced of their value in defence. I have also left Welsh out of it, because IMO, he is our problem down there, not the solution.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

That's a fair line up BD, but I'd have Nash in for Slats.
Nash has looked very composed in his few games. He has impressed me as much as Monfries has, maybe more.
Rusty1978
Top Up Player

Post by Rusty1978 »

Couldn't agree more BD. That line up does it for me, plus your rotations that you have mentioned. Obviously during the year we will have injuries/bad form and so forth, so maybe Lee or one of our new draftees will fill a vacant position.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Thornton has re-signed with the blues for 3 years so that rules him out... CHB is going to be a problem, solly has gone and Bradley and McPhee never look comfortable there. I wouldn't throw Lee down there either. Maybe Lucas can go back now that Johns has improved and we get Lloyd back.