Etihad Stadium

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
karmabomber
Top Up Player

Etihad Stadium

Post by karmabomber »

Telstra Dome renamed Etihad StadiumScott Spits
October 23, 2008 - 12:04PM
"Melbourne's Telstra Dome will be known as Etihad Stadium from March.

Etihad Airways, the national airline of the United Arab Emirates, is the official airline of the London-based Chelsea Football Club."

What the f***????????????

Does this mean the stadium will Sheik, rattle and roll???????

What next? First Vodafone Arena becomes Hisense Arena (what's a hisense??), now this? Man U mightn't be that pleased that we play at a stadium with a sponsor linked to their opposition (Chelsea!). At least Eddie Everywhere will be happy! Maybe we could swap with Collingwood and go back to "the G" as our home ground!
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Re: Etihad Stadium

Post by robbie67 »

Cant wait to get "Hahmed" in the Locker Room. Apparently Salim Dusty will be playing the National Anthem at out first home game next year.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

robbie67 wrote:Apparently Salim Dusty will be playing the National Anthem at out first home game next year.
....After performing out the back of burka.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

jimmyc1985 wrote:
robbie67 wrote:Apparently Salim Dusty will be playing the National Anthem at out first home game next year.
....After performing out the back of burka.
I've been to Burka......but I've never been to me.
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

Meh, it will always be the Dome.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

This is the kind of naming rights deal that actually makes sense.

I didn't even know that there was an Etihad airways before I heard this story and now it's front page news. Good on them.

Telstra stadium? Great waste of marketing money.
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

Weird one that. Still, at least it's not the Dome any more. What part of that stadium is actually a dome? :?
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

I always thought Emirates was the international carrier for the United Arab Emirates. I have never heard of Etihad Airways.
Essendunny
dheal
Top Up Player

Post by dheal »

Does mean ladies attending have to wear a Burka & will they have them in team colours?

I wonder if our name ,The Bombers, had anything to do with the naming rights decision?
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

BenDoolan wrote:I always thought Emirates was the international carrier for the United Arab Emirates. I have never heard of Etihad Airways.
Well as Bombertalks's correpondent in the United Arab Emirates I can confirm that Etihad is the Abu Dhabi carrier. Emirates Airlines flies out of Dubai

Did you know there are more than 5000 Emirates hosties here in Dubai which makes for interesting times in the local bars
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Windy_Hill wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:I always thought Emirates was the international carrier for the United Arab Emirates. I have never heard of Etihad Airways.
Well as Bombertalks's correpondent in the United Arab Emirates I can confirm that Etihad is the Abu Dhabi carrier. Emirates Airlines flies out of Dubai

Did you know there are more than 5000 Emirates hosties here in Dubai which makes for interesting times in the local bars
Great place Dubai. I was there in 1998 on a World Airline Cricket Tournament with Ansett. And yes, we did see heeeeeaps of expariate hostesses at local bars (I think the main one we went to was "Rock Bottoms"). There was another bar (forget the name) that was littered with young stunning Russian girls looking for a good time. That was an absolute eye opener.
Essendunny
nomolos
Club Captain

Post by nomolos »

Random -"so where is Essendon playing this week"
Me - "At ET stadium"

Problem adverted. :roll:
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

BenDoolan wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:

Great place Dubai. I was there in 1998 on a World Airline Cricket Tournament with Ansett. And yes, we did see heeeeeaps of expariate hostesses at local bars (I think the main one we went to was "Rock Bottoms"). There was another bar (forget the name) that was littered with young stunning Russian girls looking for a good time. That was an absolute eye opener.
The Russian girls are all renters but gee whiz, they all look like Anna Kournikova. You wouldnt recognise the place today Benny, 1998 is almots like pre-history in the context of Dubai. You'll be pleased to know that Rock Bottom is still alive and well.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Windy_Hill wrote: The Russian girls are all renters but gee whiz, they all look like Anna Kournikova. You wouldnt recognise the place today Benny, 1998 is almots like pre-history in the context of Dubai. You'll be pleased to know that Rock Bottom is still alive and well.
Yes, a lot has happened in 10 years! The big "sail" hotel on the man made island (near Jumerah beach) was still under construction when I was there. Now there is a massive indoor ski resort (in a steaming hot desert!), islands designed as a world map, islands designed as a palm tree, and god know how many other enormous constructions since. I believe they also want to construct the biggest ever building on earth....well.....because they can!

Yes, those Russian girls....or renters as you say. We went to this bizarre "nightclub" and as soon as we walked in, they flocked over and latched onto us and started stroking our arms saying "you big strong boys.......you sportsman?" Like WOW, WTF???? Couldn't believe our luck! But it wasn't long before we realised who we were dealing with. Can't remember the bloody name of the joint, but "Sensations" rings a bell.....only because what was inside reflected what was promised on the outside :lol:

Rock Bottom eh. Was there virtually every night for the 2 week period. Lots of Irish hostesses working for Emirates when I was there. Great place, great memories!
Essendunny
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

I'll bet everyone here 50 bucks that the punters will end up nicknaming it Jihad Stadium.
Ronny Rotten
High Draft Pick

Post by Ronny Rotten »

Does mean jihad..... er Et er......Etihad stadium will be dry.. If so & i can't have a beer i will start my own jihad...
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Staggy wrote:I'll bet everyone here 50 bucks that the punters will end up nicknaming it Jihad Stadium.
That would be an appropriate place for the "Bombers" to play.
Essendunny
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

BenDoolan wrote: Can't remember the bloody name of the joint, but "Sensations" rings a bell.....only because what was inside reflected what was promised on the outside :lol:
Wasnt Cyclone was it?
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

BenDoolan wrote:
Staggy wrote:I'll bet everyone here 50 bucks that the punters will end up nicknaming it Jihad Stadium.
That would be an appropriate place for the "Bombers" to play.
Yaeh, funny you should say that, and continuing on the Dubai banter, I am sure the secret police here are watching my every move seeing as I am forever typing Bombertalk into my google search on the office computer!!!!

Was in a lift during the season talking to another Aussie mate and made a comment about how the Bombers "would blow them away on the weekend"!! Well a couple of the Arab boys in the lift looked up with big smiles on their face as if to say "welcome to the cause brother"!!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Windy_Hill wrote:
BenDoolan wrote: Can't remember the bloody name of the joint, but "Sensations" rings a bell.....only because what was inside reflected what was promised on the outside :lol:
Wasnt Cyclone was it?
That's it!

Don't know where I got Sensations from :? But I guess I was there only that one time.
Essendunny