Laidley and Makepeace.

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Filthy

Laidley and Makepeace.

Post by Filthy »

At a school function yesterday and I spoke with one of the teachers husband who is best mates with Makepeace having grown up with him. Makepeace is a mad Essendon supporter since birth.

He was 2nd B&F in 2005 with Norf and then had a major falling out with Laidley who I reckon is a raving lunatic and he spent most of the year in the 2's because of a "youth policy"....what youth policy at Norf with the Rawlings/Hay debacles of the last 2 years and the 4 Draft picks they gave up to get them (ie kids).

Makepeace is apparently desparate to play at Essendon. He is tough, quick and good on both sides of the body. He is only 27. We could do worse in the PSD.
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

But, we could also do better which is the major factor. He is not the type of player we need at the moment.
Filthy

Post by Filthy »

danstar84 wrote:But, we could also do better which is the major factor. He is not the type of player we need at the moment.
I guess its a case of wait and see whats available Dan :wink:

Just thought it an interesting yarn.
dodgey
Champion of Essendon

Post by dodgey »

going to be VERY interesting to see what is around in the PSD....

I'l re-visit this thread and thoughts on this then
bowzer
Top Up Player

Post by bowzer »

if we did pick him up there wouldnt be a spot on the team for him unless there were a major amount of injuries to our backmen, PLUS we have an abundance of running backmen its not funny ie Mcphee, NLM, Mcveigh, Welsh, Nash, MJ (when need be), Cole and Bradley
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

could do alot worse. Picking him up would also free up MJ and McVeigh to play in the middle more.

don't necessarily have to use a PSD pick on him either. Telling him to nominate for the National Draft and we can use a late round pick on him.

A 5th round pick for Makepeace would be a bargain.

And with the exit of the 'tough' nut Solly, he would help replenish are hard at it stocks, without all the stupid free kicks and 50m penalties that Solly would give away.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

bowzer wrote:if we did pick him up there wouldnt be a spot on the team for him unless there were a major amount of injuries to our backmen, PLUS we have an abundance of running backmen its not funny ie Mcphee, NLM, Mcveigh, Welsh, Nash, MJ (when need be), Cole and Bradley
Like I said, picking him up would free McVeigh and MJ to play in the middle and forward line and personally for mine he would be a better optin than Welsh or Cole in a back pocket.

If we had him my starting 6 defenders would be Makepeace, Fletcher, NLM, McPhee, Lee and Nash.

With MJ and McVeigh in the guts or up forward.
Crowny
On the Rookie List

Post by Crowny »

I reckon the club has enough running backman types. Plus with the stage the club is at I dont reckon they should be going after over 25 cast-offs from other clubs.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

He seems to be a pretty good kick which would mean Welsh would have some work to do.
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

Filthy, I reckon he's worth a good look, especially come our last pick in the national draft if we've covered our other needs/wants.

He'd more than likely go straight in to our starting 22, he runs hard, creates and has a lovely left boot on him. Could also be used in a tagging role if need be.

I was very surprised he got delisted, my Brother works with a number of Kangaroo fans and they could not believe he was sacked.
Filthy

Post by Filthy »

bombercol wrote:Filthy, I reckon he's worth a good look, especially come our last pick in the national draft if we've covered our other needs/wants.

He'd more than likely go straight in to our starting 22, he runs hard, creates and has a lovely left boot on him. Could also be used in a tagging role if need be.

I was very surprised he got delisted, my Brother works with a number of Kangaroo fans and they could not believe he was sacked.
Big blue with Laidley Col. :wink:
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

If we are not going to challenge for a flag in the next 2-3 years why would we draft a 27 year old. If we were in the position Freo are in where they are a couple of players away from making a GF Makepiece might come into the picture.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

I'd certainly be interested in him. He's a good solid contributor. He's not a game breaker or an out and out superstar, but he is a workhorse and a good one at that.
Rusty1978
Top Up Player

Post by Rusty1978 »

He would be worth a look for the PSD, but i think we should wait and see what happens around the place in the next month or so regarding the national draft and also other clubs delistings. See what happens!!!!!
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Western Red wrote:If we are not going to challenge for a flag in the next 2-3 years why would we draft a 27 year old. If we were in the position Freo are in where they are a couple of players away from making a GF Makepiece might come into the picture.
My thoughts also.
Stick to the super draft this year.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

F111 wrote:
Western Red wrote:If we are not going to challenge for a flag in the next 2-3 years why would we draft a 27 year old. If we were in the position Freo are in where they are a couple of players away from making a GF Makepiece might come into the picture.
My thoughts also.
Stick to the super draft this year.
3rded.

Even in St Kilda or Melbourne's position (ie 5-8) I would think 27 yos are good pick ups, but at second last (and only on percentage) - NO.
Sol
Top Up Player

Post by Sol »

This bullshit about not being in a window of opportunity is rubbish.

If we arnt going to challenge for a flag, why is Hird playing on? Why dont we trade Lucus and Lloyd for some first rd picks? Why do we keep anyone over the age of 25?

BECAUSE WE WILL CHALLENGE FOR THE FLAG EVERY YEAR!!

The baby bombers came from obscurity and won a GF. Get the right group together with the right game plan and we could be challenging in 2 years or even next year in all the right circumstances.

I dont care what age they are, we take the best value player we can get in the PSD and if that is makepeace then so be it.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Why didn't anyone say the obvious: "I guess Laidley was unable to make peace with Troy"? Or, a little more cryptically, "Troy is a little gem definitely worth his weight"?

Both woeful calls that needed to be made.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

jimmyc1985 wrote:Why didn't anyone say the obvious: "I guess Laidley was unable to make peace with Troy"? Or, a little more cryptically, "Troy is a little gem definitely worth his weight"?

Both woeful calls that needed to be made.
No they didn't.
Rusty1978
Top Up Player

Post by Rusty1978 »

Sol wrote:This bullshit about not being in a window of opportunity is rubbish.

If we arnt going to challenge for a flag, why is Hird playing on? Why dont we trade Lucus and Lloyd for some first rd picks? Why do we keep anyone over the age of 25?

BECAUSE WE WILL CHALLENGE FOR THE FLAG EVERY YEAR!!

The baby bombers came from obscurity and won a GF. Get the right group together with the right game plan and we could be challenging in 2 years or even next year in all the right circumstances.

I dont care what age they are, we take the best value player we can get in the PSD and if that is makepeace then so be it.
=D> Brilliant. You are a true Bomber!!