Stanton

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
nathanskinner
Top Up Player

Stanton

Post by nathanskinner »

This guy seems to cop it for various reasons when the whole side isnt performing, after reading the new bomber mag just wanted to highlight how much his overall games has improved for the club. I know he played the most games, but regardless he was top 5 in most, if not every stat category. Some stats surprised me, some didn't. #1 Inside 50, and #2 Rebound 50 is a great stat and shows how much the guy runs. People have been critical on his lack of goals, goal assists and tackles. I think his shown improvement in those areas of his game.

#1 - Disposals
#1 - Handballs Received
#4 - Clearances
#1 - Short Kicks
#1 - Handballs Received
#1 - Inside 50
#1 - Long Kicks
#1 - General Kicks
#2 - Loose Ball Gets
#3 equal - Goals
#3 - Marks
#2 - Free Kicks For
#4 - Tackles
#2 - Uncontested Marks
#2 - Rebound 50
#2 - Handballs
#2 - Goal Assists

I believe when our midfield develops, and him and Jobe are not always the number 1 and 2 targets of the opposition he can really do some damage.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: Stanton

Post by BenDoolan »

And 3rd in the Best & Fairest. He's probably finished top 5 in 4 of the past 5 years.
Last edited by BenDoolan on Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Essendunny
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Anyone who doesn't think that Stanton is elite is a moron... Or gringo
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

bomberdonnie wrote:Anyone who doesn't think that Stanton is elite is a moron... Or gringo
I don't think he is elite yet.

Very Very good player but elite players lift there side and drag them over the line and Stants hasn't done that yet. I think there are less than 20 elite players in the comp though.

He is still only 22 though and will get better when he gets more help.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Can be frustrating from time to time, but you cannot argue with those stats. Believe that he really focussed on his defensive side this year which was apparent.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

nathanskinner wrote:This guy seems to cop it for various reasons when the whole side isnt performing, after reading the new bomber mag just wanted to highlight how much his overall games has improved for the club. I know he played the most games, but regardless he was top 5 in most, if not every stat category. Some stats surprised me, some didn't. #1 Inside 50, and #2 Rebound 50 is a great stat and shows how much the guy runs. People have been critical on his lack of goals, goal assists and tackles. I think his shown improvement in those areas of his game.

#1 - Disposals
#1 - Handballs Received
#4 - Clearances
#1 - Short Kicks
#1 - Handballs Received
#1 - Inside 50
#1 - Long Kicks
#1 - General Kicks
#2 - Loose Ball Gets
#3 equal - Goals
#3 - Marks
#2 - Free Kicks For
#4 - Tackles
#2 - Uncontested Marks
#2 - Rebound 50
#2 - Handballs
#2 - Goal Assists

I believe when our midfield develops, and him and Jobe are not always the number 1 and 2 targets of the opposition he can really do some damage.
Until he can improve his tackling efforts, he's crap in my opinion
Lenni
Top Up Player

Post by Lenni »

Stanton is a good player, but if you look on the next page of that mag at ineffective kicks and clanger kicks, you will see he has alot of room for improvement
nomolos
Club Captain

Post by nomolos »

The most of the stats in the Bomber magazine was the hardball gets.

Hille lead the hardball gets and Laycock was 5th on the list.

Whats that say about the team.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Lies, damn lies and statistics.

In this case, all three. They are aggregates.

Stanton had a decent season - not spectacular - and leads in those categories predominantly because he played nearly every game.

He will be a superstar but we're going to have to wait until he's 24/25. Until then we're just going to have to be happy that we've got a very talented kid who works on his flaws.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

andrewb wrote:Lies, damn lies and statistics.

In this case, all three. They are aggregates.

Stanton had a decent season - not spectacular - and leads in those categories predominantly because he played nearly every game.

He will be a superstar but we're going to have to wait until he's 24/25. Until then we're just going to have to be happy that we've got a very talented kid who works on his flaws.
To me he is a Gary Foulds type player - useful without being brilliant - but better than workmanlike. Foulds went on to play 300 consistent games for the Dons without threatening the Brownlow or Chricton score board
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Stats whore. :wink:

I don't think he'll be a superstar, as he doesn't have that great burst of speed that the best midfielders have these days, nor does he go in super hard for clearances.

But I think he will become a very good player, provided he further improves his tackling and pushing back, and as our younger midfielders get more experience and improve, less focus will be on him, letting him have a better run. ATM he seems to be our most tagged player.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
nathanskinner
Top Up Player

Post by nathanskinner »

I personally dont feel he had the greatest of seasons either.. but either did the club really. The stats were just their to show what he could do when he becomes the player we all hope he will become.. i.e harder at the ball, better defensively, more scoreboard pressure, better foot skills etc. This year he improved.. it was evident in his goal kicking, goal assists and tackling numbers. The hard running and inside/rebound 50's were always a part of his game.. now his kicking has improved his starting to do some damage to the opposition. I still feel his the best young midfielder at our club.. the next 2/3 years will show if he can be one of the best in the league.

P.S just saw a pic of him from preseason training on here, he seems to have gotten bigger. good signs.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

[quote="nathanskinner"]I personally dont feel he had the greatest of seasons either.. but either did the club really.[/quote]

He finished top 3 in our B&F - behind Hille and Lloyd who were both outstanding for large portions of the year.