William Ellis Green aka 'WEG' passes away

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

William Ellis Green aka 'WEG' passes away

Post by paddyl90 »

LEGENDARY cartoonist William Ellis Green died this morning, aged 85.

Known to most by his initials - WEG - his iconic footy premiership posters were a Grand Final tradition for more than 50 years.

The posters began in 1954 when Footscray won their first and only premiership.

Since then the famous posters, originally sold for two shillings by The Herald and later the Herald Sun, have raised more than $2 million for the Royal Children's Hospital.

So determined was WEG to contribute to the hospital appeal that he discharged himself from hospital a week before this year's Grand Final to make sure he could draw the posters.

Long-time friend and business partner Geoff Bridgeman said doctors told WEG he would not last more than a day if he left the hospital, but WEG wanted to draw the posters.

"There were two things he wanted to do, one was to draw the posters and the second was to get to the Herald Sun shop to do the signings the morning after the Grand Final," he said.

Mr Bridgeman said WEG was like a father to him.

"Everyone he has touched loved him," he said.

"He was very family oriented, he loved his family, his kids, grandkids and great grandkids.

"I think he just wanted to see Christmas out, to see all the family."

WEG joined The Herald in 1946, filling in for political cartoonist Sammy Wells who was on six weeks leave, and spent 40 years at the paper.

But when he retired from the paper in 1986, he continued working as a caricaturist and illustrator with his work appearing in cricket books by Max Walker, on stamps and in children's books.

And of course the famous premiership posters continued.

So coveted is the memorabilia that one collector paid up to $5000 for Collingwood's 1958 premiership poster.

The Royal Children's Hospital Good Friday Appeal executive director Christine Unsworth said WEG's posters raised more than $2 million for the appeal.

"He was a wonderful supporter of the Good Friday Appeal for decades.

"His contribution has been magnificent."

Herald & Weekly Times managing director Peter Blunden paid tribute to WEG, saying the company was proud of its long association with the artist.

"Nothing is more synonymous with Melbourne and football than a WEG poster,'' said Mr Blunden.

"But WEG will be fondly remembered not only as an iconic artist but as a great Australian, generous and loyal."

WEG passed away this morning at his Heathmont home with his wife of 63 years, Joan, beside him.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/ ... 62,00.html

Had a good innings. Loved all his posters of our premierships i have the 2000 one and some other various ones along the way. R.I.P :wink:
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Re: William Ellis Green aka 'WEG' passes away

Post by swoodley »

Now here was a man who deserves a place in any AFL hall of fame.

I still remember the joy of buying the '84 poster within minutes of walking out of the MCG after we had won the game.

That and the '85 poster covered a few holes in my bedroom door that mysteriously appeared after arguments with my dad :oops: [-X :lol:
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

Very sad indeed. Got my 93 and 2000 WEG posters ready for framing actually.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

Terrible news, great to know he was an Essendon fan, the joy he would have got from our premierships and drawing the poster after each one would have put a big smile of his face, and many others.

R.I.P mate
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Jazz_84 wrote:Terrible news, great to know he was an Essendon fan, the joy he would have got from our premierships and drawing the poster after each one would have put a big smile of his face, and many others.

R.I.P mate
Well not necessarily. You see, he drew posters for both Grand Finalists before the match was played and obviously not knowing which team would win. You can get the odd rare copy of the losing team's 'winning poster'
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

oh well throwing away the losing teams posters after an Essendon flag would have been joyful aswell :wink:
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

very sad, iconic australian.

BTW that 1954 footscray poster on an original print would be worth a mint.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Sad to see.Even us WEST AUSSIES know about his Posters and Wide Held Respect in the Community.

As for the Losing Posters,didn't they end up on the walls of the MOONEE VALLEY SPORTS CLUB(I stand corrected as to the official name)?

Seeing some clips of our MAD MONDAY from 1993,shows us the Posters behind LONGY and SEAN DENHAM.With our 1990 Lost Flag up there amongst them. :(
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

grassy1 wrote:Sad to see.Even us WEST AUSSIES know about his Posters and Wide Held Respect in the Community.

As for the Losing Posters,didn't they end up on the walls of the MOONEE VALLEY SPORTS CLUB(I stand corrected as to the official name)?

Seeing some clips of our MAD MONDAY from 1993,shows us the Posters behind LONGY and SEAN DENHAM.With our 1990 Lost Flag up there amongst them. :(
Found this on the web

An institution in Melbourne is this series of posters issued immediately after each VFL/AFL grand final showing a caricature of the winning team drawn by WEG. The first poster was released in 1954 as the cover sheet to bundles of newspapers, and then sold at various outlets, including outside the ground on grand final day, ever since. The older posters are extremely rare and even more rare are the losing team grand final posters which were mostly destroyed once the winner was known.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Cheers Windy.I noticed THE AGE had a bit more to his days with the HERALD and WEEKLY TIMES than they did.Wonder why Rupe?

Who was that BASTARD EDITOR who SCREWED UP Bill's Work? :evil:
nathanskinner
Top Up Player

Post by nathanskinner »

read today that a close friend of his have been discussing for the last five years that when he was to die he would be the replacement. The guys name escapes me now, but the tradition will continue with a small image of weg in the corner drawn by the man himself as a mark of respect.