Spike's ankle

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Spike's ankle

Post by rockhole »

is there any news on McVeigh's injury??
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Re: Spike's ankle

Post by swoodley »

I read yesterday that they're waiting for the swelling to go down so that he can go for a scan. No news either way apart from that.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

From afl.com.au

Scans clear McVeigh of serious damage
ESSENDON could have Mark McVeigh back in time for round one after the midfielder escaped serious damage to the ankle he injured in Friday night's match against the Brisbane Lions.

Scans on Monday showed McVeigh had suffered a ligament strain in the tibia-fibula joint and could therefore be back playing in a minimum of two weeks and a maximum of four.

"It was good news from our point-of-view," football operations manager Paul Hamilton said. "It's only a grade one strain so we're really pleased.

"It's the same joint Andrew Welsh injured, although he broke his, but it's the same spot."

Hamilton said the scan had buoyed the key Bomber after initially thinking more serious damage had been done.

"McVeigh first though it might have been worse than a strain ... Now he's quite positive and confident he'll progress."

Hamilton said the length of McVeigh's layoff is considered "unpredictable" owing to the weight-bearing nature of the joint, but believes there is a reasonable chance he could play in round one on March 29 against Port Adelaide.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Terrible pre-season for Spike. Don't expect him to be back at 2008 levels until at least May. A lot of responsibility will be falling on the shoulders of Jobe Watson, Andy Lovett and Sammy Lonergan (our only "premier" midfielders that have had full pre-seasons) for the first couple of months.

Based on Friday's game and this news I think we'll lose a lot more than we win in the first half of this season. Our fitness against a team of Brisbane no names was woeful on Friday night - we kept fading out towards the end of quarters. Interrupted pre-seasons for so many of our players is going to have a big impact.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
JimboC
Top Up Player

Post by JimboC »

Put spike down for round one i say....

Today's the 2nd, round 1 is the 29th i believe. That gives him 3 1/2'ish weeks on a injury that is rated at 2-4 weeks.

Hamilton was saying how good his fitness base is, he'll be right to go round 1.

He'll chomping at the bit knowing him....
The Watson Factor....