Player Review #9: Mark McVeigh

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
azza78
High Draft Pick
Location: Cairns, FNQ. Home of the mighty Cairns Draught, may it RIP

Player Review #9: Mark McVeigh

Post by azza78 »

It's been awhile, so let's start the next review.

Impressive year for Spike, probably the team's most consistent player. Can shut down a dangerous small forward or midfielder, or find the pill and create the play himself. Versatile.

Easily his best season for the red and black, and regularly showed the kind of football he is capable of producing. Would now sit in the top 5 most important players at Essendon, and was flat out robbed not to finish much higher in the Crichton.

9/10
lozza89
Regular Senior Player

Post by lozza89 »

Personally, i thought he was our best player this year. Can play just about anywhere, and can shut down big named players. Didn't get the mentions he deserved this year by the media and the club.
9/10
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

Another consistent year. He is a player you can rely on to get the job done. Welsh needs to have a look at Mcveigh. Can BEAT his opponent while being productive.

I'll give him an 8/10.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Had a great year and probably only had one bad game in round 22. He will play a big part in helping the team rebuild.

8/10.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

A mature year of football for McVeigh. He still has the occasional "Soly" episode where he can be a little hotheaded, but that's OK as it's not frequent.

Generally he is more accountable for himself. MJ had a season like this in the BP 2 years back and has struggled with consistency since. Hopefully it's full steam ahead for Macca in 2007.

Macca tries much less of the Hollywood stuff that he was prone to 3-4 years back and has benefited the team and himself greatly.

This year saw him rise further in stature. Next year should be even better.

spikefan
On the Rookie List

Post by spikefan »

I agree with everything said so far, McVeigh has had a great year, he matured quite a bit and was one of our best players and the most consistent. I give him 7.5.

Only reason I would give him only 7.5 is because Mark can do even better next year with his good skills. No point arguing about who is 5th on the B&F, Mark should strive to be at least top three next year, then he will deserve a 9.

Two additional comments, one on leadership and one on position.

Leadership: Mark McVeigh and David Hille are the only 25 years old in the list, closest are Welsh at 23 and Pev/ Bolts/ Heffernan at 27. McVeigh is already a leader and a bridge between the generations, a role model for the kids. He must do even more and maybe become a Vice-captain.

Position: I think McVeigh's best position is in the midfield, of course he should continue his shutdown job on top players, but he should strengthen his play when he is free and get more of the ball. This certainly involves the coaching staff as well, they should think of Spike as more than a tagger.
Red and Black Forever
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Exposed the B&F system as flawed when Welsh finished above him.

Had a very good year as a stopper, but needs to lift more when given the oppurtunity in the middle. Missed too many targets for someone as skillful as him. Still give him a 7/10, was very good this year in a shocking team.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
2QIK4U
On the Rookie List

Post by 2QIK4U »

I thought he had a good consistent year. Finally glad he committed to a contract for longer than a year. I'm giving him 8/10. 7.5 for his efforts this year and an extra .5 for his missus. :D

http://www.theage.com.au/ftimages/2006/ ... 67328.html
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Consistent. Dependable. Reliable. Skillful. Underrated. Sums up his season. Hopefully he follows it up next year. The match committee have no idea how to allocate votes. Perhaps McVeigh should have held onto the footy and waited for all options to be used up, kicked sideways at 20 metres and cough it up. Seems that was the game plan. 8.5/10
DYSON#2

Post by DYSON#2 »

Rusty1978
Top Up Player

Post by Rusty1978 »

Great year from Mark. Easily his best for the bombers.

9/10
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

One of our best performers this year.

8/10
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

Can certainly hold his head high for his efforts this year.

7/10

Would like to see him play in the midfield more in 2007.
citizenerased
On the Rookie List

Post by citizenerased »

good development this year...especially with that trap of his :roll:
seriously though the self-discipline he has shown is something to be congratualted for.

work effort has been very good for a few years, and his skills have been some of the best in the team for a the last 3-4 years, esp by foot.

As good as he is as a small defdner i would like to see him cement a spot in the middle. his forward delivery would give lloyd some better supply than he has been getting recently.

8.5/10
The Super Nintendo formerly known as Chalmers
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

Did very well and as I said on the old BT about two years ago - give the boy a run in the middle. He's a much better precise kick (ie to a lead) than 75 per cent of our team.
Sol
Top Up Player

Post by Sol »

7/10 and one of our best for the year.

Would like to see him in the middle more often also and if he has the engine after this years preseason im sure we will.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Pretty sure Mark McVeigh wears #10, not #9, Azza.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Staggy wrote:Pretty sure Mark McVeigh wears #10, not #9, Azza.
He is the 9th player that we are reviewing.

Obviously not going to review Rama as he didnt play due to illness and hasnt had a chance for 2 years.

Henneman was reviewed because we knew he was going to go.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
azza78
High Draft Pick
Location: Cairns, FNQ. Home of the mighty Cairns Draught, may it RIP

Post by azza78 »

Pretty sure Mark McVeigh wears #10, not #9, Azza
:shock: Since when...? :roll: