GUS

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

GUS

Post by BenDoolan »

Time to draw a line through his name. He has become a liability. All he does these days is shows small glimpses of decent football, but mainly displays impotence and shitness. Hardly getting the pill and missing easy shot at goal when he does get it.

6 games this year - mailnly as a small forward, and only deposited 3 f***'n goals. Even Lucas has scored more goals than him, and we all know how extraordinarily bad Lucas has been going.
Essendunny
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Re: GUS

Post by Jazz_84 »

bit of a problem with some of our players such as gus, shown potential only to go on and produce nothing many years into their careers
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Sigh. I'm just not sure where he fits in, and i don't reckon he does either. He doesn't get at the feet of Lucas/Lloyd/whoever anywhere near often enough and doesn't apply enough defensive pressure to be a crumbing small forward; at best, he's the fourth marking option in our forward line most weeks; not fit enough to run through the midfield, and not a defender.

Just as a general comment on our forward line this evening, i wasn't surprised it functioned so poorly. You had Lucas up there and he's close to embarrassing at the moment, Lloyd playing partly injured but trying hard, no pressure because Davey was playing further up the ground, and Jetta fumbling too frequently and refusing to take responsibility by kicking the goals himself. We needed another marking option, and should've had Davey as a dedicated forward pocket as he didn't achieve much in the midfield tonight.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

jimmyc1985 wrote:Sigh. I'm just not sure where he fits in, and i don't reckon he does either. He doesn't get at the feet of Lucas/Lloyd/whoever anywhere near often enough and doesn't apply enough defensive pressure to be a crumbing small forward; at best, he's the fourth marking option in our forward line most weeks; not fit enough to run through the midfield, and not a defender.

Just as a general comment on our forward line this evening, i wasn't surprised it functioned so poorly. You had Lucas up there and he's close to embarrassing at the moment, Lloyd playing partly injured but trying hard, no pressure because Davey was playing further up the ground, and Jetta fumbling too frequently and refusing to take responsibility by kicking the goals himself. We needed another marking option, and should've had Davey as a dedicated forward pocket as he didn't achieve much in the midfield tonight.
Yes, our forward line is a mess. None of our designated forwards are in form. None of them! With Lucas unable to hold his marks, you'd think the smaller fowards have more opportunity to take advantage of the ground ball. But they appear to be lost in space and their opponents just swoop and run unimpeded with a dash out of defence. You'd f***'n reckon our guys would realise by now that the best place to be would be behind a Scotty Lucas lead (and another front and square), as he hasn't been holding any contested marks.

It doesn't help our cause that Gumbleton requires bionics to get himself agile again, and Neagle is just a massive disappointment.
Essendunny
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

He's so up and down. I don't know anymore :(
Brumaz
High Draft Pick

Post by Brumaz »

winderlich showed more promise up forward for half a quater than gus has all season unfortunately :(

He is missing the mongrel factor.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

He plays for frees too often now rather than trying to win the ball on his own. A nice trip to the country is in order.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Give him the directions back to Adelaide, useless to us now.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

swoodley wrote:He plays for frees too often now rather than trying to win the ball on his own. A nice trip to the country is in order.
Thats what i noticed last night, Gus was diving and playing for frees too much. With our forward line failing at the moment we really needed him to stand up and start kicking some goals like he did last year. Im not sure who we really have to come back in the side besides McVeigh (possibly) and Houli but i really feel that Gus and maybe even Jetta need to go and play for Bendigo and start learning how to dominate again.

Kyle Reimers where are you!!!!! :P
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:
swoodley wrote:He plays for frees too often now rather than trying to win the ball on his own. A nice trip to the country is in order.
Thats what i noticed last night, Gus was diving and playing for frees too much. With our forward line failing at the moment we really needed him to stand up and start kicking some goals like he did last year. Im not sure who we really have to come back in the side besides McVeigh (possibly) and Houli but i really feel that Gus and maybe even Jetta need to go and play for Bendigo and start learning how to dominate again.

Kyle Reimers where are you!!!!! :P
Agreed.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Bloody hell, how does he get a game every week!?

Put in Houli/Williams/f***** anyone.

Still shows glimpses each game of his potential, but f**** it up nearly every time he gets it.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Scott
On the Rookie List

Post by Scott »

He's a SODA!!!

I've said it many times. He's timid when it comes to the hard stuff, deosn't want to get hurt and in today's AFL you can't be timid, you need balls to stand up and have a go. He aint alone either by the way there are several others in the same situation..But at this stage I don't thinks there's much we can do about it. One thing he has got is that he's young, maybe he'll get some mongrel into him as he gets older. The kids got talent, but talent is not enough anymore.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Must be given the year to show what he's got. His best is so good we need to give him every opportunity. I know a lot of people think he's had enough chances, but we can't really afford to lose more players of his age group.

Have a look at Dyson, ATM he's really starting to show something when most of us would have been happy to show him the door a couple of years ago.

I don't know what it is that allows a player to flick the consistancy switch, but i am still holding out hope the Gus can find it like, Dempsey and Licha did.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Sismis wrote:Must be given the year to show what he's got. His best is so good we need to give him every opportunity. I know a lot of people think he's had enough chances, but we can't really afford to lose more players of his age group.

Have a look at Dyson, ATM he's really starting to show something when most of us would have been happy to show him the door a couple of years ago.

I don't know what it is that allows a player to flick the consistancy switch, but i am still holding out hope the Gus can find it like, Dempsey and Licha did.
I hear ya Sis. But what worries me is that he has played 78 games now. The difference between his first 30 matches to his last 30 matches is what is worrying me. Most players will struggle in their first 30, and then gradually improve with the more games they play. And that can be said of all the other players who have played similar amount of games;

Watson
Stanton
Winderlich
Dyson (although his career is far from salvaged)
Lovett
Ryder
Slattery

But Gus started out like a gun, and is now unable to impose himself whatsoever. It's very frustrating to see him come out and have a ripper like he did v Carlton last year, and then see him meander for the next 15 matches. The gaps between his really good games are far too long. And what is most annoying (in the past couple of years) is that he is virtually non productive in the first half of the season - where the club's season is shaped. I don't want to see him flamboyantly having a cracker in R17 v Richmond when our season is cactus. He's at a stage in his career where he needs to be putting his hand up (like the other 50 - 100 gamers) and provide some quality instead of mediocrity.

But yeah, I understand if people want to give him more time and "hope" that things suddenly change. I've been hoping for a while.
Essendunny
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

BenDoolan wrote:
Sismis wrote:Must be given the year to show what he's got. His best is so good we need to give him every opportunity. I know a lot of people think he's had enough chances, but we can't really afford to lose more players of his age group.

I hear ya Sis. But what worries me is that he has played 78 games now. The difference between his first 30 matches to his last 30 matches is what is worrying me. Most players will struggle in their first 30, and then gradually improve with the more games they play. And that can be said of all the other players who have played similar amount of games;

Watson
Stanton
Winderlich
Lovett
Ryder
Slattery

But Gus started out like a gun, and is now unable to impose himself whatsoever. It's very frustrating to see him come out and have a ripper like he did v Carlton last year, and then see him meander for the next 15 matches. The gaps between his really good games are far too long. And what is most annoying (in the past couple of years) is that he is virtually non productive in the first half of the season - where the club's season is shaped. I don't want to see him flamboyantly having a cracker in R17 v Richmond when our season is cactus. He's at a stage in his career where he needs to be putting his hand up (like the other 50 - 100 gamers) and provide some quality instead of mediocrity.

But yeah, I understand if people want to give him more time and "hope" that things suddenly change. I've been hoping for a while.
Agree with pretty much all of this.

I think they just need to make a concrete decision on what his role is. Is he a relief midfielder? Is he a leading HFF? Or is he a crumbing forward?

My personal preference would be for him to be a crumbing forward, but I worry that he doesn't have the speed or the footy brain to know where to position himself.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Staggy wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:

Watson
Stanton
Winderlich
Lovett
Ryder
Slattery

Agree with pretty much all of this.

I think they just need to make a concrete decision on what his role is. Is he a relief midfielder? Is he a leading HFF? Or is he a crumbing forward?

My personal preference would be for him to be a crumbing forward, but I worry that he doesn't have the speed or the footy brain to know where to position himself.
I believe that is his best role. It seemed to come very naturally to him in 2006. He was lively, creative, opportunistic and courageous. It's a mystery how this ability has slowly deserted him ever since. He's an enigma. There are glimpses of him that looks so damn good that you think "the flair is coming back". And then you won't see it for a while. It's a real shame IMO.
Essendunny
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

I agree he has to do a lot of work to earn his spot on the list.

A pass mark for mine would need to be.

Goals + Goal assists must get over 2 per game. Currently < 1
Tackles must be around 4/game. Currently < 2
Marks, he currently averages over 5 which is about right, must maintain.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

Put him in the pocket and tell him to stand up and kick as many goals as possible. When he was at his best, you could be forgiven for thinking he was a tad on the "hungry" side. Needs to play that way again to be more damaging for us.

...And maybe dock $100 from his pay every bloody time he deliberately goes to ground?..

:wink:
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

He's not going to make it. When you talk about players who are going to get you to your next flag, Monfries aint one of em. He's had plenty of time to prove himself and failed.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

gringo wrote:He's not going to make it. When you talk about players who are going to get you to your next flag, Monfries aint one of em. He's had plenty of time to prove himself and failed.
Yeah Gus has a lot of work to do if he is to remain in our future plans. If Reimers was available Gus wouldnt be in the team. Im not sure what his contract status is like but he could be an interesting trade option for us if things dont improve.