Scotty's cycle has been broken...

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Scotty's cycle has been broken...

Post by Doctor Fish »

Bombers drop Lucas

By Jennifer Witham
10:50 AM Tue 05 May, 2009

ESSENDON has dropped out of form forward Scott Lucas after the veteran again struggled in his side's loss to the Brisbane Lions on Saturday night.

Coach Mathew Knights said on Tuesday that Lucas has been given the option of either turning out for Essendon's VFL affiliate the Bendigo Bombers this weekend or taking a week off from football altogether.

"We feel as a match committee we need to break the cycle that he's in at the moment so he can go back and have a bit of relief," Knights said ahead of his side's clash with Hawthorn on Friday night.

"Whether he has this weekend off both physically and mentally and then comes back the following week or he plays VFL this week we haven't decided yet.

"It's very much about breaking the cycle so he can go away, regain some form and then make a really good impact for the team in the second half of the season."

Knights said Lucas was very measured and calm when told about the decision on Tuesday morning.

In other selection news from Windy Hill, Mark McVeigh has already been ruled out of this week's meeting with the Hawks while defenders Michael Hurley and Darcy Daniher will return from injury through the VFL.

Former Geelong player Brent Prismall will make his return to the field this weekend when he lines up for the Bendigo Bombers.

Prismall had a reconstruction after injuring his knee against St Kilda in last year's final series.

More to follow...
Exclusive to AFL BigPond Network
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: Scotty's cycle has been broken...

Post by BenDoolan »

Well, something had to give. Right decision IMO. However, will it mean Neagle comes in after a shit spell at Bendigo? Hardly deserving.
Essendunny
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

Good to see Hirdy's still flying the flag...

Hird backs Lucas

By Jennifer Witham
8:47 AM Tue 05 May, 2009

FORMER Essendon captain James Hird believes the Bombers must persevere with the out-of-form Scott Lucas and resist the temptation to give the 31-year-old a run with the Bendigo Bombers.

Hird says Lucas, who has kicked just four goals in six games this year, needs to remain at senior level if he is to shake off his slump.

"Scotty's got to play. He's the sort of guy that's got to play and play and play," he said, on Foxtel's On The Couch on Monday night.

"He's not a guy that handles the rotation. He's handling it well mentally but I think he's a guy that needs consistency in his game."

The 253-player said the Bombers simply cannot afford to drop Lucas given the injury crisis they have recently found themselves in.

"They've already lost [Dustin] Fletcher, they've lost [David] Hille, and [Mark] McVeigh and [Andrew] Welsh will be out for the next three or four weeks," he said.

"They need his experience. He is capable [of playing better football]. There have been a number of examples of guys who have played poorly and they come back.

Hird questioned the pre-season approach taken with Lucas by the club that saw the veteran concentrate on skills work.

"I was always taught as an older player that you've got to train smarter, but you've got to train harder, because if you don't train and you have a bad pre-season, you'll suffer during the season.

"That's to me what has happened.

"He's only ever been a metre in front and now he's half a metre in front and he's dropping marks he should take. His confidence is down, and he's the sort of guy who not an absolute track animal but he gets his game time, and once he gets his game time, he plays better."

Hird likened Lucas' situation to that of Port Adelaide forward Warren Tredrea, who shook off goalless performances in rounds one and two to kick 17 majors in the following four weeks, and predicted his former teammate had the ability to turn things around.

However, he warned the two-time club best and fairest that he needed to show improvement sooner rather than later.

"You can have a bad six weeks and turn it around. Just because you're 31 years old doesn't mean you're finished," he said.

"But if he has another six weeks like this, or another two or three, he won't get much more time than that."
Exclusive to AFL BigPond Network
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Probably the right move, although I thought he looked OK on Saturday night when further up the ground.

Why bring Neagle in? With Hurley and DD coming back we should have enough talls rest Quinn/Ryder in the forward line and we'll be fine.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Yeah he's in shite form but surely this is not week to drop your second most experienced player. Who knows when his form turns - it might just be against a rampant HAwthorn

Wanklin and Rougharse must be lickin their lips
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Windy_Hill wrote:Yeah he's in shite form but surely this is not week to drop your second most experienced player. Who knows when his form turns - it might just be against a rampant HAwthorn

Wanklin and Rougharse must be lickin their lips
Don't you think Roughead has been dealt a bad enough hand in the name and head department?
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Sismis wrote:Probably the right move, although I thought he looked OK on Saturday night when further up the ground.

Why bring Neagle in? With Hurley and DD coming back we should have enough talls rest Quinn/Ryder in the forward line and we'll be fine.
Hurley and DD are playing for Bendigo. Read the article Sissy.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Staggy wrote:
Sismis wrote:Probably the right move, although I thought he looked OK on Saturday night when further up the ground.

Hurley and DD are playing for Bendigo. Read the article Sissy.
Pfft when have io ever let facts get in the way! :oops:
Ronny Rotten
High Draft Pick

Post by Ronny Rotten »

Brave decision by Knights, but correct. It shows that he is unafraid to make tough calls & sends a message to all the players, young & old, that mediocrity will not be accepted.

Lets hope that the message will get through to others such as Monfries & Jetta

Scotty, i believe still has much to offer. although he is trying hard, perhaps too hard, after his injury & interupted pre season. Let him get back to his best, regain his touch & have a terrific 2nd half of the season.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

I agree with this move in principle, but this week we're playing Hawthorn with a shit backline. Could be a good opportunity to find some form in the seniors.

Still, could give Neagle an easy run in.
I don't care if he's not in form, he needs to be given a go now and maybe Friday night AFL will bring out the best in him.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

And it's not like Monfries is doing any better.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Not what I was hoping for. Welsh, Hille, Fletcher and now Scotty. These were the experienced guys that would support the youngsters.

I cannot recall being more vunerable than what we face over the next month. I know it's brave talk to say how this provides opportunities for the new guys to step up etc etc, but Holy Sheet, we are facing the 2 teams that played off in the Granny plus a rampant Saints.

We are suspect down back without Fletch and the forward line cannot kick goals. The bright spot is the midfield and our pace. We need to run and run and run and make sure the pill ends up with either Licha or Lovett. They can either spot up a forward or kick the goal themselves.

Hold your breath!! We are in for a bumpy ride.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Yes Scotty is in bad form but i didint think he should be dropped this week. Our forward line is struggling as it is and without Scotty for the match against the Hawks it is hard to see how we are going to kick a winning score. Depending on who comes in maybe McPhee or even Hooker will be played forward. TB would have to play surely to allow Ryder to go back if needed. Neagle would have to be a chance to play now even though he isnt in the best form.

Makes for an interesting selection on Thursday night. :?
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

Gotta say for the first time ever I'm against Hirdy here.

How many more weeks did we have to persist until he found form? He could be like this until round twelve. It's possible there's some outside factor, ie Mercuri, Wallis, Rioli or Lovett that could be affecting his play ATM, that he needs time off for. We just don't know.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Very tough decision which, for mine, is correct.

If Neagle comes in and farts around trying to take pack marks all day with no second efforts and not giving the midfielders a target by leading until he's exhausted, i'll consider moving him on to my 'time waster' list.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Megan wrote:Gotta say for the first time ever I'm against Hirdy here.

How many more weeks did we have to persist until he found form? He could be like this until round twelve. It's possible there's some outside factor, ie Mercuri, Wallis, Rioli or Lovett that could be affecting his play ATM, that he needs time off for. We just don't know.
There have been a lot worse footballers than Scott Lucas carried through poor form by this club for much longer than 6 weeks. If this is going to bew how it is from now on, then fair enough. But I wont be pleased if the likes of Monfries, NLM, Slattery etc etc are now given game after game when thier form doesnt warrant it either.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

robbie67 wrote:
Megan wrote:Gotta say for the first time ever I'm against Hirdy here.

There have been a lot worse footballers than Scott Lucas carried through poor form by this club for much longer than 6 weeks. If this is going to bew how it is from now on, then fair enough. But I wont be pleased if the likes of Monfries, NLM, Slattery etc etc are now given game after game when thier form doesnt warrant it either.
I don't like us dropping a club champion as much as the next bloke, but i take exception to you singling out
Monfries, NLM and Slatts.(slatts in particular, he has a shutdown job to do and does it pretty well).

Scotty is being rested because the club wants him to regain his touch, i have nothing wrong with that. Lucas will smash it playing for Bendigo. When he does he'll be back in the team a lot sooner than thursday night.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

It is gut wrenching to see a champion like Scotty dropped at a time where we desperately ned the vets to perform. I guess that there had to be a circuit breaker, as his form was pretty bad and did not look like improving. This may turn out to be a master stroke and I hope to hell that it is.

There was no better sight than to see Scotty wheel onto the left foot and pump one from the 50m boundary. I cannot believe that we have seen the last of that.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

rockhole wrote:It is gut wrenching to see a champion like Scotty dropped at a time where we desperately ned the vets to perform. I guess that there had to be a circuit breaker, as his form was pretty bad and did not look like improving. This may turn out to be a master stroke and I hope to hell that it is.

There was no better sight than to see Scotty wheel onto the left foot and pump one from the 50m boundary. I cannot believe that we have seen the last of that.
We haven't seen that all year, he has been putting them out on the full.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

The Gumbleton injury is really bad on two fronts;

1. It prevents Gumby gaining valuable and much needed AFL experience; and
2. It prevented Lucas having less focus put on him and more expectation to perform when he isn’t quite 100% right.

If Gumby were kicking around, he would have taken more responsibility in the F50 than what Scotty is expected to provide ATM. Had both of them been available, I would imagine our fortunes would be far different than it is right now.

Such is life.
Essendunny