Sad but true

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Sad but true

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Our forward line was much better for Lucas' absence last night.
Madden
Club Captain

Re: Sad but true

Post by Madden »

Yep.

We have to delist 4 or 5 players at the end of the year. Lloyd will go on, as will Fletcher.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Our midfield delivered the ball much better last night.

Given consistent accurate delivery, Lucas would carve it up.

However, his time is approaching, and it will be very important to handle that well. He saw the game, and will no doubt be considering this very topic, but the champion footballer in him will have him planning his return, working on his psyche and expecting to contribute well.

Good luck in Stawell Scotty. I hope our players don't get dvt's on the long bus trip! :shock:
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

I am confident that Scott can and will find his form and his way back in. He is an out and out champion and has played at top level for 12 odd years. Remember this is a very young side and its a long season. We need as many up and going to share the load.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Unbelievable. A poor start, after an interupted pre-season, and we are pensioning him off. Lets revisit this one later in the year.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

robbie67 wrote:Unbelievable. A poor start, after an interupted pre-season, and we are pensioning him off. Lets revisit this one later in the year.
Absolutely correct and fair assessment.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

robbie67 wrote:Unbelievable. A poor start, after an interupted pre-season, and we are pensioning him off. Lets revisit this one later in the year.
I'm not saying anything stupid like "he should never play another game for the EFC again", rather just pointing out that the decision to "rest" him this week was absolutely the correct one. And i don't see how you put him into next week's side, either, given that all the fringe/young guys like NLM, Hooker, Monfries, Neagle and even Bellchambers had good games.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

About 13 games ago he kicked 7 goals in a qtr ar Subiaco.

Since then he had a season wrecking knee injury - at 30 - so it will take time to recover.

I reckon he has another season left in him after this and whilst he will never be the 7 goal a qtr player he may have once been, I still think you can mark Scotty down for 30 goals this year and 30-35 next year.
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

I thought the same thing, but then got to thinking about the delivery.

If he was playing and kicking accurately - which he isn't and you can't blame that on delivery - he'd have kicked a bag last night. I have faith we'll see Lucas back.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

I'd want Lucas to have several games like the one he had this week before he comes back.
And if the forward line works as well as it did this week, he'll have to do even better.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

My main worry is still his lack of pace, which seemed worse than usual this year.
Scott
On the Rookie List

Post by Scott »

This is what happens to champions unfortunately. Once they stop perfoomrming at the level they once were they are gone. I didn't make it to the Freo game, but afterwards i caught up witha couple of people who went. The first thing they said to me was "make sure you go next week (vs Carlton) as it's probably the last time you will see Matty Lloyd play football" I looked at them shook my head and walked off.

I ran into the same 2 people on Saturday night and asked them there thoughts about the comment they made...As you could imagine they were very embarrased about the comment. And yes I paid out on them all night.

Unfortunately it's the way it happens from Supporters and the Media alike.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Scott wrote:
This is what happens to champions unfortunately. Once they stop perfoomrming at the level they once were they are gone. I didn't make it to the Freo game, but afterwards i caught up witha couple of people who went. The first thing they said to me was "make sure you go next week (vs Carlton) as it's probably the last time you will see Matty Lloyd play football" I looked at them shook my head and walked off.

I ran into the same 2 people on Saturday night and asked them there thoughts about the comment they made...As you could imagine they were very embarrased about the comment. And yes I paid out on them all night.

Unfortunately it's the way it happens from Supporters and the Media alike.
Difference bewteen Lloyd and Lucas is that Lloyd never looked too slow, he just couldn't get a kcik.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

jimmyc1985 wrote:
I'm not saying anything stupid like "he should never play another game for the EFC again", rather just pointing out that the decision to "rest" him this week was absolutely the correct one. And i don't see how you put him into next week's side, either, given that all the fringe/young guys like NLM, Hooker, Monfries, Neagle and even Bellchambers had good games.
Yes, I wouldnt think he should be in next week either. Though watching the game tonight (Saints V Filth), I think a more unconventional set up like 3 big forwards might be one of the things we need to try.

In relation to the "big picture" and the future of Lucas, I think sometimes with older player you need to be very careful not to retire them off too early. Isnt it possible just to have a poor year at 31? He definately had a poor year in 2001, but he was only 23 then, so no one mentioned that he was finished.
canberrabomber
Top Up Player

Post by canberrabomber »

robbie67 wrote:
In relation to the "big picture" and the future of Lucas, I think sometimes with older player you need to be very careful not to retire them off too early. Isnt it possible just to have a poor year at 31? He definately had a poor year in 2001, but he was only 23 then, so no one mentioned that he was finished.
True this be.

Lloyd written of last year and this year was

But Lucas' malaise temporary or long-term and irreversible causes does it have?

True also poor year at inoportune time can occur. Contract drawing to a close; other options uncovered; team perform better in absence may be.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

canberrabomber wrote:
robbie67 wrote:
True this be.

Lloyd written of last year and this year was

But Lucas' malaise temporary or long-term and irreversible causes does it have?

True also poor year at inoportune time can occur. Contract drawing to a close; other options uncovered; team perform better in absence may be.
Babel Fish?
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

The report is he kicked 4.4 for Bendigo so his radar may still be off a bit but he still got 8 shots on goal.

Anyone got better info on how much game time he had etc or where he played (FF or CHF).

Will be good for his confidence anyway and list pressure is what we need.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Far too early to write off a champion without exploring every avenue. Bring him back against ninethmond providing magoos form is still good. I still believe that he has much to offer and we need the balance of vets to youngsters.

Blokes who can slot 55m goals at will do not grow on trees. I believe that he is going through a confidence slump. It was painful to see him in the coaches box on Friday given that he is naturally a up tempo person.

Let's face it. He was never quick. he was just able to get the first couple of yards on his oponent and that was enough.

I predict that he will be playing good footy for us by mid season.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark