Round 12 match thread - Essendon V Melbourne

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Round 12 match thread - Essendon V Melbourne

Post by swoodley »

I've always wanted to start one of these and seeing as no one else has I thought I'd take the opportunity :mrgreen:

I won't be at the game (a bit far to travel) so for those of you lucky enough to be going...please enjoy.

By the time the game gets on TV over here, it will be all over but I'm really going to try and not look at the scores before watching it.

We should win and win well given the lack of experience in the Melbourne team this week. This is not a game to slip up in....we must win and win well to have confidence going forward for the remainder of the season.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Re: Round 12 match thread - Essendon V Melbourne

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Unfortunately i wont be at the game either but will def watching come 8.30pm (i will try not to cheat and listen to the radio or net too much before then LOL).

I am quietly confident of an easy win tonight, we SHOULD account for them easily with the team that the Dees have on the park but you never know with footy. If we play the way we did against Adelaide for 3 quarters then a win by at least 7 goals is assured. I just cant see where the Demons are going to get their goals from and Lloyd and Lucas will be a handful up forward now that Warnock isnt in the Dees backline...

Im looking forward to it!!! vingertje
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

haha well i just couldnt help it... im cheating and looking at the scores.

First goal to us via a 50m penalty for Cale Hooker!!! :D

Second goal to us from Lloydy!! Remeber last time the two teams played not only did the captain kick 8 goals but he got mark of the year!!
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Lloydy has 2 goals already, Lonergan and Hooker have also goaled.

Nice quick start by the boys- 4 goals to 1.

Looks like McVeigh is having a good solid match already- 6 possessions and a goal. Watson also has 6 possies.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

1/4 time

ess- 6.3.39- our best first quarter in a while im guessing
melb- 3.2.20- hanging in there

possies:
Lonergan 6 (plus a goal)
Prismall 9
Licha 7
Lloyd- 3 kicks for 3 goals
Skipworth 7
Lucas 7
Welsh 6
McVeigh 6 and a goal
Watson 10
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Dees on the comeack trail midway thru the 2nd. Robbo just kicked his first to bring the margin back to 11 pts.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Dees onthe charge... Jurrah kicks his first to bring it back to 4 points. Can't wait to watch but our delivery must be complete rubbish. We go forward.. they rebound and goal.

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
vern
On the Rookie List

Post by vern »

Matthew Lloyd would love to get the kind of service from the Maggotts that Robertson is getting tonight.

16points half time. Not convincing at all. Lovett, Stanton need to get into the game.

Knights FFS leave Lloyd in forward 50. He klicks 3 to 1/4 time and Frawlwy can't go near the contest without infringing so in 2/4 Lloyd goes up the ground more. Puzzling.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Lonergan and Lucas give us a bit of breathing space going into half time...

Ess 10.7.67
Mel 8.3.51

Lloyd didn't goal in that term. Kicked 3 in the first. Lonergan and McVeigh have 2 each and Miller has 2 for the Dees

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

Really not pleased with our second term. Frankly the whole game hasn't exactly been startling, and it's magnificently over-umpired. McLaren is there - surprise.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
vern
On the Rookie List

Post by vern »

3rd quarter much much better. 58 point lead. McVeigh has brain snap and gets reported in last minute of quarter for striking Rivers.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Looks like a better 3rd term... Lloyd quiet in that term too. Lucas snagged two, as did Davey.

Bate kicks the first goal of the final stanza. 53 point margin.

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Megan wrote:Really not pleased with our second term. Frankly the whole game hasn't exactly been startling, and it's magnificently over-umpired. McLaren is there - surprise.
Yeah the game as a whole has been pretty average up till half time (on the TV). I have been pleased with the performances of McVeigh, Prismall and Reimers though, all three are def having an impact. Tayte Pears is having a shocker, Jurrah took him to pieces in the 2nd quarter.

Im looking forward to watching the second half.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:
Megan wrote:Really not pleased with our second term. Frankly the whole game hasn't exactly been startling, and it's magnificently over-umpired. McLaren is there - surprise.
Yeah the game as a whole has been pretty average up till half time (on the TV). I have been pleased with the performances of McVeigh, Prismall and Reimers though, all three are def having an impact. Tayte Pears is having a shocker, Jurrah took him to pieces in the 2nd quarter.

Watching the Q2 now. Pears was raped by the umpire for Miller's second goal. He was just standing his ground and because Miller was backing back and getting down low the umpire behind thought he was infringing. Some terribly soft frees going both ways so far.

EDIT: And then that "push" that Robbo goaled from. That was a forearm touch and Robbo's experience showed. Leaned forward to make it look like a push and got the free. Unlucky.

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Still no f****** 4 quarter performance yet again. This is really starting to shit me.

We should have absolute smashed this mob, should have been pushing towards 100 point demolition but we let then back into in the 2nd quarter, and then after absolutely smashing them in the 3rd, it appears we figured we had the game won and didn't really need to bother with the last quarter.

Shits me to tears, 21 minutes into the last quarter and we have only just kicked our first goal while letting Melbourne get 4 cheapies!!

Never be a top team until we start putting teams away and putting in 4 quarter performances!!
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

36 shots to 18.
430 odd possessions to about 330.
8 goal win.

Can't ask for much more except to translate dominance into bigger margins.

Will happily watch the delayed coverage here in Perth. Listening to radio coverage with Wheatley, Lane, Schwab, and Parkin - you'd think we didn't hit a target. Will wait to see if my ears deceived me!

ps As for Schwab - last week on the Friday night coverage he said "can we doing anything about players whingeing about umpiring decisions". All he and the rest of the media do is analyse and whinge about every decision of the match. f*** off you hopeless excuse for a commentator and dead-beat ex-coach.
bomberflyer
Top Up Player

Post by bomberflyer »

Will McVeigh go?
No.1 Fan of Alwyn and his Band of Brothers.

2008 Mission: Operation Aaron Davey
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:

Curious how Jurrah could have "taken Pears to pieces" when they were only involved in 2 contests? Jurrah got front position in both (on the lead) and has good hands. Took the mark and they were both on the 50. Neither of them hurt. The goal he kicked was a good leap over Hooker and Dempsey.. which came to ground. Freakish skills tho to control it at ground level and kick the goal lying down... all in one motion! He's going to be something special, I reckon.

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Gee the Q4 is a pretty average. Can't hit a target going forward and when we do they have butter fingers or miss the target. At the other end, Melbourne hit their targets and kick straight (except Sylvia).

Those frees against Stanton and Dyson in the middle were rubbish and resulted in Melbourne goals. Grr.

Prismall looks good. Very happy with him, and Welsh and Fletcher were excellent in their return games.

Still about 10 mins left in the game. Watson kicks our first goal of the Q4. Pretty abysmal effort really from us.

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant