Is it time to try and get something for Laycock?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Is it time to try and get something for Laycock?

Post by robbie67 »

If young Hooker continues to hold up as a back up ruckman, and we intend keeping Bellchambers on the list, what is the point of keeping this bloke? What would his trade value be worth? What are the things we require in the team to complete it? In my opinion, we still need a psycho small backman, that will send enough fear into our opposition, that they wont take the piss out of the likes of Pears, Hooker, Hurley etc while they are developing. How about Guerra from Hawthorn? He has more than one dimension to his game, has good pace, nice skills, and has a whole lot of cnt about him. Hawthorn unload someone pushing 30, and get a third ruckman has insurance. Anyway just a thought. I think he is definately access to requirements.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Re: Is it time to try and get something for Laycock?

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Hawthorn wont give up Guerra for an injury prine ruckman. They already have about 4 or 5 already on their list.

Brisbane only have Charman and Luenberger as their main ruckmen so they could be interested.... Laycock and a pick for Troy Selwood would be nice!! Port Adelaide dont have many ruckmen either with Lade almost certain to retire at the end of the year.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:Hawthorn wont give up Guerra for an injury prine ruckman. They already have about 4 or 5 already on their list.

Brisbane only have Charman and Luenberger as their main ruckmen so they could be interested.... Laycock and a pick for Troy Selwood would be nice!! Port Adelaide dont have many ruckmen either with Lade almost certain to retire at the end of the year.
Hawthorn may have cap problems at the end of this year, and I imagine Guerra is on reasonable coin. They already have Brown who can play the enforcer, and is aknown nut case. The Brisbane situation is interesting though, they might have something we can use. f*** dealing with Port though.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Yeah it will depend on whether Brisbane keep using Clark as the roaming ruckman (like we are doing with Hooker) or whether they try and find another genuine ruckman to support Charman and Luenberger (both who are struggling with injuries.)
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Laycock is......I was going to say....damaged goods. He's just damaged. I think other clubs know his reputation and his problematic injury (navicular bone) which can be career threatening.

In saying that - perhaps GC17 might be interested in a "physically" ready (although physically damaged) ruckman. Problem is that we won't get a player for him, we'd get a pick (perhaps).

There's always Freo. They're idiots. They got rid of Warnock, probably expecting to get Naitanui in the draft and missed out. I don't know who else they have apart from Sandilands. They might be interested. Bring back Solly as your tough nut BP? :lol:
Essendunny
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

I agree with BD - Laycock is damaged goods and we are unlikely to get anything from anyone.

As for Guerra - f*** me if I am going to cheer that c*** - even if he is in a red & black jumper. no, no, no.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Hooker is no ruckman, Bellchambers is several seasons away and Boch????'

Why not see if the Cock can produce before we give him the flick especially if we get stuff all for him. With Madden as coach and the knowledge that he will only get one more chance, I think I would rather see if he can shape up.

The odd glimpse we have seen suggests he could be brilliant. Maybe the circumstances will finally bring it out of him.

As for being lazy etc, I just don't buy it that the club would tolerate anyone who doesn't put in.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

rockhole wrote:Hooker is no ruckman, Bellchambers is several seasons away and Boch????'

Why not see if the Cock can produce before we give him the flick especially if we get stuff all for him. With Madden as coach and the knowledge that he will only get one more chance, I think I would rather see if he can shape up.

The odd glimpse we have seen suggests he could be brilliant. Maybe the circumstances will finally bring it out of him.

As for being lazy etc, I just don't buy it that the club would tolerate anyone who doesn't put in.
I just cant see where he is going to play without making us top heavy. I wouldnt drop any of our current talls for him, and we already will have to accomodate Hille. In no way am I suggesting that Hooker is a long term prospect in the ruck, but he can pinch hit in there if required. I still think some clubs will see him the same way you see him Rocky, and will take a chance on getting a ruckman (who are still quite rare). If he does play for us and does nothing, that is only going to decrease his trade value.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

I can't see us chasing Guerra at all. Knights is very keen on developing his own team and Guerra is a mercenary who has played at Port, St Kilda and Hawthorn. Also, he is getting on in years and I doubt Knights would be interested in him.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

robbie67 wrote:
rockhole wrote:Hooker is no ruckman, Bellchambers is several seasons away and Boch????'

I just cant see where he is going to play without making us top heavy. I wouldnt drop any of our current talls for him, and we already will have to accomodate Hille. In no way am I suggesting that Hooker is a long term prospect in the ruck, but he can pinch hit in there if required. I still think some clubs will see him the same way you see him Rocky, and will take a chance on getting a ruckman (who are still quite rare). If he does play for us and does nothing, that is only going to decrease his trade value.
I guess I am just loath to see him go on the off chance that he may end up a bloody good ruckman. They do not grow on trees and we have put some work into this guy.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

He has no trade value at all. Think of it like this: what would his trade value have been at the end of last year when he played 16 games, most of which were shit, with a few passable performances and even fewer good performances? I would say late 3rd round pick at best. Since then, his trade value would have to have gone down significantly (to the point where it is now effectively 0) - he didn't get on the park at all this year so there's no recent form to look at, and he has an injury which is notoriously difficult to recover from.

We may need to think about drafting a ruck in the national draft soon, something we haven't done since Ryder in 2005. We seem to have a preference for picking rookie and PSD rucks rather than using a national draft pick on a ruck, but rookie and PSD picks are presumably less likely to be successful (although i'd concede that ruckman tend to be more of a raffle than other types of players - some of the best rucks around came off rookie lists or were late draft picks).
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Dean Cox was a pretty handy rookie list ruckman!!

I have a feeling that the club will look into drafting a ruckman after all the injury problems we have had this year.
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

It is an interesting situation.

Given his injury, I can't see any club trading for him (including GC)...

He is contracted till end of next year...

Therefore, I reckon we are stuck with him until then. If we don't re-sign him, I just can't see other clubs taking the punt unless GC or West Sydney want him...that said, who knows what Freeo will do given their history in tradeweek :lol:
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

Sometimes life's a bitch.

This kid's so f****** frustrating. This year, out of all years, would have been the time for Laycock to prove himself, with the loss of Hille for the season, and Bellchambers for the moment. But he's now sitting on his couch watching Ryder turn it on. And really, you can't see anyone running around in the seniors at the moment that you would drop for Laycock, and there would be plenty of players running around at Bendigo who are ahead of him in the queue.

Shop him around at the end of the season. If someone offers up a chicken sandwich I say take it.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

We have to donate a player to GC .. with the trade return (somewhere in the 3rd round) based on the palyer's draft pick (or so I understand). Laycock, as a first round pick to EFC, could get us pick 52 in 2011!!!

Cheers - STI
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Should we try to turn Laycock into a full-forward? If for no other reason than the pressure Neagle into making the most of his potential.
If memory serves in his first year or two in the VFL he kicked a few bags.

Also, if we end up shopping him around, mention this to other teams.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

no trade value in guys who can't get a game for us through injury. i mean its not like we have an abundance of ruck riches. Hille, Ryder , Bellchambers and Bock(who is a year or two away anyway).
reimers_37
Top Up Player

Post by reimers_37 »

i am sick of laycock, we have put up with him 4 too long.
he does not deserve 2 be an afl player.
i dont mind keeping a player and waiting 4 them to develop them if they actually try and put it hard work.
laycock is just along 4 the ride!
he always pretends to try!!!
if you ever watch him closely you see him pulling out of contests all the time, he might have a chance to spoil and he just jogs over trying 2 make out his running hard and flings his arm @ the ball so it looks like he made an effort. maybe he could get a job as an actor? :wink:

anyway a guy lyk courtney johns who we kept for a while, he actually was very determined, tried hard in games and worked hard off the field putting in extra training. the problem with him was he had serious hip injuries which prevented him from reaching his potential.

i dont know why laycock is still on our list???
he is injury prone and doesnt have the heart needed to play footy!
trust me he is one player who will never turn into a star no matter what club he is at!
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

reimers_37 wrote:i am sick of laycock, we have put up with him 4 too long.
he does not deserve 2 be an afl player.
i dont mind keeping a player and waiting 4 them to develop them if they actually try and put it hard work.
laycock is just along 4 the ride!
he always pretends to try!!!
if you ever watch him closely you see him pulling out of contests all the time, he might have a chance to spoil and he just jogs over trying 2 make out his running hard and flings his arm @ the ball so it looks like he made an effort. maybe he could get a job as an actor? :wink:

anyway a guy lyk courtney johns who we kept for a while, he actually was very determined, tried hard in games and worked hard off the field putting in extra training. the problem with him was he had serious hip injuries which prevented him from reaching his potential.

i dont know why laycock is still on our list???
he is injury prone and doesnt have the heart needed to play footy!
trust me he is one player who will never turn into a star no matter what club he is at!
Good opinion post. Please remember that writing is different to texting.
reimers_37
Top Up Player

Post by reimers_37 »

yeah sorry guys, im used to too much texting and msn. will try to write better in future. feels weird though, like im writing a school assignment :? ...bad habits