Gringo's observations part 13

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
gringo
Club Captain

Gringo's observations part 13

Post by gringo »

1. Kyle Reimers' boots: Any danger? They look like a Martian has got home from a big night on the sauce and taken a prolonged shit on them. They look ridiculous. Aside from that, his disposal was terrible in the first half and he was a selfish with the ball in the second. He needs to pull his head in.

2. Lloyd at FF: Only about two months too late but at last Lloyd is being played out of FF. With Lucas and Monfries finding some form we once again have a dangerous forward line.

3. Welsh: an absolutely ripping game from Welsh. He provides much needed hardness at the contest, and set a big example for the rest of the team with his shepparding. He's had an ideal return from injury playing against two fairly ordinary teams. Hopefully he can maintain his form against Collingwood.

4. Shepparding: much improved on previous weeks. We are unstoppable when players not only try and get the ball themselves but also protect the ball carrier. Both Prismall, Welsh and Davey work very hard when they don't have the ball.

5. Pears and Hooker: playing out of their skin at the moment. Hooker made a few errors but his endeavour is exceptional. Pears made Fev look silly and clearly has a good engine judging on the way he ran off Fev in the second half. If we can get Gumy out on the park we could well have a spine set for the next ten years.

6. Fletcher: needs to play on next year and beyond that too if he likes. Just does the right thing time and time again. It's fantastic watching him play.

7. Playing at the MCG: Benny Doolan mentioned it elsewhere but clearly we are a much better team at the MCG then the Dome. I'm not sure when our contract expires but surely the club needs to look at moving back to the MCG? It may not be as financially attractive but from a playing perspective, it's clearly the way forwards for this playing group.

8. Dyson: he'd have to be the most improved player at the club. He's starting to have a genuine impact on the outcome of matches.

9. Slattery: I know we like to play on wherever possible, but a couple of times Slattery played on deep inside our 50 and it came unstuck. I'm not thrilled with his decision making generally when he has the ball. He does his best work when he doesn't have it.

10. Lovett: I'm not sure what he's paying for the Brownlow but he'd have to be chance at this stage? A lock for AA selection which is a credit to himself and the club.

11. 50m penalties: I can't remember the last time we gave away a 50m penalty through an undisciplined act. It's a credit to the coaching staff and the playing group.

12. Bring on Collingwood.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Re: Gringo's observations part 13

Post by swoodley »

Nice summary Gringo although I disagree with your first point regarding Reimers.

Who gives a fat rat's clacker about the colour of his boots.

His disposal the previous week was superb and he was not the only one to miss a target this week.

As for needing to pull his head in...what a crock...he has been very disciplined so far in his three games this year and is cementing his spot in our best 22
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

swoodley wrote:Nice summary Gringo although I disagree with your first point regarding Reimers.

Who gives a fat rat's clacker about the colour of his boots.

His disposal the previous week was superb and he was not the only one to miss a target this week.

As for needing to pull his head in...what a crock...he has been very disciplined so far in his three games this year and is cementing his spot in our best 22
Hmmm ... prefer his gameday boots to the bunny slippers he sometimes wears to the Coburg Safeway early on sunday mornings (True!!!).

Cheers - STI
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
bomberflyer
Top Up Player

Post by bomberflyer »

I missed the game but listed to some of it. I desperately need a copy!!!!!!!!!!

What I'm interested in is who comes in for McVeigh and McPhee (if fit) + Hurley (in the best again - seems to get into the best everytime he is fit and playing)????

Please list Gringo (if you can) - the ins and outs for next week - all things equal. Obviously, McVeigh for Watson.
No.1 Fan of Alwyn and his Band of Brothers.

2008 Mission: Operation Aaron Davey
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Reimy the Reimdog Reimers did seem to fluff a few disposals. But I love the way this kid goes about his business. That should not be reigned in. He thrives on a bit of flair and dare. He is hugely talented - he is a good overhead mark, he has good pace, he has excellent evasive skills, is a fantastic reader of the play, loves to take 'em on, can kick a goal, and goes in very hard. Generally, he is a beautiful kick with a textbook kicking action. Unfortunately, the bitch of an injury he has just returned from, affected his kicking power. Hopefully he is 100% over that and he will continue to get back to his best.

In regard to the colour of his boots, well......as he said last year......"they're just a pair of boots at the end of the day"
Essendunny
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

BenDoolan wrote:Reimy the Reimdog Reimers did seem to fluff a few disposals. But I love the way this kid goes about his business. That should not be reigned in. He thrives on a bit of flair and dare. He is hugely talented - he is a good overhead mark, he has good pace, he has excellent evasive skills, is a fantastic reader of the play, loves to take 'em on, can kick a goal, and goes in very hard. Generally, he is a beautiful kick with a textbook kicking action. Unfortunately, the bitch of an injury he has just returned from, affected his kicking power. Hopefully he is 100% over that and he will continue to get back to his best.

In regard to the colour of his boots, well......as he said last year......"they're just a pair of boots at the end of the day"
I generally like the way he goes about his business, but he does have a tendancy to slip into self-promotion mode. For example, in the last quarter with about three minuets left he was 55 out after taking a mark and ignored Lloyd who'd made a very good lead and elected to have a ping himself. His kick didn't make the distance and the players around him looked at him like it was exactly the thing they expected him to do.

A couple of minutes later, Reimers marked the ball closer to goal, and, in an attempt to win back some respect, kicked a hideous pass into Ryder who made it look good my taking a spectacular hanger. Reimers then starts running over to players for a high five and the players are like "Hi Kyle".

I'm all for the aggression he brings to the game, and to be honest, I couldn't care if he played the game in gumboots. However, he currently doesn't have the respect of the playing group and needs to pull his head in. We need characters in the game, but you can be both a character and a team player at the same time.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

His set up kick for Paddy was all class and we can expect more and more from this kid as he regains the tempo of the game.

"What Boots??"
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

rockhole wrote:His set up kick for Paddy was all class and we can expect more and more from this kid as he regains the tempo of the game.

"What Boots??"
All class? It was complete junk. If someone needs to take a hanger just to mark it, coming from three deep, the pass is not on.
hillchaser
High Draft Pick

Post by hillchaser »

Agree with most of that but didn't think that Dyson had a big impact on he outcome of the game. Popped up a few times but in general I thought he was quiet for a winger. - I will check the stats.

Will be interesting to see who comes in this week. McVeigh for sure ... but I would keep NLM rather than bring in Mcfee.

Hurley and Zaha will be deadset champions but their time will come ... at least we have the depth to cover our injuries...
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Why don't people want McPhee back in.

He absolutely ripped Travis Cloke a new one on ANZAC DAY
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Donnie's observations part one

1. Kyle Reimers will be the next player to make half time hero gringo look silly
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

gringo wrote:
I generally like the way he goes about his business, but he does have a tendancy to slip into self-promotion mode. For example, in the last quarter with about three minuets left he was 55 out after taking a mark and ignored Lloyd who'd made a very good lead and elected to have a ping himself. His kick didn't make the distance and the players around him looked at him like it was exactly the thing they expected him to do.

A couple of minutes later, Reimers marked the ball closer to goal, and, in an attempt to win back some respect, kicked a hideous pass into Ryder who made it look good my taking a spectacular hanger. Reimers then starts running over to players for a high five and the players are like "Hi Kyle".

I'm all for the aggression he brings to the game, and to be honest, I couldn't care if he played the game in gumboots. However, he currently doesn't have the respect of the playing group and needs to pull his head in. We need characters in the game, but you can be both a character and a team player at the same time.
Fair enough.

Although, I thought his kick to Ryder was a clever one. He knew Ryder would have the "sit" on his opponents if he lobbed it high enough. Perfectly placed for the typical and very common Ryder "big grab".

Just curious though, IIRC, you had Reimers associated with some "incident" with McVeigh in QLD last year (around about Crichton Medal time). Not sure if it occured, but do you know something about the kid that doesn't sit well with you?
Essendunny
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

gringo wrote:
rockhole wrote:His set up kick for Paddy was all class and we can expect more and more from this kid as he regains the tempo of the game.

"What Boots??"
All class? It was complete junk. If someone needs to take a hanger just to mark it, coming from three deep, the pass is not on.
Looked to me like he saw where Paddy was, figured he likes to take a hanger and though it would be a great way to finish the game.
No problem in my book.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Reimers... you'll have to be patient. He hasn't kicked a ball for pretty much the whole year.