Lloydy having a crack!!!

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Ronny Rotten
High Draft Pick

Lloydy having a crack!!!

Post by Ronny Rotten »

Who was Lloydy having a go at with his comments on discipline ,in the paper, Hirdy or Sheeds ?

Herald-Sun 18/7/09 " I saw a lot of things creep in over time in the early 2000's where we probably dropped the baton a bit. You want guys to walk in & know immediately how to behave,carry yourself & prepare for footy."

I agree with his sentiments but who was responsible for allowing this to happen in the first place.

When this was put to Hirdy on "On the Couch" last night he was nonplussed & defensive saying we had no incidents when he was captain. He was also non committal when asked if there was bad blood between himself & Lloyd.

Very Interesting. Hopefully a storm in a teacup.
nomolos
Club Captain

Re: Lloydy having a crack!!!

Post by nomolos »

Lloyd should just shut the f*** up.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

don't know why he is saying all this, he needs to concentrate on kicking goals. I hope there isn't any bad blood between lloyd and hirdy
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

This isn't new...he has made several references in the past to how things "went off the rails" a bit discipline wise in the last few years of Sheed's reign.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

There are a number of facets to captaincy and few in history could claim to have mastered them all. Lloyd has conceded previously that Hird was the better on-field captain (which I'm sure we all agree) but I think that he may be on the money in regards to some of the off-field stuff.

Hird seemed better when it came to on field leadership and media relations. I can't remember many games that Lloyd has dragged us back into since he became captain (he actually seems more tentative lining up for the crucial goals since becoming captain) and he is dangerous with a microphone in his hands. However, Lloyd seems better with regards to introducing and enforcing standards in preparation and discipline and showing new players what it takes to succeed as a professional sportsman.

Hird was captain from 1998 through 2005, so I'd say that his influence would primarily be on players from the 1997 through 2006 drafts. How many players from these drafts actually made it? If you compare the youngsters we developed under Thompson, O'Donnell and Watson to those we developed under Hird you'll see vastly different results. This applies to Buckley, too - Collingwood's youngsters have come along considerably better under Maxwell and Clement than they did under Buckley.

Lloyd has been captain since 2006 which would mean that he's influenced 2005-2008 drafts as captain. There are a number of other reasons why we may have improved here (coaching, recruiting, fitness and conditioning staff and structures, etc) but the captain has a say in outcomes as well. You also have to ask whether it's a coincidence that guys like Hille, Watson, McVeigh, Lovett and Welsh have stepped up so considerably under Knights / Lloyd or is it a result of increased discipline around the club?

I agree that bringing this stuff up in the media is a mistake but I think we're really reaping the benefits of having defined roles and responsibilities on the field, defined structures and strategies to play to and an increased focus on discipline and preparation off the field. Keep your trap shut and keep doing what you're doing Lloydy. Words are weak in comparison to results.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

In terms of players like Hille, McVeigh, Welsh, Watson taking the next step since Hird's retirement.

You could also say that they've taken this step up since Hird's retirement because they knew someone need to step up a fill the gap left by Hird's retirement. Wasn't that pretty much the gist of McVeigh's speech at the 2007 B&F.

Think this kind of thing is far too difficult to put down to one thing though, it would be a combination of natural player development, changes in coaching procedures, changes in player leadership, changes in fitness staff and so an so on.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

I seem to remember some of the personnel that were on the playing list in the last few years of Hird's captaincy who were not well known for their self-discipline or commitment. Thankfully most have been moved on and out.

Perhaps the absence of these "players" has improved the culture?

Cheers - STI
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

Lloyd is fine as captain. He is in our best 22 easily. even when beaten, there is no other player on the list capable of doing a better job forward.

Everything i have ever read about Lloydy is that he is the ultimate professional. I cannot see how he would be nothing other than respected at efc, which is really the number 1 thing when picking a leader. Cannot see how his views of the clubs slump post 2001 would effect now and tomorrow.

On the topic of leadership, would like to see Ryder given VC duties officially tho(i think sheedy mentioned that a while back). has stood up this year when given extra responsibility. another trait you need in a leader.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Wasn't there rumours of some bad blood between Hird and Lloyd during their playing days?

I don't see Paddy as a leader, he is too quiet and introverted for mine.

I reckon Lloyd is talking about Sheeds here... Sheeds brought in the garbage that we had to dispose of not Jimmy
Ronny Rotten
High Draft Pick

Post by Ronny Rotten »

Agree that Lloyd should concentrate on playing well & keep well away from the media. I shudder when he gives an interview.

I recall some years ago, playing against Melbourne, when Hird was captain, he received a dodgy free kick from a maggot after taking a dive, when interviewed later he admitted he took a dive, therby making the maggot look even more foolish than he already was. Since then he has hardly received a free, even when deserved.

Lloyd please shut up in the media, enforce the off field discipline & be the great player that he is & kick goals on field.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Something isn't quite right between Hirdy and the club. I have no idea what it is, but he seems to be quite "distant" when it comes to things EFC.
Essendunny
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

BenDoolan wrote:Something isn't quite right between Hirdy and the club. I have no idea what it is, but he seems to be quite "distant" when it comes to things EFC.
I think he just wants to give the place some space. At least I hope thats all it is.

Solly, Cupido, Zantuck etc. I think Lloyd's remarks were aimed at Sheedy. I am absolutely positive soemthing is going on there.
DC
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC »

lmao @ zantuck...supposedly our chb answer :lol:
andrewb wrote: "I think there will be all australian representation at some stage in their careers for winders and bradley".
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

I saw On the Couch and I reckon Hirdy was quite peeved with the insinuation of Lloydy's comments. He basically said the most demonstrative example of leadership was what was done on the field. This is a reflection of his style of leadership. I reckon Lloyd has a tendency to put his foot in his mouth on these issues. The discipline issues at Essendon at the end of Sheedy's reign are done and dusted and I tend to agree with Hird that the captain should concentrate more fully on his own form.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber