Best 4 EFC Interchange players in Sheedy's era

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
CameronClayton
High Draft Pick

Best 4 EFC Interchange players in Sheedy's era

Post by CameronClayton »

Just as a follow on from Filthy's thread. - this one is an interesting one, as it doesn't apply to 4 quarter players like Watson, TD, Hird & Madden etc.

I'm looking for those impact type players, who could come out onto the ground cold & pick up the ball first touch & do something magic. Generally the attributes of these sorts of players are goal hungry, a bit lazy (don't chase), very healthy egos & clean skills.

Obviously this suits the Nineties & Noughties players, since in the 80's the interchange blokes were normally more solid, reliable types.

My 4 would be Derek Kickett, Boris, Dean Rioli & Cupido, with a special mention to my namesake, who made a great impact on to Dipper's face one day at Windy Hill coming off the bench (I always wondered how many blokes shouted him a beer after that game).
Filthy

Re: Best 4 EFC Interchange players in Sheedy's era

Post by Filthy »

CameronClayton wrote:Just as a follow on from Filthy's thread. - this one is an interesting one, as it doesn't apply to 4 quarter players like Watson, TD, Hird & Madden etc.

I'm looking for those impact type players, who could come out onto the ground cold & pick up the ball first touch & do something magic. Generally the attributes of these sorts of players are goal hungry, a bit lazy (don't chase), very healthy egos & clean skills.

Obviously this suits the Nineties & Noughties players, since in the 80's the interchange blokes were normally more solid, reliable types.

My 4 would be Derek Kickett, Boris, Dean Rioli & Cupido, with a special mention to my namesake, who made a great impact on to Dipper's face one day at Windy Hill coming off the bench (I always wondered how many blokes shouted him a beer after that game).
LOL :D

Yeah pretty good....Stan came on in 85 GF and gave Matthews a fractured cheekbone as a goodbye present so he makes it as an "impact" player :wink:

Its actually hard to think of a few because now the whole 22 now generally get heaps of GT.....I'll sleep on it!!
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Can this apply to players who would normally start on the bench eg. Paul Barnard in the 2000 Grand Final.
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

Barnard
Bewick
Rioli
Alessio (sounds silly, but this guy did some real jobs for us coming off the bench as a second ruckman or second full forward)
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Longy was great for a spark off the bench late in his career.
Moorcroft for a few seasons was handy off the bench.
There must be plenty of others that escape me for the moment.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

What next....Name the Four Best Bootstudders during the Sheedy Era????
Gatsid
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gatsid »

I thought smokin Joe was a fairly good interchange player
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Windy_Hill wrote:What next....Name the Four Best Bootstudders during the Sheedy Era????
Oh boo-hoo. Just name 4 impact players. It is the of-season overall.

I reckon: Cupido, Bewick (later in career), Long (like bewick), Rioli
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

robrulz5 wrote:Can this apply to players who would normally start on the bench eg. Paul Barnard in the 2000 Grand Final.
He was the first name that came to mind when I saw this thread.
Former Captain of Kakadu Kangaroos - Inaugural OD Champions

Duckling Finance
Making Dreams Come True
Finance Consultant
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

How about Hirdy? Did pretty well coming off the bench that day he got dragged! :D
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Sismis wrote:How about Hirdy? Did pretty well coming off the bench that day he got dragged! :D
What about Lloyd in 2001, round 6. Gets one kick in the 1st quarter, in defence, which nearly goes out on the full. Gets dragged up until quarter time.

Kicks 10 goals in the remaining three quarters. Does that count? :D
He kicks on the left
That boy Hurley
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Rossoneri wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:What next....Name the Four Best Bootstudders during the Sheedy Era????
Oh boo-hoo. Just name 4 impact players. It is the of-season overall.

I reckon: Cupido, Bewick (later in career), Long (like bewick), Rioli
Damn it alright....Shane Heard, Steve Alessio, Paul Barnard, Chris Daniher
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

Paul Barnard easily number one
Michael Symons
Steve Alessio
Gary Moorcroft
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

I'd love to say Jack Mihocek (spelling?), but I'm pretty sure that's before Sheedy's time. The "granny stand" at Windy Hill used to go beserk when Jack came on. Actually, the coach at the time (Tuddy) used to sometimes come off the bench, too, I think. Can't remember for sure - I was pretty young then!
Stocksy
On the Rookie List

Post by Stocksy »

Paul Barnard - Always Made an impact when not starting. True Team man who would give everything out there.

Blake Caracella - Remember during the good sides of 99,00,01 he was regarded as the best 19th man in the comp. May have been to do with the fact we had such a fantastic team and wouldn't always get a quality defender but never disappointed when lining up for goal.

Darren Bewik - Always gave oppositons a headache around the goals and although he only played the bench role late in his career still rates among the best to fill this role.

And Derek Kickett - Not always in the best shape for a footballer but the natural abillity of this man was amazing as was the footskills and precision passing. Was a sad day to see him not retire as an Essendon player and make the move to Sydney, as well as not taking his place in the Grand Final side..
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Im going to do it differently. Interchange players are not always "impact" players who are spectacular and change the game, if that was the case they would in all likelhood be starting on the ground. Players like Long, Bewick etc started on the ground for probably 85% of the careers, I don't think they count.

What im going to name is my top 4 "real" interchange players - the players who weren't necessarily good enough to start on the ground most of the time but always did a very serviceable job when they came on. Interchange players who you could really trust.

Top 4 (in no particular order):

David Grenvold
David Flood
Paul Barnard
Peter Cransberg
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

I still reckon david Flood was more stiff than Derek Kickett to miss the '93 GF. Kicket was playing very poorly for around 5 weeks. Flood didnt put a foot wrong in harveys absence.
He kicks on the left
That boy Hurley
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Rossoneri wrote:I still reckon david Flood was more stiff than Derek Kickett to miss the '93 GF. Kicket was playing very poorly for around 5 weeks. Flood didnt put a foot wrong in harveys absence.
Agree 100% - except i thought he was playing badly for 10 weeks, not 5! Perfectly justified exclusion I thought.

And Flood was very stiff. Very solid player.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Staggy wrote:Im going to do it differently. Interchange players are not always "impact" players who are spectacular and change the game, if that was the case they would in all likelhood be starting on the ground. Players like Long, Bewick etc started on the ground for probably 85% of the careers, I don't think they count.

What im going to name is my top 4 "real" interchange players - the players who weren't necessarily good enough to start on the ground most of the time but always did a very serviceable job when they came on. Interchange players who you could really trust.

Top 4 (in no particular order):

David Grenvold
David Flood
Paul Barnard
Peter Cransberg
I don't ever recall David Grenvold being much of a bench player at all. He was always selected on the ground and one of the first picked on selection night.
Leigh
Top Up Player

Post by Leigh »

Bewick
Moorcroft
Barnard
Rioli
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.