Lucas to call it quits

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Lucas to call it quits

Post by boncer34 »

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st ... 22,00.html

Seems Scotty has seen the writing on the wall and is going to retire at the end of the year
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Re: Lucas to call it quits

Post by Crazyman »

I wouldn't be surprised either way with Scotty, but will wait for an official announcement. Personally, I would much rather he announced and got a chance to have a farewell game than after the season being told 'don't come back'...Also, I think if he does retire, it is even more important that Lloyd & Fletch play on at least one more season, but given their respective careers, one couldn't blame them if they decided to say ta ta also...
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Unfortunately this day has come very suddenly for a bloke who was extremely consistent and durable for a long period of time. The knee injury was the beginning of the end I guess. An absolute club champion. I think I'll wait until the official word comes out though.....
Essendunny
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

We all have to get old, unfortunately.
Personally, I would much rather he announced and got a chance to have a farewell game than after the season being told 'don't come back'...
He'll get a farewell game, don't have to worry about that. And if he does call it quits, it's at the right time. It would be sad to see him push on another year if his body doesn't want to do what the mind tells it (Gehrig, amongst others, is a great example of this)
DC
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC »

Also, I think if he does retire, it is even more important that Lloyd & Fletch play on at least one more season, but given their respective careers, one couldn't blame them if they decided to say ta ta also...
Fletch retire??!! LMFAO...

He is still probably our best and most consistent player, not to mention still playing at a high level. No retirement for fletch...he is our Robert Harvey.

As for Lloyd he is playing just as bad as Lucas almost. I thought he was gone last year, but he turned it around and killed it in the 2nd half of the season. But this year Lloyd has truely stunk. '

Neagle
Gumby
Watson
Hurely
Pears

Future is now.
andrewb wrote: "I think there will be all australian representation at some stage in their careers for winders and bradley".
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

DC...I did not say he will retire, I only said that if he does, one can't blame him...after all, he will turn 35 next season...

For mine, I hope he doesn't retire. I agree that he is still our best player and that he seems to be holding up physically (mentally has never been a problem for Fletch)
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

sad to see him retire but it is the right time, he'll get a massive sendoff which is all player would hope for! good luck to him if these are his last 4 games, hope he kicks a few!
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

It'll be a sad day I think. If I was still a kid, I'd be wearing the number 25 on my back, and would've for close on 10 years.

A perennial favourite of mine, along with Fletch.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

The Scott Lucas of the last two years won't be the one we all remember. We'll all remember him for taking marks 60 metres out and drilling goals without the slightest thought of a handpass.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

In my opinion, the best Centre Half Forward we have had in 30 years

Also the Best Centre Half Back we have had since TD was doing his thing

For some reason, and I still cannot for the life of me understand, this absolute Essendon champ was once roasted by his own fans???!!!!

Scotty is a true legend

How good was this forward line

HF - Hird Lucas Caracella
FF - Bewick Lloyd Mercuri
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Windy_Hill wrote:In my opinion, the best Centre Half Forward we have had in 30 years

Also the Best Centre Half Back we have had since TD was doing his thing

For some reason, and I still cannot for the life of me understand, this absolute Essendon champ was once roasted by his own fans???!!!!

Scotty is a true legend

How good was this forward line

HF - Hird Lucas Caracella
FF - Bewick Lloyd Mercuri
hmmm good memories there... would be handy right now!!

Lucas will definately be missed as are all champions when they decide to retire. Its kinda unfortunate that Lucas has been in Lloydy's shadow really since he came to the club. in any other side he would have been seen as the champion full forward and kicked a couple hundred more goals. Always loved watching Scotty get the ball from outside 50... we all knew where it was going to end up. Best match i have seen him play was against the Bulldogs early in 2000, kicked 6 goals that day and just bombed them from everywhere on the ground!!!

Lets hope that if these are his last 4 games that they are good ones!!
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

For a bloke whose chin seems to be stapled to his chest, he's been an amazing footballer for us.

He rivals Bewick for playing the game with one thought in mind.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

How about his last quarter in Hird and Sheeds last game ? He kicked 7 and nearly won the game off his own boot. We were well down until he got us going. That would have been one of the most miraculous comeback wins of all time had we pulled it off.

Scott had been really lucky with injuries throughout his career but obviously the knee injury from last year has slowed him down just enough to find him a metre or two behind the pace. The pace of the game has also increased in this time.

He has always been and out and out champion of the Essendon football club and needs to be remembered as such.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

We'll miss the Boy From Camperdown, that's for sure.

But now is the right time for him to go.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

MH_Bomber wrote: Scott had been really lucky with injuries throughout his career but obviously the knee injury from last year has slowed him down just enough to find him a metre or two behind the pace. The pace of the game has also increased in this time.
I don't know he's been super lucky with injuries, hasn't had many but when he has got them they've been of a serious nature.

Busted his leg in 99, and that as much as Hird's busted foot cost us a premiership. It just goes to show how good that side was, we were missing two of our top 6 players, and really they only that cost us at least a spot in the Grand Final if not premiership was complancey.

His knee injury last year is what has killed his career. Lost a lot of speed and agility as a result of that knee injury and that is essentially what has ended his career. End of 2007 he looked like he could easily play another 3-4 years at least.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

and this weeks game is 1 less he'll play :( Knee injury, not sure how bad
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Scotty is just getting old - knee wouldnt have helped but lets be honest, he was never the quickest guy going around. What I have noticed is that he is being worked off the ball to easily and I think he seems to have lost his contested marking ability

Either way, time to go big fella and you do so with the dull respect of the football community - a real champ
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

Windy_Hill wrote:Scotty is just getting old - knee wouldnt have helped but lets be honest, he was never the quickest guy going around. What I have noticed is that he is being worked off the ball to easily and I think he seems to have lost his contested marking ability

Either way, time to go big fella and you do so with the dull respect of the football community - a real champ
Good to see your positive attitude there Windy :P :lol: