Lloyd

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
nomolos
Club Captain

Lloyd

Post by nomolos »

Ill take Hurley for the future FF...you may now depart the scene.
dom_105
Club Captain

Re: Lloyd

Post by dom_105 »

One more season will do him, methinks.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Not sure until Neagle can consistently take marks with one grab. Seems to be snatching at the ball - even when not under pressure.

Also not sure that Neagle is quite ready to accept the Captaincy :roll:

Cheers - STI
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

sti dreams wrote:Also not sure that Neagle is quite ready to accept the Captaincy :roll:

Cheers - STI
Why not? All it really requires at Essendon is that you can harp on about how disciplined everyone now is, and on your off days do a spot of commentating for channel 10.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

I'll go with one more year as well until we get Gumby up and running.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

JumboPaddy wrote:I'll go with one more year as well until we get Gumby up and running.
That's still an if.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

robbie67 wrote:
sti dreams wrote:Also not sure that Neagle is quite ready to accept the Captaincy :roll:

Cheers - STI
Why not? All it really requires at Essendon is that you can harp on about how disciplined everyone now is, and on your off days do a spot of commentating for channel 10.
Although Jay is unlikely to adopt the school headmaster tone ... he hasn't been eased into the media yet through the footy show and special comments on channel 31. He also needs to do an ad or two....

Cheers - STI
bpdons
High Draft Pick

Post by bpdons »

I know he wants to stay with the Dons and we love him so much, but Geelong are screaming for a goalkicking forward. Id like to see if he could kick another ton - given the talent with their midfielders delivery. Could be worth a top 20 pick - maybe.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

bpdons wrote:I know he wants to stay with the Dons and we love him so much, but Geelong are screaming for a goalkicking forward. Id like to see if he could kick another ton - given the talent with their midfielders delivery. Could be worth a top 20 pick - maybe.
Only deal i'd consider is a straight swap for Selwood.

Cheers - STI
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

Wouldn't like to lose Lloyd and Lucas in one hit.

Lloyd has seen the best day of his career but he still has a bit more to give.

I reckon another two years he'll be ready to take on full time commentary duties (and I'd love to see a Bomber with 1000 goals on the CV).
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

My preference would be:

Lucas to retire this year.
Lloyd next year.
Fletcher 2011.

Our forward line looked much better last night without Lloyd and Lucas. Exciting but sad for the great men.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

BomberinJapan wrote:Our forward line looked much better last night without Lloyd and Lucas. Exciting but sad for the great men.
Correct. I said the same thing earlier in the year when we first relegated Lucas to Bendigo - the forward line looked noticeably sharper for his absence. Not that it matters seeing as he'll be retired at the end of the year and there's only 3 games left, but he's not in the best 22 anymore.

We still desperately need a forward coach, though. Neagle spent too much time leading up to the wings and flanks when he should be exclusively an inside forward 50 lead-and-mark forward at this stage.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

BomberinJapan wrote:My preference would be:

Lucas to retire this year.
Lloyd next year.
Fletcher 2011.

Our forward line looked much better last night without Lloyd and Lucas. Exciting but sad for the great men.

Id prefer never for Fletch!!! I think you have it pretty much spot on though. Lloyd is still a very dangerous forward and will still take one of the oppositions best defenders each week. I think he should hand over the captaincy to Hille, Watson or Spike for next year though and just purely concentrate on his footy.

Neagle and Hurley did look exciting last night but they still have a lot of learning to do before they replace Lloyd. Hopefully Gumbleton can shake his injuries next year and start having an impact as well.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Neagle has 26 goals from his first 16 games. Lloyd kicked 25 from his first 16 games

I think Neagle is the man
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Neagles problem is that he doesn't time his leads, he leads far too early and by the time they are ready to kick to him, he is spent after leading 3-4 times.
Also, our slow movement didn't help him, nor did him dropping 2 easy marks.

The more Neagle plays, the more accustomed he will get to the midfielders and their kicking styles and the better he will be.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Rossoneri wrote:Neagles problem is that he doesn't time his leads, he leads far too early and by the time they are ready to kick to him, he is spent after leading 3-4 times.
Also, our slow movement didn't help him, nor did him dropping 2 easy marks.

The more Neagle plays, the more accustomed he will get to the midfielders and their kicking styles and the better he will be.
This.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
DC
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC »

I agree with Windy.

I have been calling for Neagles inclusion for months. He just needs more game time, thats all. The guys played all of 16 games and ppl are saying until he does this and that he plays behind Lloyd. Neagles time is now. Lloyds time was yesterday.

The simple fact is when the ball goes into the forward line to Neagle things seem to happen more frequently than with Lloyd. He is also a better more accurate kick than Lloyd is now.
andrewb wrote: "I think there will be all australian representation at some stage in their careers for winders and bradley".
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

DC wrote:I agree with Windy.

I have been calling for Neagles inclusion for months. He just needs more game time, thats all. The guys played all of 16 games and ppl are saying until he does this and that he plays behind Lloyd. Neagles time is now. Lloyds time was yesterday.

The simple fact is when the ball goes into the forward line to Neagle things seem to happen more frequently than with Lloyd. He is also a better more accurate kick than Lloyd is now.
Also, I dont think Lloyd really started clicking until 1998, 3 years into his career. Lets have a look at his avergae goals per game on a season by season basis

Overall Average - 269 Games, 926 Goals, Ave Goals per Game = 3.44

1995 - 5 Games, 7 Goals, Ave Goals per Game = 1.40
1996 - 11 Games, 18 Goals, Ave Goals per Game = 1.63
1997 - 20 Games, 63 Goals, Ave Goals per Game = 3.15
1998 - 23 Games, 70 Goals, Ave Goals per Game = 3.04
1999 - 22 Games, 87 Goals, Ave Goals per Game = 3.95
2000 - 25 Games, 109 Goals, Ave Goals per Game = 4.36
2001 - 21 Games, 105 Goals, Ave Goals per Game = 5.00
2002 - 16 Games, 47 Goals, Ave Goals per Game = 2.93
2003 - 22 Games, 93 Goals, Ave Goals per Game = 4.22
2004 - 24 Games, 96 Goals, Ave Goals per Game = 4.00
2005 - 20 Games, 59 Goals, Ave Goals per Game = 2.95
2006 - 3 Games, 13 Goals, Ave Goals per Game = 4.33
2007 - 19 Games, 62 Goals, Ave Goals per Game = 3.26
2008 - 21 Games, 62 Goals, Ave Goals per Game = 2.95
2009 - 17 Games, 35 Goals, Ave Goals per Game = 2.05

Injury obviously hurt his output in 2002 and 2006 (would have probably made it to the 1000 goal mark had it not been for these wrecked seasons). What is clear is that he really didnt start dominating games consistently until he had 30-50 games under his belt. During this period he was avergaing around 3.5 goals a game. After 80 games and 5 season, he then stepped up to the big league enjoying golden years in 2000, 2001, 2003 and 2004.

So I think Neagle has it all in front of him - he hasnt had the luxury of having FF to himself as Lloyd did from when his career started. Jay has had to fit in with the incumbent Lloyd still being first priority. I reckon if Jay had 20 straight games on his own at FF he could very easily hit the 3 goal average. Whether he becomes the great that Lloyd has become is possibly doubtful. However, if he can play 200 games aT 3 Goals a game, he becomes a second greatest full forward and goal scorer the club has had
JimboC
Top Up Player

Post by JimboC »

bombercol wrote:Wouldn't like to lose Lloyd and Lucas in one hit.

I reckon another two years he'll be ready to take on full time commentary duties (and I'd love to see a Bomber with 1000 goals on the CV).

I co-sign with this.
The Watson Factor....
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

JimboC wrote:
bombercol wrote:Wouldn't like to lose Lloyd and Lucas in one hit.

I co-sign with this.
Unfortunately at his current scoring rate he weill need more than 2 seasons to reach 1000. Am afraid it wont happen